New forum member blown away! - Page 7
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: New forum member blown away!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

New forum member blown away!

Quote Originally Posted by candyhandcraft View Post
    I just read all your works and see that you're doing right way. Your straps get better every single day. Love to see more works from you and give some advice if possible.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I try to practice a little every day even if just stitching a small scrap together just before bed. My thumb aches every morning!

I find that with such a small item as a watch strap everything counts. Every stitch and awl punch matters. Front/back/side, it's the details that makes it look good or bad. That's why it's easy to get frustrated. There's always something that's wrong. But with practice things get a little better each time.

PM me. I can use the help and I'll try to give help when I can.

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...
    Last edited by webicons; March 29th, 2017 at 16:58.

Re: New forum member blown away!

Try these tool first:
    Ebay item
    #371742873540, #401217293971 >>>2 types of leather hole tool for stitching that save your hand in the butt. You can try 3mm and 4mm type for your own experiences.
    #262861695097: a cheap edge tool for starter. Use it for straighten stitching.
    #301240796290: heat edge beading tool for professional finish.

They are just basic for starter. I warn you that you may need thousands dollar for best tools, such as Amy Roke, Vergez Blanchard...etc, if you want to do it seriously. That's for the tool only. By addicted to handcraft, i'm addicted to nice special leather type. It cost much more money than i can imagine. Control yourself on buying leather.
    There are also many type of leather that you can learn and decide which is the best for your product.
    That's just few points that i want to share with you. Hope any of them can help you.
    Best wishes to your works.
    webicons likes this.

Calling out for some help here:

If you take a look at the strap below you can clearly see that it ends badly at the tip.

I start from a fixed point near the lugs and then using either chisels or the wheel make my way down towards the tip.

Now sometimes it ends well with even spacing on both sides converging to a nice point but sometimes, like here, it doesn't.

Can anyone give me some advice? Much thanks in advance!

This one does not seem to have started from a fixed point at the lugs.

Pallet Spoon and webicons like this.

Quote Originally Posted by webicons View Post

If you take a look at the strap below you can clearly see that it ends badly at the tip.

I start from a fixed point near the lugs and then using either chisels or the wheel make my way down towards the tip.

Now sometimes it ends well with even spacing on both sides converging to a nice point but sometimes, like here, it doesn't.

It's simple tips that most starter didn't know. Please punch first hole at the tip side first and you can begin from that to lug side each line.
    webicons likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    This one does not seem to have started from a fixed point at the lugs.

Is it angle of the shot or the lug's stitches are not balance?

They're way off.

Quote Originally Posted by candyhandcraft View Post
    Is it angle of the shot or the lug's stitches are not balance?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Helps to start at the same point both sides and also us the exact same pressure on marking the holes, differing pressure whilst marking will mark holes unevenly.

webicons likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

I start by marking the holes first and I mark the tip first. Then once I am happy (rarely LOL) or happy enough with the result, I make the holes.

That strap looks really plump :) did you use yeast infused padding? JK ;) Also the stitches are really nice
    Last edited by straps68; April 1st, 2017 at 22:03.

straps68

Thanks guys - what a "duh" moment when I heard the advice.

My logic was that the area closest to the lugs were most visible so I should start there but starting at the tip makes more sense now.

Worked out like a charm with this one..

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information