WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New forum member blown away!

6K views 109 replies 22 participants last post by  webicons 
#1 ·
First thing that I have to say is "INCREDIBLE WORK GUYS!"

Been a member for a little while but never noticed this subforum (old age) and now that I started to learn leather craft I am inspired by this forum. Craftsmanship, vision and execution all very impressive.

The impetus to learn the craft was the purchase of a PAM-320 and since then I have had a much better appreciation and understanding of what goes into making a nice strap, wallet, belt, etc. Love is all in the details.

If I may, I'll be calling on you to help me along. Just wanted to introduce myself to the sub and let everyone know how much I appreciate this forum and WUS community.

#8 ·
Thanks Castor! I started from scratch about a month or so ago after I picked up a Panerai.

Being the cheap bastard that I am I figured that I could save a few bucks by making what I want.

There are so many YouTube videos, tutorials (many here on WUS) and other leathercraft forums that cut the learning curve a bit.

May look good from the photos but when I look at some of the professional work I come up lacking.

Its good therapy after a rough day at the office if nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Thanks Castor! I started from scratch about a month or so ago after I picked up a Panerai.

Being the cheap bastard that I am I figured that I could save a few bucks by making what I want.
Exactly how I started. Great work so far!

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I agree with all of your comments.

The most important thing is that the strap fits the watch and looks appropriate.

Right now I'm just messing around and getting a feel for leather, what works and what doesn't, and working out design issues that can't be done mentally.

Leather is an interesting media but sometimes it doesn't want to cooperate. Im going to start buying the appropriate tools soon so that should make things easier. "Stone knives and bear skins" - anyone?

I appreciate the support and comments.

#13 ·
This is in the eyes of most because this is what has been considered the norm, but what rules are there if not meant to be broken from time to time, I personally like that oversized bund-esque strap, where others don't, it's all subjective really.

Thanks guys. I agree with all of your comments.

The most important thing is that the strap fits the watch and looks appropriate.

Right now I'm just messing around and getting a feel for leather, what works and what doesn't, and working out design issues that can't be done mentally.

Leather is an interesting media but sometimes it doesn't want to cooperate. Im going to start buying the appropriate tools soon so that should make things easier. "Stone knives and bear skins" - anyone?

I appreciate the support and comments.

#15 ·
Thanks for posting. Nice straps which I like even if not perfect.

To give critical feedback (in hopefully a friendly way) I would say that the stitched strap needs one extra stitch at the top of the strap nearest the lugs, or at least a start the stitching closer to the lug for better visual balance. I say that with some hesitation because it is based on internalized memory of what I have seen before, not that your strap is unattractive. I would certainly wear it on one of my watches.
Secondly the Bund strap is a little too wide underneath the watch case (which was already acknowledged), though your picture made me realize that making generic Bund straps is more challenging since there are two variables or more to keep in mind, the lug width as well as the case diameter/shape. Not saying that your first Bund looks bad, just that if I were wearing it with that watch I would want minimal overlap.

Again I liked your straps and thanks for sharing. It must be great to make your own strap to meet your own criteria, whether that be the size or color.:-!

#17 ·
I really do appreciate all the feedback both critical or not and I really do learn something every time I try to make a strap.

The other day I realized that making the leather wet helps to make a tight bend. Seems like such a no brainer, stupid thing to overlook...but I did.

I also made a mistake on this strap by using a cloth to polish the leather that I used previously to dye. After cursing to myself for such a stupid mistake I realized that it gave the leather an antique look and just did it again until everything evened out.

Reactions: Karkarov
#19 ·
Got stressed out last night so I sat down and made a strap. Zen-like state.

This is from one of those crappy leather belts I got. First time using edge coat. Interesting look it gives. Reminds me of a piano.

Can anyone give me pointers on how to make perfectly strait stitching holes? Mine wavers using the forks.

#20 ·
Can anyone give me pointers on how to make perfectly strait stitching holes? Mine wavers using the forks.
I don't make my own straps so take what I say with a grain of salt, but if I had to bet on it the answer is practice, practice, and more practice. Any kind of work relying on fine details, and hand eye coordination needs a certain level of experience before you can do it "right".

Meanwhile for a novice your straps look pretty darn solid.

#22 ·
So this is the first time that I'm actually satisfied with my work. I took my time, taking breaks in between cleaning my work area (if you can call an old beat up coffee table a work area).

I feel that this practice thing is finally starting to pay off.

#25 ·
Took a break from straps to work on my stitching with a journal cover. Used the strap and brass ball from a vintage ammo case as the closure.

Still holding on to the large pieces of leather from the ammo case until I feel that I can do it justice.

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

#27 ·
Thanks Shane - appreciate the feedback.

I'm slowly getting more proficient with leather-working skills but my trouble is trying to come up with something original.

I've pretty much been copying other designs to get a handle on things but what I would really like to do is develop my own unique signature style.

Can't say it's all been done before but time has distilled general watch strap designs to near perfection.

I may have to find an outlet outside of straps that would allow me to express more creativity.

#31 ·
Check out the YouTube videos by Ian Atkinson. I highly recommended them. Easy to understand and concise he clearly explains concepts and practices rather than just examples.

His website has links to the videos as well:
http://www.ianatkinson.net/leather/

#30 ·
Finished this one late last night. Stitching coming along but still forgetting to do stupid stuff like forget to punch the hole for the buckle!

Anyone have pointers on how to make it look old and vintage other than wearing it or otherwise abusing it?

#32 ·
I'm going to use this thread to document my progress every so often. I think it will be fun to see things progress as I practice more. It's been a little over a month I can see an improvement from my first.

So here's one I just finished up. Learned two things this time:
I should pull harder when stitching and get the stitch line closer to the edge. Think it looks better that way.

#33 · (Edited)
I'm going to use this thread to document my progress every so often. I think it will be fun to see things progress as I practice more.
I should pull harder when stitching and get the stitch line closer to the edge. Think it looks better that way.

That's a good idea, you'll wish you hadn't though in time, because what you do today that looks good, in time you'll over look them and not be happy lol you will be happy though with your personal progress, just not what you have done prior, personally I have never made a strap yet that I was 100% happy with, there is always that what if or sh*t I missed that or did that wrong haha.
be careful when PULLING HARDER on your stitch, remember all a stitch does is hold two pieces of leather together it doesn't need to be torqued down so it sinks into the surface of the hide, the tighter it is the easier it is for you to pull a stitch into one another, basically tear through and make a big hole from one to another. As to getting closer to the edge, this is something you determine as a maker, again there is not real guidelines in just how close to the edge, now saying that the closer to the edge you go you'll get a rippling effect down the edges if you get to close, leather is soft so the closer you go there is some give in the hide from making the holes and filling those holes with thread, more so with a course thread.#

Crap forgot to mention your last one looks bloody good mate.

#35 ·
So I walked into this textile store hoping that they would maybe have some leather to play around with. Walking up and down the isles I didn't see anything interesting but then tucked into the corner was this tiny little piece of nicely aged scrap leather.

I asked the lady and she said that it has been there since the store opened up about 25 years ago! Asked how much and she said free. Win!

#36 ·
I love it when that kind of stuff happens FREE what a result.|>|>

So I walked into this textile store hoping that they would maybe have some leather to play around with. Walking up and down the isles I didn't see anything interesting but then tucked into the corner was this tiny little piece of nicely aged scrap leather.

I asked the lady and she said that it has been there since the store opened up about 25 years ago! Asked how much and she said free. Win!

#37 ·
So today I learned how to do a Zig Zag stitch. Not really my thing but I've seen it done really well and can make certain straps really pop.

I finished off my first 25 meter roll of thread so I'm going to buy the large roll. Now things are really starting to add up cost wise.

While I am happy with the progress I'm making, pretty much everything has gone into the scrap bin. I just can't seem to get it just right.

#40 ·
I've been playing around with dyes, which I have learned is almost as important as putting a strap together well.

Tried to make a mellow yellow but it came out more saddle colored.

Don't know what to do with the edges yet. I like it clean and contrasting but it looks too...unfinished. Typically I would burnish it but I think that would make it too old fashioned looking. Any thoughts?

#41 ·
This particular strap! I would'nt touch it with anything, just wear the heck out of it and the edges will soak up moisture sweat oils from your own skin and in time NOT LONG you'll see it become killer and the patina will kick A$$.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.