Please help me finding a suitable "accessory" for my requirement.
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Please help me finding a suitable "accessory" for my requirement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Please help me finding a suitable "accessory" for my requirement.

Hi folks,

So let me explain my concern using following picture:
    Name:  z.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  55.2 KB

As you can see this is a pretty typical NATO strap. If I use it in the normal way, there are 2 layers of nylon between case back and my wrist -- I think it is too thick and unnecessary.

In order to reduce one layer, I am thinking about cutting "A" part from this strap.

But that leaves me a problem: whenever I grab the strap on "B" part, there is a risk that the whole watch head could slip away from the strap and drop to the floor, which is pretty hard I am sure :(

What I can think about to fix the problem is finding a tiny little "accessory" to fit in the holes("C" part) in order to stop the watch from slipping.

Now here's the question: what kind of "accessory" can I utilize?
    I kind of have the idea of how it looks like: it should look like a flat button shape of thing, very easy to fit and remove, very flat on the wrist side.
    But I don't even know what keyword to search on eBay.

Please help.

Thanks,

/Jeremy

Re: Please help me finding a suitable "accessory" for my requirement.

I believe the "extra layer" "part a" protects and keeps your spring bars from accidentally coming off. Why not just get a 2 piece nylon strap? Also you realize that you are trying to shave a 1/2 mm off of overall height, don't know if the squeeze is worth the juice.
    Last edited by LeatherneckSD; April 20th, 2017 at 05:41.
    Chromejob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherneckSD View Post
    I believe the "extra layer" "part a" protects and keeps your spring bars from accidentally coming off. Why not just get a 2 piece nylon strap? Also you realize that you are trying to shave a 1/2 mm off of overall height, don't know if the squeeze is worth the juice.
    There is no way to keep spring bars from coming off except for stronger/tighter spring bars. The extra layer certainly can't do that.
    The whole "going through" design is to prevent single spring bar failure causing the whole watch to fall off. I do appreciate this protection so 2-piece nylon strap is not my option. But for that purpose only one layer enough.

In fact I can go with 3-ring ZULU strap which is basically a standard NATO strap minus the "A" part but that leaves me exactly the same problem...
    Chromejob likes this.

A: handle it more carefully. A watch doesn't slide off and fall to the floor if you're taking care in handling.

Also: Making a 1960s style nylon strap from a modern style G10 NATO strap

\\ Sent from an Android or iOS device //
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

The challenge for your idea is the size of the holes.... if it weren't a hole, but a 'slot', as a button hole on a dress shirt, you could use a tuxedo shirt stud....

But 'Part A" serves the purpose of retaining the watch and protecting it from the exact scenario you are worried about... I found that using very thick spring bars creates enough friction to do the same....
    jerouy likes this.

I think you're over-analysing the problem. You'll find that after a while the nylon will develop a 'memory' and conform to the shape of the spring bars/watch case and will stay secure. I've worn single piece nylon straps for years and never had a watch head slip, let alone slip off a strap. Thicker nylon is better than thinner for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry H View Post
    I think you're over-analysing the problem. You'll find that after a while the nylon will develop a 'memory' and conform to the shape of the spring bars/watch case and will stay secure. I've worn single piece nylon straps for years and never had a watch head slip, let alone slip off a strap. Thicker nylon is better than thinner for this.
    Probably your watch is lighter and your strap is thicker.
    The strap in picture is actually fine due to its thickness. I have another perlon strap for this watch. That one is much thinner and it happened once when I picked up the watch by grabbing its buckle the watch head fell(on bed, thankfully). Now every time I am grabbing the watch head. But the problem still exists and I could be careless sometimes or someone else tries to pick it in the wrong way...

The "shirt stud" mentioned by #5 sounds like a good idea. I may visit local jewellery shop to have a check.

Or I may try to DIY something from one of these lol
    Name:  4106NQk7WDL._SX300_.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  15.8 KB

Please help me finding a suitable "accessory" for my requirement.

You're both correct. A thick strap won't reave through. A sturdy strap (and even a good Eulit Kristal perlon strap) will start to hold the shape of the watch and create some friction against the spring bars. Thicker spring bars will help with some but not all straps. I've had a watch slip off when I putting it on, though, adn the head went SLAP! on the kitchen floor, knocking the minute hand off.

The key here is to NOT pick up the wtch by the buckle! This should be obvious. Get out of this habit. Other people might pick it up wrong? Don't let them. Watch head loose on the strap? Put the watch on over the dresser, or bed, or over a counter, not over a hard floor.

OP, try getting one of those "starter" ear studs they sell in boutiques for initial piercing. Some are very small balls that should work, just blunt the tip (cut with wire cutters, file smooth) then bend in place. I personally think this will look goofy.

Another solution I've seen a forum member is use small nylon "equipment" cord (countycomm sells some in grey, orange), run through the spring bars and secured somehow to the strap (doesn't show in his pics). Looks kind of cool.

In my tutorial I describe how to make a reasonably firm cloth keeper out of the spare strap. You could make the keeper very firm on a single layer of the strap, and keep that on the point end, while using the original metal keepers for the point beyond the buckle.

Speaking of those metal keepers, you could cut the keeper off the "A" strap, and then fix it to a couple of holes, IF they're the right distance from each other. :..

Last edited by Chromejob; April 20th, 2017 at 15:26.
    jerouy likes this.
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Thanks Chromejob, your tutorial is awesome! Thanks!

You're most welcome, I'm always glad to hear the DIY post was useful to others.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information