Scotch Tape clasp protection?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Scotch Tape clasp protection?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Scotch Tape clasp protection?

I've been doing this for a few years and just curious if anyone else does (or something similar). On metal watch bands I put scotch tape (matte, not shiny) on my watch clasps so when my wrists rest on my desk I don't scratch up the clasp. It's easy to remove and reapply but for the most part it's kept them looking like new. It's also not noticeable to the naked eye.

Smart idea or just a sign I have an OCD problem about scratches on watches? :)

-Mc
    Sgt.Pepper likes this.

Re: Scotch Tape clasp protection?

Quote Originally Posted by McHale View Post
    I've been doing this for a few years and just curious if anyone else does (or something similar). On metal watch bands I put scotch tape (matte, not shiny) on my watch clasps so when my wrists rest on my desk I don't scratch up the clasp. It's easy to remove and reapply but for the most part it's kept them looking like new. It's also not noticeable to the naked eye.

Smart idea or just a sign I have an OCD problem about scratches on watches? :)

-Mc
    I'd go with "OCD" :)

In other words, "normal" for a member of the WUS community!

BTW, 3M makes the Scotch Tape you use and they also make a clear but thicker product that serves the same function when it's applied to the front of an automobile to prevent chips in the paint (and I guess maybe scratches too?).

Peace,
    R.
    McHale likes this.

Seems like a good idea. Grandmas everywhere would approve.

Al Faromeo, McHale and Sgt.Pepper like this.

Good idea. I'm OCD too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    McHale likes this.

I'm definitely OCD about almost anything to the point I carry my own cutlery wherever I go, just in case I eat at a restaurant, so sticking tape on your clasps is not that odd at all, although I have only ever done that by accident on a new one where I never realized it was there until it started to peel off, if I ever get a scuff on the clasp I do go Scotch but in the form of a green pad.
    McHale likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

I am a retired Engineer and Musician; I've suffered from OCD for all my life. However I am much older now and retired, so I really don't care so much about the scrapes, scratches and bruises on my beloved things. Believe me after 68 years, my body has collected a lot of these on my own. I think all my imperfections has given proof that I have lived and enjoyed my life. My watches deserve the same respect since they have been with me during my journeys.
    McHale and SHANE 1000 like this.

I do it mainly so the watch is "worth more" if it was to be sold. I keep all receipts, manuals, boxes, etc. for them. The ironic thing is, as of today (and I'm almost 46 years old) I've never sold a wrist watch or a pocket watch ever and I was a heavy collector for a while. I have every single watch I've ever owned* going back to my childhood. When I die, someone is going to be very appreciative of the fact I've taken good care of them *OR* they're just going to dump them cheap and could care less. Who knows...

*Disclaimer, there is ONE watch I do not have anymore and I'm still debating whether I'll pick up another. It kept lousy time and broke shortly after I started wearing it.

Name:  0766e28abfcce8e94e0d390b079ade39.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  32.7 KB
    SHANE 1000 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonCity View Post
    I really don't care so much about the scrapes, scratches and bruises on my beloved things. Believe me after 68 years, my body has collected a lot of these on my own. I think all my imperfections has given proof that I have lived and enjoyed my life. My watches deserve the same respect since they have been with me during my journeys.
    Love these comments and they totally makes so much sense too.

Name:  a scotch-tape-.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  92.2 KB
    Last edited by SHANE 1000; July 30th, 2017 at 00:11.
    McHale and Sgt.Pepper like this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Dude you're insane
    GreatScott likes this.

I tried this idea using the same film commonly used to protect cell phone displays. It actually works quite well, and is surprisingly durable.
    I need a life...........
    McHale and Sgt.Pepper like this.
    Shaun Farrier

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information