"Seatbelt" NATO strap roundup: BluShark, Cincy, PhenomeNato, and WatchGecko (Picture heavy!) - Page 4
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: "Seatbelt" NATO strap roundup: BluShark, Cincy, PhenomeNato, and WatchGecko (Picture heavy!)

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Re: "Seatbelt" NATO strap roundup: BluShark, Cincy, PhenomeNato, and WatchGecko (Picture heavy!)

As some who uses their watches in the water this is now going to make me reconsider which one to get, I was leaning toward a Phenomenato but now I'm not sure. Don't want a watch getting losing up at 15" under water
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.022-69, Tudor Heritage Black Bay Blue, Omega Speedmaster Automatic, Hamilton Khaki Pioneer Auto Chrono, Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro 600, Christopher Ward C5 Aviator, 60s Longines Ultra Chron Automatic

Re: "Seatbelt" NATO strap roundup: BluShark, Cincy, PhenomeNato, and WatchGecko (Picture heavy!)

Quote Originally Posted by duc View Post
    I'm guessing you are an engineer. :)
    I don't know if he's and engineer or not, but being an engineer, I would have expected nothing less than what's been already been reported. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CastorTroy3 likes this.
    Current Inventory:
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko 5 SNXS79
    Seiko 5 SNZH55 (for sale)
    Seiko 7005-7099
    Orient Curator Grey (for sale)
    Casio MDV-106
    Cheap Timex
    6105-8110 Homage (sold)
    Manchester Watch Works Morgan
    SRPA21 (PADI)
    SKXA55
    Zelos Hammerhead

On the way:
    MWW 62MAS Homage
    Helgray Le Mans

Quote Originally Posted by duc View Post
    I'm guessing you are an engineer. :)
    Heh, no not an engineer by training or vocation. :) Perhaps you could say scientist at heart with a liking for facts and figures, even if my day job involves more use of estimates, mechanical principles, and guidelines rather than actual crunching of numbers, due to some things which just can't be measured, at least practically speaking (which usually means trying to "overengineer" things as much as is practical...)

Quote Originally Posted by fbd223 View Post
    As some who uses their watches in the water this is now going to make me reconsider which one to get, I was leaning toward a Phenomenato but now I'm not sure. Don't want a watch getting losing up at 15" under water
    I think from a purely functional point of view of keeping the watch on your wrist, the strap will not stretch enough to let the watch come off, though it would definitely expand enough to loosen it such that the watch would move around more.

(Here I go with the numbers again)

eg. for a 7-inch/178mm wrist, a 5.2% stretch is a 9.2mm (0.36 inch) increase in circumference, which if you estimate with a circular wrist, corresponds to a 2.9mm (0.11 inch) increase in diameter. Won't come off, but definitely not snug anymore.

If you're swimming and the strap will be completely immersed, perhaps the ToxicBUTTA would be the strap of choice, since it seemed to hardly stretch at all (though perhaps someone else may have to report on long-term longevity with water exposure, given the weave of the fabric), which would be nice with arm movements if you want the strap to stay snug. If the question is rather one of just getting the strap wet (eg. for me it would be hiking and fell into a stream, or some other similar folly), I think any of them would still keep the watch on the wrist fine, if somewhat looser (like a bracelet that's oversized by one link) until it dries. Granted, a rubber strap is still probably the best solution (or perhaps one of WatchGecko's rubber NATO's?) for actual swimming.

All that said, numbers can only say so much, and I'll defer to any real-world swimming experience with the "seatbelt" straps (changes in size of wrist underwater?), if anybody has any accounts to share.
    Last edited by Iandk; December 12th, 2016 at 00:04. Reason: Numbers (yeah, significant digits and rounding and everything's probably off :P)
    accidentalsuccess likes this.

duc

Well I am an engineer. If I had the authority, I would make you an honorary engineer. Your logic, precision and attention to detail are extremely good. Additionally, unlike many engineers, you presented your information in a manner that is easily understood. Well done.
    SaoDavi and Acurry like this.

The stretch in a wet NATO isn't a big deal. Either tighten it one hole so it's snug again or, if you actually dive, the compression of your wetsuit will be something else you have to deal with, too.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    WiZARD7 likes this.

P.S. Thank you for the AWESOME review and comparison.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Great thread. Really interesting information and great comparison pictures. As of yesterday I now have just about every NATO discussed in this thread expect for the Omega. However, I do have a Tudor NATO. The Tudor is well above the rest but the Toxic, Cincy, Gecko, Phenom, and BluShark are all great straps. Frankly it's getting hard to rank them when they are all so good. I think the each offer something a little different and it's great to have so many great vendors to choose from. Rather than rank them I'll put my positive and negative about each one.

Alpha (Fantastic Colors / less soft than the seat belt)
    Cincy (nice weave / feels a little thin)
    Gecko (very comfortable / super long)
    Phenom (great sizing and can have it cut to a specific length / pretty shiny)
    Toxic (great hard ware / seems like it will fray with lots of wear)
    brandon\ likes this.

thank you for the review. I'm planning to get one from Phenom and this helps very much
    WiZARD7 likes this.

What a great thread.
    Super detailed comparisons and well presented.
    Great stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    TAG Heuer F1 375.513
    TAG Heuer F1 Chrono CAH1112
    TAG Heuer F1 WAH1011
    Archimede Pilot 42 B
    Fortis Flieger 595.11.41
    Fortis B-42 Marinemaster 670.10.41
    Omega Seamaster 2220.80
    Seiko SKX 009
    Seiko SRP 309 Orange Monster
    Seiko SRP 777 Turtle
    Seiko SBBN033 Tuna
    Citizen NY0040-09W
    Citizen NY0040-17LE
    Vostok Amphibia 420059
    1963 Chinese Air Force chronograph reissue
    G-Shock GD-100
    G-Shock GW-M5610
    G-Shock GW-9400 Rangeman
    G-Shock GF-8250CM Frogman
    G-Shock GWF-D1000 Frogman

Blue phenomenato earlier on the smurf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Instagram: @watches503

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information