Seek comfortable strap for IWC #327001 Pilot Mark XVIII black dial

Thread: Seek comfortable strap for IWC #327001 Pilot Mark XVIII black dial

Seek comfortable strap for IWC #327001 Pilot Mark XVIII black dial

I recently bought the 40mm IWC Pilot Mark XVIII (black dial) IW327001 and have almost broken in the Santoni band that came with it. But, still consider it not enough to my liking. I've been searching for straps (bands) on Ebay and elsewhere. I want a nice elegant band that will wear well and conform comfortably to my wrist. I'm not sure exactly how to order it. Forgive my terminology which may not be specific enough, but I've measured the width on the watch (top and bottom) where the strap attaches to the watch. It's 22mm and the band narrows down to 20mm. I'm leaning toward a real alligator band ---- not leather. And, I think I would like the butterfly clasp. I think there are several types of clasps and I just want to order the one that most people like. I need it in brushed steel to match the watch material best.

If you have this #IW327001 Mark XVIII and you changed from the standard Italian made Santoni black calfskin strap --- what do you suggest or recommend? I don't have an IWC dealer anywhere close by. Nearest might be in Victoria, BC and I will be going there the latter part of August.

Thanks for anyone's help whether you have this watch or not.

Re: Seek comfortable strap for IWC #327001 Pilot Mark XVIII black dial

I must have mis-measured the strap size of the Santoni on this IW327001. From a recent review in this forum it says the Santoni is 20mm at the lugs and tapers down to 18 at the buckle.

I wouldn't typically trust eBay unless you see someone here suggesting a particular seller. Way too hit or miss.

You can use any 20 mm strap you want; buckle width would be an issue if you want to keep the OEM buckle, but that's up to you. There are 4 fitting measurements:

a) width at lugs. With a 40mm case, 20mm is an overwhelming favorite.
    b) width at buckle.
    c and d) lengths of each side, most commonly reported in mm. Like 120 and 80. There's generally flexibility here; 5 mm is about the equivalent of 1 hole.

For soft and conforming, either a very soft, flexible material like many suedes, or at least, go with relatively little padding.

Black dial, simple white markings...any color will do fine. Classically, black or gray of course. For material...calf, Horween Chromexcel, square-scale croc, suede. I wouldn't pick an elaborate pattern like tegu lizard, python, or stingray; it doesn't fit the vibe of the watch. Square-scale croc would do fine.

Since this is a very nice watch, I've got no compunction suggesting Camille Fournet or ABP. Each has a "design your strap" section that can be most educational.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Thank you for that very thorough introduction to straps. I never knew this would be so detailed and complicated. I did visit the websites for the two you mentioned and noted they are in Paris. I will be in Paris by December, but was hoping to find something before then. I wish I had simply bought this watch with the stainless steel bracelet as it wasn't that much more in cost. As I understand about the bracelet IWC made it so that I would be able to take it off easily and switch around between it and a strap. This is the first IWC watch for me as previously I've always had different styles of Rolex. I love their bracelets. But wearing a Rolex can be risky --- assuming a thief can distinguish between a fake and the real thing. These days it seems every watch manufacturer is copying the GMT Master II. Frankly, I never heard of a IWC until I was reading on Hodinkee about John Mayer's collection of ICW's.
    IWC Pilot Mark XVIII #327001
    Rolex GMT Master II

I meant to say IWC ---- I cannot keep from saying ICW. Funny but I don't even know half the time what brand my watch is. This Forum won't let me edit my posts.
    Rolex GMT Master II

Nothing much to add to gangrel's excellent post above, other than some indication of how much you want to spend would have been useful!

For excellent 'ready made' and easily available straps, Hirsch or Rios1931 would be good options.

Yesterday my Amazon Prime shipment arrived of an alligator skin strap with deployant. The seller I think is the same guy selling on eBay as suggested by someone in this thread --- "Cheergiant". I'm wearing it now on my IWC Mark XVIII and it looks great. I like the deployant clasp too. Although the clasp is polished chrome. But, it's a mere technicality that is not big enough to stand out. The watch metal is brushed stainless steel. Basically -- only I will know the clasp doesn't quite match. The alligator strap fits really well -- although, yes, it needs to break in. But, I think it's more comfortable than the IWC's Santoni strap. I never liked that leather Santoni even after a week or two of breaking it in.

The Amazon watch strap in alligator seems well constructed. The price is what's so awesome. It cost me total about $65 delivered. No sale tax. Since I'm not allowed to enter a link here to the Amazon product, you can search this description: 20mm Black High-end Crocodile Leather Watch Straps/Bands Replacement Handmade for Luxury Watches

I was hesitant to order because no one had reviewed it. But I was the first having praised the product as the quality I got. I think it's confusing to describe it as "high-end crocodile leather" because to some it may sound like a leather watch strap embossed to look like alligator. I think the translation between Chinese and English is what is hurting the sales maybe. If English is not your primary language, then sometimes you can write something that leads a potential buyer to have second thoughts about just what it really is. Because most of the alligator watch straps are priced $350 to $500. It makes little sense that this would be $65. I'm suspecting that the quality of the alligator skin is not as good as the $400 straps, but hey --- I'm happy so far. I'm happy to have not paid $400 and instead have paid $65 and I got a deployant clasp with it as well as a tool to change the strap with.
    Rolex GMT Master II

The watch strap -- Alligator -- above was described on Amazon by the Chinese seller as follows:

• Width on the watch end: 20mm length: 2.95 inch+4.72 inch. When fastened together, total length is from 5.4 inch to 7.1 inch and plus your watch case length to see if it fits your wrist or not. Please also check the last Photo for size guide.
    • The upper side is made of 100% genuine crocodile skin from South Africa. It¡¯s famous for its firm texture and long-lasting durability. We also kept the natural grid of alligator grain without too much modification. The more you use it, the glossier it will become. The lining is made of waterproof Italian calfskin which is soft and more comfortable to wear.
    • Each one is selected, hand cut, sewn and finished by highly skilled craftsmen. We are very proud of our 100% hand-made leather bands. We assure you the best quality by offering one year warranty. But please try your best to avoid water or artificial damage.
    • Paired with a brushed 306L medical stainless steel (also known as titanium steel, non-allergic) butterfly deployment clasp/buckle with polished double push button mechanism, it can be easily opened by pushing the button without too much strength. It also comes with an installing tool and a pair of spring bars/pins to help you change your bands at the best convenience.
    • It is specially designed and made for your swiss luxury watches. This one can be applied to most of the watches with straight-end bands, such as Tissot 1853, Patek Philippe, Bulgari, Audemars Piguet, Breguet, Rolex, IWC, Jaeger-LeCoultre, DW Daniel Wellington, Armani Oris, Hamilton, Invicta, Longines, Bulova, Swatch, Certina, Fossil, Citizen, etc..
    Rolex GMT Master II

Thread Information