Strap Journal - New to the watch strap game, but not new to leather work - Page 7
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Strap Journal - New to the watch strap game, but not new to leather work

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: Strap Journal - New to the watch strap game, but not new to leather work

Unfortunately there aren't many tutorials for watch straps. You just really have to experiment and see what works for you through trial and error. Good luck and happy leathercrafting!

Thank you very much. I had a realization recently. I never use the wallets or wear the watch strap models that I offer for sale, because I like more "rugged" looking leather items with variations in color and markings. So I ordered a bunch of Dublin and Derby from Horween and am going to start making things along that aesthetic. I want to let you know that I haven't forgotten about your strap for review, and am going to get it out to you early next week. Did you want to stick with the style we discussed or would you like one in the style of the Panerai straps?

Here are some recent straps:

Natural Dublin Panerai Straps:

Olive Pueblo and Burgundy Shell Cordovan Straps:

Level.5x and Karkarov like this.

23/22mm Strap

I wanted to quickly post a few shots of the custom strap Will recently made for my Airman No. 1. There are so many talented leatherworkers posting on this Forum, but Will’s straps really caught my attention. His craftsmanship and attention to detail far exceeded my expectations, his prices are extremely reasonable, and based on our email exchanges I can vouch that he’s a heck of a nice guy. Thanks Will!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Karkarov likes this.

Thank you so much for the vote of confidence Chris! I am very glad you like your strap! That Airman is a very cool watch. I've never seen one of those before.

To mix it up, here is today's project:

A trucker wallet inspired ladies clutch wallet for a friend.

Karkarov and webicons like this.

Boiling Japanese Seaweed for the polishing of leather edges:

Creasing a selection of Horween Derby Straps for an upcoming Massdrop event with an alcohol lamp and Nejinen:

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardBrainLeatherWorks View Post
    Boiling Japanese Seaweed for the polishing of leather edges:

Interesting. Does the seaweed provide any benefits over using standard Trac gum?

Both being a polysaccharide but I believe that the seaweed has some sugars that are not in Tragacanth. I wonder if that would impart some benefit?

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

Yes, I find it works much better. Tokonole works second best as far as my technique goes. I would highly recommend Funori.

Some Horween Derby Straps:

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardBrainLeatherWorks View Post
    Yes, I find it works much better. Tokonole works second best as far as my technique goes. I would highly recommend Funori.
    Thanks for the recommendation! As a beginner I'll take any pointers where I can get them. Any issues with odor?

You really do some great work!

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information