Strap for Tudor Black Bay Bronze
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Strap for Tudor Black Bay Bronze

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I ordered a Tudor Black Bay Bronze, although its coming with the vintage leather strap and the fabric strap, i am looking for additional straps.

It would be great if I could get some recommendations.

Seems that 23mm lug distance is a bit out of the mainstream range.

I am looking for a Nato strap in the colors of sandy beige, golden brown and ideally with bronze metal buckle and rings...

Also a sail-cloth strap would be great, may be someone knows about a customized source?

And last but not least a paracord option would be awesome.

Re: Strap for Tudor Black Bay Bronze

If anyone could please direct me or has some tips, it would be utmost appreciated.

I have watches with lug sizes of 18, 19, 20, and 22mm. And I have spent many hours on the internet looking for straps in the 18-20mm size range, much less so for the 22mm size. In all that time I do not think I have ever seen a strap sized at 23mm, though to be clear I usually focus on smaller 18-20mm sizes so a 23mm is off my radar screen to begin with. But given that 23mm would not be a traditional size that was used in the past, I doubt there is a lot available.

You could go with 22mm NATO/Perlon with the understanding that the spring bar might show a little. Or try a 24mm size. When searching for a 19mm Nato I saw a slight tendency for people to upsize by 1mm on their Nato..most people commented that the fit okay, a few others said they bunched up and could not be worn comfortably. I suspect it is comes down to the manufacturer, as some straps are not made to great tolerance and might go slightly larger or smaller than true size. And at least one person believed that the Perlon fiber was flexible enough, that it would spread out enough in their personal experience (meaning an 18mm Perlon would look okay on a 19mm strap, so in a similar vein maybe a 22mm Perlon might look okay on your 23 lug watch).

Just some thoughts, not an answer.

I haven´t considered Nato/Perlon, has to read what´s all about it, since i have not much background knowledge about the different materials used on Natos.
    Its definitely a tip i will consider

I thought the watch comes with an already excellent nato strap. I guess none in the market can top that.
    CASIO / SEIKO / GLYCINE / DAMASKO / JAEGER-LECOULTRE (GRAIL)

You are right, it does come with a very nice strap. However, its not a Nato, doesnt have the loops.
    Main reason for me to source additional strap is because i go diving. I plan to take the watch with me for a nice patina to develop.
    I feel the OEM strap doesn´t need ocean treatment, an alternative version will just do fine...and gives some safety in the unlikely event that one of the bars come off.

Even though the Tudor strap is not a traditional NATO, it still has the added protection of a one-piece strap that will not allow the watch to fall off your wrist if one of the spring bars fails. That protection is from the loops or the second layer of the strap, it is offered by any one-piece strap that passes across the back of the watch, including the unique Tudor design.

As you noted, 23mm is not a very common size. You should be able to use either a 22mm strap if you don't mind the gap, or a 24mm strap on the watch. I would suggest going with a 24mm. It will be slightly pinched, but it will be far less noticeable than the gap between the lugs and a 22mm strap would be.

Hope this helps!

Are you sure it is 23 mm? I thought it was 22? Oh well. I would suggest anything in Tan or Burgundy. Those colors go well with bronze, burgundy especially.

I have a BB Bronze and 22s are tolerable I would prefer to use 24s though. However, I have no 24mm watches and I'd rather use 22s so I can can mix with all my other watches.

I haven't used any NATOs with bronze or brass hardware as I have been suffering through none matching hardware.

I have tried tons of straps on it and nothing compares to the OEM NATO which unfortunately I lost and have not yet found a source to replace it.

I really like it on Canvas though. Martu will customize and strap they have in length and width for no additional charge and straps Range $45-65. I currently have mine on green canvas which is a great change of pace especially since I lost my NATO.

I pretty much have every color strap so I'm happy to take a few clicks for you to see.

I don't have any person or sail cloth though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CastorTroy3; March 2nd, 2017 at 01:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrtime View Post
    You are right, it does come with a very nice strap. However, its not a Nato, doesnt have the loops.
    Main reason for me to source additional strap is because i go diving. I plan to take the watch with me for a nice patina to develop.
    I feel the OEM strap doesn´t need ocean treatment, an alternative version will just do fine...and gives some safety in the unlikely event that one of the bars come off.
    I can't recall if your watch has drilled-through lugs.... for diving, I would recommend shoulderless spring bars (even if not drilled, you can put the bars in for the season, the clip out with wire cutters; spring bars are cheap and wear out anyway). The longer pins (pivots) of, say, Maratac SAR spring bars in 22mm should be a bit more secure for diving than shorter ones on conventional bars.

For diving, swimming, I can't recommend perlon enough, as it can be easily rinsed out and then dried. If you haven't done this before, definitely give the watch head a fresh water soak and rinse after diving. Patina be damned, salt water can have a detrimental effect on seals and spring bars. ;)

Of course, nylon straps (NATO or single-strap RAF style) are great for water work, and can be washed in the basin, with the laundry in a sock bag, and air dried. Carrying several on dive trips allows you to wear something else to dinner post-dive. I havent' tried leather NATO straps but I see enough of 'em on the forum to know they're popular and comfortable.

BTW, if the lug gap really is 23mm not 22mm, a little spring bar showing never bothered this chap:

1mm difference is barely 0.5mm on each side, so ... I suspect you'd hardly notice.

\\ Sent from an Android or iOS device //
    Last edited by Chromejob; March 2nd, 2017 at 01:37.
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information