Strapmaking: Another Beginner's Attempt - Page 3
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Strapmaking: Another Beginner's Attempt

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Strapmaking: Another Beginner's Attempt

Quote Originally Posted by iltl32 View Post
    Can someone tell me how you get perfect edges when cutting the leather into strips initially? I assumed something like a paper cutter would be used but it looks like it's a hand tool instead. Do you use a guide? How do avoid stretching the leather while pulling on it? A picture of video would be awesome!
    I just used a solid metal ruler from a right angle tool and a sharp new box cutting blade and pushed down on the ruler to keep the leather from moving.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Day 1:

Did some leather cutting, tried the leather dyes, and did my first saddle stitch...

Saddle Tan dyed piece on the left, natural veg tanned piece in the middle, and black dyed piece on the right...
    Name:  20170713_235513.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  1.97 MB

Ran a poorly aligned 9 stitch per inch wheel and a 7 spi line atop. Then, I wanted to try a decent saddle stitch so I lined the bottom line up properly and used the 7spi wheel again. Lesson Learned: You definitely need to be mindful of how you put the 2nd needle back through the 1st needle's hole. If you push it through on top, to the right, on the bottom, etc. each time, you'll get uneven looking stitches.

I also don't like the look of "back-stitching" 2 hole's worth. It looks less refined. I also really like adding the groove line to compliment the stitch line. Gives the edge this really sharp/straight border. And to Shane 1000's point, I didn't need a specialized "creaser" tool to accomplish this....nope! Just a ruler and the scratch awl to run across the leather!
    Name:  20170713_235657.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  2.03 MB

But what the heck....here's my "cool" tools shot!

Name:  20170713_235754.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  1.75 MB

Can't wait for the weekend to start so I can really get some more work done. I definitely need to pick up some sandpaper and a 90 degree angle ruler so I can cut straight pieces.
    SHANE 1000, Karkarov and Jabrnet like this.
    BALL / CHR. WARD / HAMILTON / MIDO / ORIS / SEIKO / SINN / ZENITH

Quote Originally Posted by Level.5x View Post
    Day 1:

I also don't like the look of "back-stitching" 2 hole's worth. It looks less refined. I also really like adding the groove line to compliment the stitch line. Gives the edge this really sharp/straight border. And to Shane 1000's point, I didn't need a specialized "creaser" tool to accomplish this....nope! Just a ruler and the scratch awl to run across the leather!

But what the heck....here's my "cool" tools shot!

Name:  20170713_235754.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  1.75 MB

Can't wait for the weekend to start so I can really get some more work done. I definitely need to pick up some sandpaper and a 90 degree angle ruler so I can cut straight pieces.
    HOOYAH!! you got it.
    Heck yeah I could rock a bad a$$ strap with that bit of kit, those tools are about all you really need, great set of tools mate.
    Karkarov likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    HOOYAH!! you got it.
    Heck yeah I could rock a bad a$$ strap with that bit of kit, those tools are about all you really need, great set of tools mate.
    Lol...yea, i definately feel I got what I need...except some good sandpaper...i definately need sandpaper.

The pliers were a must like you said and a thimble wouldnt hurt...pun intended.

So a thimble, some sandpaper, and possibly a right angle ruler and I think im set.

Then Ill just need PRACTICE!
    SHANE 1000 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Level.5x View Post
    That was an AWLfully good post! You are making real progress, just keep at it.

Like the look of that black leather, interested to see what you may do with it.

I've been putting in some leather work...it's been fun! My finger tips are shred to hell due to X-acto knife cuts but they'll heal. Lol

Overall, my only regret is the type of leather I bought. I was hesitant to shell out $100+ for 1/2 a hide or 1/4 of a hide in my initial purchase so instead, I went with undyed Hermann Oak tooling/veg tanned leather 5-6oz that I could buy per sq foot. 2 issues: a.) I've been skiving the leather to make it thinner which makes a mess and it's tedious. b.) the dyeing process has not been worthwhile. But when I do the math, I could have gotten better leather at the same $/sq ft but you need to be willing to buy a large piece(1/4, 1/2, or whole hide).

The idea of buying undyed leather sounded good but it just doesn't look as good. When I just apply the dye, it looks like a cheap paint job. Then when I put the Resolene coat on, it ends up looking way too shiny and fake-looking.

Here's my first 'beginning to end' watch strap....

Name:  20170719_155946.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  1.03 MB

Name:  20170719_160108.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  2.44 MB

Name:  20170719_160241.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  2.10 MB

On the strap above, I cut two identical pieces of each side and glued them together so it was important getting the thickness down. I like adding the grooved border but free-handing it is prone to errors. I think its an easy way to add a bit of "finish" to the project, so I plan on getting a creaser, which will definitely help with a tapered edge. I can certainly free-hand with a ruler and a scratch awl, but a tapered strap(which I prefer) creates some additional challenges.

Here's my best attempt at using the overstitch wheel and saddle stitch. I didn't create the short piece to match this one. It's also just a single layer strap that I just folded a little at the top for the lug holes and then burnished the fuzzy back side.

Name:  20170719_160558.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  2.39 MB

I've enjoyed practicing on some key fobs...this saddle tan dyed one was my 2nd attempt. I like how the color came out on this one.

Name:  20170715_235347.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  1.56 MB

Just made this one real quick this afternoon. Full Disclosure: I copied Bas & Lokes key fob style. I like how it looks.

Name:  20170719_182949.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  1.45 MB

Will probably try replicating my process above to make another complete strap(Saddle Tan this time).
    crazyfingers likes this.

Here it is on my Chr. WARD C60...kinda looks like a Bas & Lokes Chinese knockoff strap. LOL!

Name:  20170719_230413.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  2.29 MB

Name:  20170719_230359.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  2.12 MB

Name:  20170719_230526.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  1.24 MB

Name:  20170719_230542.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  1.26 MB

those black strap looks good, my only advise is working it slowly and patient,

and welcome to the strapmaker journey

cheers,

a leather strap maker from GMT +7
    Level.5x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by raditya View Post
    those black strap looks good, my only advise is working it slowly and patient,

and welcome to the strapmaker journey

cheers,

a leather strap maker from GMT +7
    Thanks! I am very patient and pay a lot of attention to details. I already have things I want to do/tools I need to make this strap better.

a. Need a true hole puncher. The one you squeeze. I had this kit with different size dyes that you use a hammer with and its horrible.

b. A thread zapper so the ends of my thread look more secure and not frayed and vulnerable to fall out.

c. A creaser to run along the length of the strap to give it that nice refined border. I think it adds a lot to the finish but it needs to be even. With the taper, I cant use a straight razor so I free-handed it and theres some crookedness.

But all that said, I wore this strap to the office today and starting to really like it.

Can I give you a piece of advice? :)
    Don't use that creaser, it will ruin the leather and your nerves! What you need is a bit of heat treatment, using a tool like one on the picture below. It's a very cheap alternative for fileteuse manuelle. But it works really, really fine. Your edges and stitch lines will be straight and it will come in handy when you discover some more tricks on edge finishing ;)

Name:  tips.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  36.7 KB

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information