Straps for strange lug with/shapes - Page 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Straps for strange lug with/shapes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Straps for strange lug with/shapes

Hmmm and I thought the planet orient presented a problem with their strap design. Would be interested in what the Orient M Force attachment looks like. I am going to release my Citizen Calibre 2100 as soon as I tire of it (and replace the scratched crystal) due to it's funky strap attachment. The designers of such watches should have to wear them for an extended period of time prior to the watch going on sale. Perhaps then the strap attachment would not be so novel.

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    Sorry OP! didn't mean to hijack your post.....yours is pretty simplistic and I'm sure there are a bunch on here that can hook you up with a decent strip of hide.
    Note the date on the OP. Doubt he'll mind. :)

But, yeah, I suspect that sending the watch to the custom maker is going to be the safest route.

grindaur: nah. Just curse them to wear nothing but the original strap/bracelet on every watch they buy.

Plus, we should continue the quest to educate! Down With Crazy Lugs on basic watches!!!! Buyer beware, look for these and Just Say NO!!!
    Last edited by gangrel; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:51.
    SHANE 1000 likes this.
    Now that I think about it, most of my life has consisted of taking the opening that desperation required and opportunity presented
    --Vlad Taltos, Issola

If it be true that in the twentieth century more space is given to murder than to politics, it is for the excellent reason that murder is a more serious subject.
    --G.K. Chesterton, The Wisdom of Father Brown​

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    Problem is what you want is not just a basic strap,
    By basic I meant other than the convex end (which does not need to be very precise for my needs) a basic design, material, buckle.

Yes I did overlook the odd lug design, based on the limited photo's I saw. Watch makers can be so 'off', but then Croton can argue it's 'artistic'. But at $75 for their strap, sounds more like 'financial narcissism'.

If anyone knows any UK custom strap makers, do let me know please. I am looking though...

PS. its my first mechanical watch, hence the mistakes
    Last edited by no-time; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:35. Reason: Virgin

i really want to try to make the strap but kinda worried about the end.

i want to ask, is it half circle shape end..??

Attachment 11218874Attachment 11218882Name:  20170317_214752.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  839.4 KBName:  20170317_214847.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  2.13 MBName:  20170317_214948.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  2.43 MBName:  20170317_215052.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  2.17 MBName:  20170317_215107.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  792.6 KBName:  20170317_215440.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  827.6 KBName:  20170317_215615.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  2.28 MBName:  20170317_220013.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  812.6 KB
    Please see photo, Its kind of half-circle, but not a perfect circle.

Inside the circle, from the left pin hole to the right pin hole, its 12mm, so all the weight/stress of the watch will be on the 12mm, so it will need something to make it stronger, maybe double layer of the material around fold. So when you fold the material over the pin it will be 12 mm wide, if you use the second fold, it will have to be around 10mm, because of the curve that gets smaller as you go nearer the end.

If you PM me your email, it will be easier.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Think you will have a problem here does not look to be enough space to allow for the wrap of leather around the spring bar/pin. Had that issue on my M Force EM04 so even though I was quite taken with the yellow dial and the case design (other than the strap connection) I returned it to the wild. If I keep my Citizen Calibre 2100 it will probably be subjected to the milling machine to romove the STUPID middle piece on the case. With the removal and some judicious thinning of the lugs it just might get a proper working leather strap. I do not see any hope for that with the placement of the hole in the Croton.
    brandon\ and no-time like this.

I purchased an 26 mm rubber silicone strap and cut it with a knife, i cut too much off and the rubber seems to soft to hold the weight of the watch, so its a fail.

I had an old 2 cheap Chinese leather strap and that worked quite well, its doesn't look that bad, I'm wearing the watch. So I might buy a 26mm cheap leather strap to cut again. I have an old NATO belt, which I might have to make a strap, i have an idea how to fit it around the 10mm curve in the middle, nothing to loose.

Photo's coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by grindaur View Post
    Think you will have a problem here does not look to be enough space to allow for the wrap of leather around the spring bar/pin. Had that issue on my M Force EM04 so even though I was quite taken with the yellow dial and the case design (other than the strap connection) I returned it to the wild. If I keep my Citizen Calibre 2100 it will probably be subjected to the milling machine to romove the STUPID middle piece on the case. With the removal and some judicious thinning of the lugs it just might get a proper working leather strap. I do not see any hope for that with the placement of the hole in the Croton.

Quote Originally Posted by grindaur View Post
    .... Had that issue on my M Force EM04 so even though I was quite taken with the yellow dial and the case design (other than the strap connection) I returned it to the wild. If I keep my Citizen Calibre 2100 it will probably be subjected to the milling machine to romove the STUPID middle piece on the case.
    Your issue seems easier to hack a NATO strap for, that's assuming your can live with a hack. If you buy a NATO strap the width of the inner lug measurements (which looks about 12mm) then you cut a whole in the middle for that middle lug and thread the pin thru using a non-spring bar pin.

If i get round to doing mine, i'll show you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information