Unusual leather straps - Page 2
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Unusual leather straps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Unusual leather straps

Quote Originally Posted by JJHACK1 View Post
    Snake tan is very good, I have done lots of snakes with that method.

One consideration of the oils, that is intended to prevent cracking when over dried years down the road. You can remove that quite effectively with a few minutes soak in a jar of rubbing alcohol. It will dry the skin out and leave it more likely to crack in the coming decade, but it would last about as long as the strap would last anyway. Plus the only real crack stress point on the strap as where it goes through the buckle, no place else. It could be made in a way that the snake skin stops short of the buckle and is just the leather backing from there?
    How about using that method, then giving it an annual light brush of Snaketan? I did use a little Obenaufs on it the other day. That seemed to hydrate and brighten it up a little.

Wow, those are really cool straps! Every get any compliments on them? My thinking is that people are so unobservant/absorbed in their cell phones nowadays that they don't notice anything at all. But I digress..... Cool straps!

I can dig it. Shane's is money though. Is that elephant? It doesn't look like it. I purchased an elephant strap last year from Brusnticyn. The texture of elephant is great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Karkarov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watchman1221 View Post
    Wow, those are really cool straps! Every get any compliments on them? My thinking is that people are so unobservant/absorbed in their cell phones nowadays that they don't notice anything at all. But I digress..... Cool straps!
    I almost always wear a watch with a custom strap. I've only had someone ask me about a watch/strap once. It was this watch/strap and I was at the Long Beach Grand Prix. I've asked a few people about thier watch and they didn't even notice that I was wearing one. Let alone notice I was wearing something custom and different.
    CastorTroy3 likes this.

Here's a unique one. It was made from a Peruvian saddle pad that my father gave me before he passed away. He gave me two of the pads. The other one is under the watch. I started a thread here asking if strap maker would make me some straps in exchange for giving them half of the pad. Which is enough to make at least 20 straps. And, you'll never see leather like this. So, the straps will be very unique. A strap maker, from around here, who will go un-named, PMed me. We struck a deal for him to make me 5 or 6 staps, I can't remember the exact number, and he would keep the other half of the pad. And like I said, that would be enough to make at least 20 straps. He made me this strap in the picture, it turned out really good and I was looking forward to him making good on his deal and making more. But, he decided to renege on the deal. After about 9 months I had to threaten legal action in order to get my leather back. He finally sent it back, but kept some for himself, and ruined other pieces in the process. At some point, I'll find someone else who can make some straps with it. This time, I'll just pay them and send them just enough to make what I need.

Last edited by Shawnny; 2 Days Ago at 04:12.
    CastorTroy3 and Karkarov like this.

Its 100% elephant. I skinned it myself, or better stated with my indigenous staff! Same with the rhino.

Sorry to say but very likely all elephant sold in the USA is " imprinted" elephant same as croc and gator straps. Many are actually imprinted not real.

Gator is likely real because it's legal to sell. Elephant in the other hand is controlled by cities. Or in other words an extrodinary complexity to sell legally

I got mine from Russia but really could not be sure that it is genuine. All I know is I like it. For the price it cost it seemed like it was likely embossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had Jeanna at Stone Creek Straps make me an Elephant ...

... also have a Nicaraguan Iguana from Eric at Hamilton Leatherworks that gets a few looks from people ...

Karkarov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JJHACK1 View Post
    Its 100% elephant. I skinned it myself, or better stated with my indigenous staff! Same with the rhino.

Sorry to say but very likely all elephant sold in the USA is " imprinted" elephant same as croc and gator straps. Many are actually imprinted not real.

Gator is likely real because it's legal to sell. Elephant in the other hand is controlled by cities. Or in other words an extrodinary complexity to sell legally
    Any chance you have access to some wart hog leather? I missed my chance to get my hands on some during my recent trip there...

Not on hand but warthog is easy. No regulations. I have some cap buffalo on hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information