Vulture strap review
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dhodgins

Thread: Vulture strap review

Vulture strap review

I became aware of Vulture straps (VS) from a couple of posts in this forum and, being a strap junky, knew that I would have to try one. The specific leather I was interested in, Horween Dublin Natural, was only available as a ďPaneraiĒ (i.e. 24mm) strap on the website. I emailed VS and very quickly received a reply that a new product category would be added to the site so that I could order one in 22mm. I ordered on June 20th, it shipped on the 30th, and it landed in sunny Colorado on July 1st. In my experience that is excellent production and shipping speed for a custom strap maker.

Name:  vulture_1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  560.8 KB

The first thing I noticed was the smell. Mmmmmmm. Picture in your mind the smell of your dadís old baseball glove. The next thing I noticed is that VS didnít include a buckle. Grrr. Iíve got plenty of buckles in reserve so I didnít bother to contact VS about the issue, but one should have been included.

Name:  vulture_2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  514.1 KB

Natural Horween Dublin is nice stuff. Apart from the smell (mmmm, again), it has fantastic pullout which, in my experience, will only get better with age. If itís like similar leathers Iíve owned, itíll continue to look good after it gets wet, sweaty, scratched, banged up, etc.

Name:  vulture_3.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  467.3 KB

I am a sucker for ďnaturalĒ leathers, in large part because, in addition to how well they age, they tend to look great on just about any style of watch. And the Vulture certainly fits the bill. Below is a photo of it on my Hamilton Pioneer, but I could have picked anything out of my watch box to show it off, really.

Name:  vulture_4.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  386.6 KB

Stitching and construction of the strap are both perfectly normal, and what I mean by that is that overall, both are exactly what I expect from a custom strap costing more than $80. This isnít a knock against VS (or any custom maker in particular), but with few exceptions (e.g. Strap Cultureís apparent decline in quality) I donít see much, if any, variation in construction quality in this category. They are all simply excellent. If I had to nitpick, Iíd say the edge coating on the strap I received is a bit inconsistent in spots, but nothing to really complain about.

Opinions on pricing are always relative, especially when you start paying more for straps than some watches, but the $100 I paid for this high quality U.S. made strap is a bargain. My ultimate criteria for whether a strap is a good value is simple: would I order another one? When I look at the Vulture wrapped around my wrist my answer is: absolutely.
    Last edited by dhodgins; 1 Week Ago at 20:29.
    Level.5x and Karkarov like this.
    -Dave

Re: Vulture strap review

Nice strap! Awesome watch too! I have the plain ole' 3-handed Navy Pioneer. That chrono version is a beauty!

I have a Horween Derby strap that looks identical to that Dublin. I forget the difference between the two leathers but I think they share more in common than not. Mine has picked up a lot of oils and dark spots over the last 6 or so months. I love it!

Congrats on the new strap!
    BALL / CHR. WARD / HAMILTON / MIDO / ORIS / SEIKO / SINN

Thanks for the review. The strap looks great and pairs well with your watch. Two questions: on that particular watch, how does one change the strap? And what is the term for what would otherwise be called the "lugs"?

Beautiful watch ! The strap looks very clean and very well executed.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrey2 View Post
    Thanks for the review. The strap looks great and pairs well with your watch. Two questions: on that particular watch, how does one change the strap? And what is the term for what would otherwise be called the "lugs"?
    I believe they are usually referred to as wire lugs. They have holes for springbars, exactly as normal lugs do.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhodgins View Post
    They have holes for springbars, exactly as normal lugs do.
    Great. Thank you. I always liked the looks of those Hamilton marine watches.

Thread Information