Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Walk before you run

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  2.17 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  2.19 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  2.18 MBThank you guys again for all the help and motivation. Here is round 2. Much better in all aspects this one i'll wear proudly
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! Big jump from your last one! Everything from the stitches to the cuts; big improvement. Keep em coming!

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

My first mod attempt resulted in a pile a watch parts in my trash can, so you're already ahead of me.

Views: 75
Size:  511.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  542.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  812.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  360.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  2.32 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  378.2 KB Strap number 3. My first atempt at full stiching. I got a little funky with the keepers and i like em. Tey need to be resized a little though and snugged up.
    crazyfingers and Karkarov like this.

Strap 3 is a big step in a good direction. I like the keepers too. My only niggle on that strap is your edge finishing still needs some practice, and it is looks really thick. The stitch is nice, a neat pattern, and the cuts are much cleaner, really is a big improvement over three straps!
    All in the timing. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Karkarov View Post
    Strap 3 is a big step in a good direction. I like the keepers too. My only niggle on that strap is your edge finishing still needs some practice, and it is looks really thick. The stitch is nice, a neat pattern, and the cuts are much cleaner, really is a big improvement over three straps!
    agree 100%. Im still figuring out how to finish the edges with available tools. Besides the leather sheet and one jar of die im working with paper rotary cutter, sharpened jewelers screwdriver as an awl, some old sewing needles, and a some wood chisels. I need to decide if im going to continue and get a slicker so im not just folding over the edges as well as a few other tools

Great stuff and loving the quick progress. Good job on the stitching on the third strap too. Keep an eye out for some valuable suggestions you may get by some of the master strap makers here.
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    Hidden Content
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

Views: 56
Size:  504.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  381.8 KBAgain thanks for the feed and encouragement guys. I had some vinegar black stain i had made for a wood working project so i tried it out on this one. Love the matte look of it. I need to start making some templates for cutting though. Im about a mm to narrow on this one but its wearable

Not bad at all for your first try, I'd love to make a few straps it seems fun and I love vintage leather style straps. Is there any guide you use before the making. Or just pure intuition? Also, I love that beige tan color where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?
    Quote Originally Posted by LeatherneckSD View Post
    So i got it in my head I can make my own strap and i have created my first disaster. :). Now mind you this is the first time i have ever worked with leather or made a strap so I'm not too embarrassed but i definitely have a long ways to go. The keepers are a mess and i will be redoing them. I don't know that tooling leather folded over is the best choice either since i have belts thinner than this thing. But it was a fun couple hours and I'm almost proud of the burnishing since i used a chisel handle and spit. Next attempt will be better.
    [iurl="http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11533762&d=1492401968"][/iurl][iurl="http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11533786&d=1492401988"][/iurl][iurl="http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11533802&d=1492402041"][/iurl][iurl="http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11533826&d=1492402129"][/iurl]

Thanks mrbob, there is a ton on youtube for just about every step. Thats actually just veggie tanned leather with a little coconut oil rubbed on it and worked in with my hands. I started with a $12 8x11 sheet from michaels, it's really easy to work from what i can tell. But thats all of 8 days of leather working experience talking

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information