Walk before you run
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Walk before you run

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Walk before you run

So i got it in my head I can make my own strap and i have created my first disaster. :). Now mind you this is the first time i have ever worked with leather or made a strap so I'm not too embarrassed but i definitely have a long ways to go. The keepers are a mess and i will be redoing them. I don't know that tooling leather folded over is the best choice either since i have belts thinner than this thing. But it was a fun couple hours and I'm almost proud of the burnishing since i used a chisel handle and spit. Next attempt will be better.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  294.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  351.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  2.05 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  72.4 KB
    solar g-shocker likes this.

Re: Walk before you run

Not at all bad for a beginner...! :)

\\ Sent from an Android or iOS device //
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

I rather like the look of it. The basics are there just needs to be cleaned up. Looking forward to seeing where you take this. Will be following.

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

I look forward to seeing more from you. I'd even put this strap in my rotation as is, love the colour. I have a double layer Kangaroo leather strap that I bought form Etsy. The roo leather is thin enough that with two layers it is not as thick as yours.

What did you use as glue? Also what dye did you use?

Cheers.
    Last edited by thecouchguy; April 17th, 2017 at 06:44.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I bought a tube of fiebings leather cement at the craft store where i got the leather. No dye on it just rubbed some coconut oil on it to soften it and worked it into the strap with the smooth side of another piece of the same leather. From what i read un dyed veg tan leather takes patina the quickest. Its really hard to find that honey and red color on a strap under $200 and thats what inspired the project.

First one? I think you got a better result than some of the "Professionals" out there, well done, wear it enjoy it and observe where you can do better next time.
    solar g-shocker likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherneckSD View Post
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I bought a tube of fiebings leather cement at the craft store where i got the leather. No dye on it just rubbed some coconut oil on it to soften it and worked it into the strap with the smooth side of another piece of the same leather. From what i read un dyed veg tan leather takes patina the quickest. Its really hard to find that honey and red color on a strap under $200 and thats what inspired the project.
    That raw leather you used will with wear get a killer patina in a pretty short time, just constantly wear the crap out of it, and you'll be amazed the colour you'll get.
    All in the timing. likes this.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Top marks grasshopper. I foresee a bright and happy future for your strap making. You've already learnt the two most important lessons.

1. Ensure you use a killer leather to start with.

2. Have bloody fun. :)
    SteveJ likes this.
    Time is a precious commodity, measure it with something deserving.

Well, you've walked further than I have. :)

Keep it up, any craft you put effort towards will only improve with time!

Looks nice! Experience will bring the skills that will help you craft the final look you are desiring. Keep making them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information