WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Waterproof Leather Straps?

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  yingray 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a waterproof leather strap for my MkII. I'm skeptical that these straps are actually waterproof. Does anyone have any experience with straps that makes these claims? Could I actually wear them into the shower repeatadly and not damage the leather?

#2 ·
Greg Stevens has some leathers that are pretty much waterproof. He did a test...he submerged a strap in a ziplock bag filled with water for like 10+ hours...

he has pictures somewhere too with descriptions etc..

contact him and maybe he can direct you to the pics

#6 ·
Not a good idea to wear your watch in the shower because it can cause the seals to wear out prematurely.
Always wear my Omega's in the shower, best time to give them a litte TLC with a bit of shower gel, brings them up a treat....

never in many years had a problem with any of my watches.... if a watch is built to withstand submerged depths of 100, 300, 600 or even 1000 meters surely it is robust enough to take a shower on your wrist.

#7 ·
Hirsch do a few Waterproof straps that are extensively tested and are warrantied for 12 months, here is a Mariner which would go well with your Speedy MKII

If your interested in one send me a PM for details of were to get one from.

#9 ·
As I understand it, it's not the water pressure you have to worry about, but the water temperature. If the water is too hot, it will warp the gaskets that seal the watch.

I had a buddy who wore his Rolex in a hot-tub. After 30-40 minutes, he could see condensation under the sapphire. He had to have the watch completely overhauled -- not cheap! But a lesson learned of him (and me).

D

#14 ·
I ever wore Seiko SBBN007 with timefactors aviator straps and Don's shark to swim and shower a couple of time, although they are not claimed waterproof, these straps didn't loose color or crack, only totally wet, and dry to normal conditions after several-hours. Di-Modell Chronissimo is no exception the good choice, I tried many times in shower and swim pool, wheras it is expensive and I don't want.

I don't recommend other watch to shower except Seiko diver, which are designed for tough water use. I wear these straps to water sports as I forgot to switch rubber as usual.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.