what happened to C&B ?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: what happened to C&B ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member jose-CostaRica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Heredia, Costa Rica
    Posts
    2,103

    what happened to C&B ?

    Crown&Buckle... At the beginning I used to be a fan of their quality leather straps featuring interesting leather colors, finishes and variety of styles at affordable prices. That is why I bought around 6 of their straps, being the FLIEGER strap with 2 metal rivets one of the best straps I've ever bought... absolute quality!




    It's been years since they made the FLIEGER strap for the last time and I have noticed how they are trying to get into the "high end" strap market with their "black label" and "american made" labels which offering is not exciting at all but prices are very high. Also they started to produce a bunch of NATO straps and forgot about innovation.

    I still visit their webpage from time to time hoping to see something changed but sadly my visits last only few seconds while I confirm everything looks exactly the same since years.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,821

    Re: what happened to C&B ?

    Their Black Label range is a good idea imo. Ive come close to buying one but there's stiff competition with side/minimal stitch style right now. In that price range, you got BandR, JPM/Bulang & Sons, and even Colareb.

    Overall, the leather looks good, but $85 seems a tad steep to me. If I see them on sale, I might try one.

    I bought 3 of their "regular" line of straps like the Marina and Harbor(I think) almost 2 years ago. They were well made, but not the greatest material. And the edges had too much of that rubber sealant imo.

    One of these sites, C&B or BandR need to release a high end canvas line. That would be unique.

    Otherwise, to touch on their NATOs, I was happy with 3 of them I ordered earlier this year. "Premium" line. Well made and great color and hardware selection. I might try a leather NATO from them later.
    BALL / CHR. WARD / HAMILTON / MIDO / ORIS / SEIKO / SINN / ZENITH


  3. #3
    Sponsor CrownAndBuckle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,169

    Re: what happened to C&B ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jose-CostaRica View Post
    Crown&Buckle... At the beginning I used to be a fan of their quality leather straps featuring interesting leather colors, finishes and variety of styles at affordable prices. That is why I bought around 6 of their straps, being the FLIEGER strap with 2 metal rivets one of the best straps I've ever bought... absolute quality!




    It's been years since they made the FLIEGER strap for the last time and I have noticed how they are trying to get into the "high end" strap market with their "black label" and "american made" labels which offering is not exciting at all but prices are very high. Also they started to produce a bunch of NATO straps and forgot about innovation.

    I still visit their webpage from time to time hoping to see something changed but sadly my visits last only few seconds while I confirm everything looks exactly the same since years.
    Hello Jose! I remember that photo from way back when. I'm sorry to hear you haven't been a fan of our new offerings! NATO straps have always been a big part of our strap offerings since day one. We've come out with many, many new leather straps as well over the years, while retaining the core of our leather straps (like the Harbor, Gator, Phalanx). Some recent models that were popular include the Woodland, Sheffield, Blackbird, and Anchorage. Over the years we've also phased out some models that didn't sell too well or had run their course, such as the Flieger. While there are some models I've personally really liked and wished were still a part of our line, we are a business after all, and sometimes a strap just isn't well received by the public. We can't always afford to continue stocking models like that, when other models might be selling 5x as quickly.

    Moving into higher end straps was a natural progression for us, especially the American Made line which we produce ourselves. We've been very careful to make sure our move affordable straps are still well represented, so we have something for just about everyone in our store.

    We are always open to suggestions if there are things you miss from the past, or you have new ideas you'd like to see! Would love to have you back as a customer again.


    Quote Originally Posted by Level.5x View Post
    Their Black Label range is a good idea imo. Ive come close to buying one but there's stiff competition with side/minimal stitch style right now. In that price range, you got BandR, JPM/Bulang & Sons, and even Colareb.

    Overall, the leather looks good, but $85 seems a tad steep to me. If I see them on sale, I might try one.
    We'd welcome you putting our strap side by side with any of them! Colareb and BandR are nice straps, slightly less expensive, but we feel our finishing is notably higher for just a few bucks more. JPM/Bulang are usually about 20-40% more expensive than our straps. If you didn't view our strap favorably, you would be more than welcome to return it for a full refund of course.

    I bought 3 of their "regular" line of straps like the Marina and Harbor(I think) almost 2 years ago. They were well made, but not the greatest material. And the edges had too much of that rubber sealant imo.

    One of these sites, C&B or BandR need to release a high end canvas line. That would be unique.

    Otherwise, to touch on their NATOs, I was happy with 3 of them I ordered earlier this year. "Premium" line. Well made and great color and hardware selection. I might try a leather NATO from them later.
    Noted with thanks on the sealant.

    Have you seen our Phalanx canvas straps? It's one of our most popular styles, really great nylon canvas strap that holds up very well. Thanks for the comment on the nylon NATO as well, the Premium line is my favorite as well.


    Thanks for the feedback, both of you. Hope you have a great weekend.

    -Thomas
    Last edited by CrownAndBuckle; July 7th, 2017 at 16:13.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    939

    Re: what happened to C&B ?

    While I think their offerings are nice, I have never bought from them because the lengths of their strap just don't work for me. While most companies offer a regular length of 120x80, C&B are all 115x75 or 120x75. That's too short for me and their longer length straps are too long.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    slcbbrown likes this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    97

    Re: what happened to C&B ?

    I've got one of the Phalanx straps and have been really impressed with the quality.
    slcbbrown and charliekilo98 like this.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,821

    Re: what happened to C&B ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrownAndBuckle View Post
    We'd welcome you putting our strap side by side with any of them! Colareb and BandR are nice straps, slightly less expensive, but we feel our finishing is notably higher for just a few bucks more. JPM/Bulang are usually about 20-40% more expensive than our straps. If you didn't view our strap favorably, you would be more than welcome to return it for a full refund of course.

    Noted with thanks on the sealant.

    Have you seen our Phalanx canvas straps? It's one of our most popular styles, really great nylon canvas strap that holds up very well. Thanks for the comment on the nylon NATO as well, the Premium line is my favorite as well.


    Thanks for the feedback, both of you. Hope you have a great weekend.

    -Thomas
    Thanks for the reply Thomas. I like to hear you standing by your price point. I'll try to pick up a Black Label strap soon!
    BALL / CHR. WARD / HAMILTON / MIDO / ORIS / SEIKO / SINN / ZENITH


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Dallas suburbs
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: what happened to C&B ?

    Bought several straps, over a few years. Always felt like I got what a fair, or better, deal.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    103

    Re: what happened to C&B ?

    I've only purchased natos from them and they have been good. Once I look at the leather offerings, I get swayed by other makers for the same price.

  9. #9
    Member Deity42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Houston!
    Posts
    1,190

    Re: what happened to C&B ?

    I bought one of the new Black Label bands earlier this year, I am pretty satisfied with the look and quality. The leather is very supple. The 12 o'clock side is a "smidge" short, exposing the spring bar a little, but hardly noticeable and I think this is acceptable given the handmade nature of the strap. The buckle is nothing exciting but fits the strap. When it comes time to pick up another "vintage" looking strap of this nature I might try another vendor just to compare.

    I think these are nice but would agree the "regular" C&B selections seem a little stagnant. I always have trouble getting the style I want in the width I need, so I have moved on to other suppliers for the more casual straps I want.

    Name:  20161024_133003[1].jpg
Views: 514
Size:  1.45 MB

    Name:  20161024_132943[1].jpg
Views: 514
Size:  1.38 MB

  10. #10
    Member pspagano2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    98

    Re: what happened to C&B ?

    I just bought one of their suede Black Label straps and the quality is definitely worth $85. It's like a Hodinkee strap for half the price. The lining is soft and comfortable and the suede is fantastic. I don't know what OP is talking about but from straps I've purchased before to the Black Label ones, it seems like C&B is getting better.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. This Happened! Lew & Huey Mods Hit the Market
      By hwa in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: July 28th, 2015, 18:00
    2. Replies: 35
      Last Post: July 23rd, 2015, 03:09
    3. SIHH 2014 ? What happened to Baume & Mercier ?
      By Watchuseek Feeds in forum Bloggers United
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: January 24th, 2014, 16:30
    4. what the heck happened to rock & roll
      By novedl in forum The Cafe
      Replies: 58
      Last Post: January 26th, 2010, 17:55
    5. My Lady Got a Watch (& it happened before I knew what hit me)
      By vbuskirk in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: June 30th, 2009, 16:23

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •