What's the Deal with NATO straps? - Page 2
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: What's the Deal with NATO straps?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: What's the Deal with NATO straps?

Quote Originally Posted by Cracky Wainwright View Post
    In the world of watches, what does NATO mean? Surely it doesn't mean North Atlantic Treaty Organization. All the NATO straps I see here on the forum are cheap, unattractive, synthetic cloth straps on very expensive watches meant to have leather straps or, even better, steel bracelets.

OK, I'm ready for my education. Y'all let me have it! Tell me what I need to know about NATO straps. --Cracky Wainwright, on the front porch here in rural Alabama with a glass of locally brewed Singing River beer
    I respect other likings, but I dislike those straps, it cheapens the watch

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Rolex Daytona TT - Deepsea - Submariner Date ceramic - GMT ceramic
    TagHeuer Aquaracer 300M - Aquaracer 500M - Link Bourne - Formula 1 44mm
    Omega Seamaster 2254 - Oris Divers Date - Citizen Promaster Diver EcoDrive
    lots of Solar Casios - tons of Invictas

Man, you've stumbled into the best kept secret on the internet. Nowhere has anything been posted on the elusive so called "NATO strap" ever, especially not on Watchuseek. Google and the search function here turn nothing up since the "the man" doesn't want you to learn about it. If I told you about my comfortable and rugged NATOs, damn, I'd risk my life, so I surely won't. Don't want to end up in a secret Invicta factory assembling 50mm watches for the rest of my life. I can only advise you to keep your nose out of this NATO business. I've already told you too much, I'm afraid. Oh no, they're here, I've gotta run. Goodbye.
    Last edited by Sea-Dog; 6 Days Ago at 22:19.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfreb View Post
    I respect other likings, but I dislike those straps, it cheapens the watch

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    IYO

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Here's a list of all the posts you'll find on WUS about 'that' subject...
    Name:  IMG_2459.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  26.2 KB

Considered a warmer weather strap, I suppose. I've only found a use for them on field watches on a dressed down outfit or on a hike.

I won't wear NATO with contact gloves anymore. That was a painfully uncomfortable combination. I prefer leather in the winter.

The dressiest watch I have that CAME with a NATO - the Oak & Oscar - just looks so good with the leather strap I won't switch them out.
    Casio Illuminator | Hidden Content | Xeric Halograph, Navy (311/999) | Eone Bradley Compass | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Oak and Oscar Sandford (161/200) | Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dog View Post
    Man, you've stumbled into the best kept secret on the internet. Nowhere has anything been posted on the elusive so called "NATO strap" ever, especially not on Watchuseek. Google and the search function here turn nothing up since the "the man" doesn't want you to learn about it. If I told you about my comfortable and rugged NATOs, damn, I'd risk my life, so I surely won't. Don't want to end up in a secret Invicta factory assembling 50mm watches for the rest of my life. I can only advise you to keep your nose out of this NATO business. I've already told you too much, I'm afraid. Oh no, they're here, I've gotta run. Goodbye.
    Fantastic. This is about the kind of response I want to give in the various car forums I'm on where someone asks, "where do you get car parts?"

This magical device called Google. Or the search function.
    AndrewFromTexas likes this.
    Casio Illuminator | Hidden Content | Xeric Halograph, Navy (311/999) | Eone Bradley Compass | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Oak and Oscar Sandford (161/200) | Hidden Content

Because they are spring bar fail proof! Even if one fails, another would still hold onto my watch.

Check out Strap Mill Canada. There is a double sided leather nato; which is an interesting take on the nato design.
    Name:  Leather_Nato_Watch_720x@2x.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  519.0 KB
    pic from smc site*
    Davidka and Slm643 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseverence View Post
    Fantastic. This is about the kind of response I want to give in the various car forums I'm on where someone asks, "where do you get car parts?"

This magical device called Google. Or the search function.
    Hmmm . . . when I post questions that are focused and specific on WUS, I get almost no response or interest. When I ask a more general question on a topic that's odd to me but one about which many of you clearly love to discuss, I get sarcastic 7th grade replies and rebukes. OK.

The truth is there are many posts on WUS showing pictures of NATO straps, but very few details about *why* a NATO strap is beneficial or desirable. Most of you LOVE to discuss watch concepts -- even the ones you've discussed before. Give people a break who haven't read and studied this forum for years and years. I see posts on WUS all the time that seem goofy or insignificant to me, yet those guys get 20+ positive responses.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Thread moved.
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

Natos are by far the most comfortable and cheapest straps. They are also rugged, more fail proof, stupid easy to replace (3 seconds with no tools in pitch dark) and they have non solid color desgins. Bracelet and leather look better but I prefer all the advantages above.

Once you go NATO - you can't go potato!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    There is a time for everything...
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information