Why are NATO straps so popular? I don't get it... - Page 3
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why are NATO straps so popular? I don't get it...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Why are NATO straps so popular? I don't get it...

Yes, nato straps are cheap (they are nylon and most go for only a few bucks) but boy they can spice up a watch.
    I like them because of the variety of colors and patterns they are available in. You can change a nato strap in less then a Minute and totally change the look of a watch.
    kpc001, THG and ezwip like this.

I used to like them and still have a drawer full. However I never liked the way they lift the watch up which is a problem with watches with protruding backs already, e.g. Sub. Also I find all the extra loops and tucked in bits distract from the watch. Then I discovered Perlon straps, the real Eulit ones, and have never used a NATO since. The Perlons look classier, IMHO, are much less bulky, fit perfectly, whereas I am always struggling to find the right hole on a NATO, dry very quickly, unlike NATOs, and still have the double spring bar security.

They're cheap and comfortable (at least to me). You can change the colors and styles up to match the occasion, or what you're wearing. I wore the red one on Christmas.
    Name:  IMG_0395.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  53.5 KBName:  xmas.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  58.3 KB
    ezwip likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gillmanjr View Post
    Been wondering for some time now why NATO straps seem to be so popular, particularly the 5 ring NATOs. I have tried over and over again to put a few different ones on some of my watches and I just can't understand the appeal, I hate them. I hate the way the rings look around the watch face, I hate the way the buckle sits on the side of the wrist rather than the bottom, and I especially hate the way you have to fold the end of it up and through the ring which makes it look bunched up above the watch. I suppose the only positive is that you won't lose the watch if one of the spring bars breaks, but that is such a rare occurrence that it doesn't seem worth it to me. So why do you guys like the way they look?
    Theres obviously a huge market for them. I went to check out DW at Baselworld and didn't see their appeal myself. They use nato straps and are well known for it. the watches are pretty basic but the marketing and their demographic don't really care about the movement in a watch. They just want something that looks nice and minimal until they get bored and catch on to the next trend.

I agree with you though that Natos aren't the best option. i prefer suede or leather

Quote Originally Posted by gillmanjr View Post
    Been wondering for some time now why NATO straps seem to be so popular, particularly the 5 ring NATOs. I especially hate the way you have to fold the end of it up and through the ring which makes it look bunched up above the watch. I suppose the only positive is that you won't lose the watch if one of the spring bars breaks, but that is such a rare occurrence that it doesn't seem worth it to me.

About spring bars breaking: It happened to me once, and I almost lost a Glycine Strato because of it. I caught it with my foot before it landed.
    You seem to have a nice collection - I hope that never happens to you. But when it does, you too will wish you had it on a NATO.

I get everything you hate about NATO's, but for me, they apply mostly to those fat ZULUs.
    Those really are atrocious.
    If a watch needs THAT much strap to withstand some unwanted force, I very much doubt your wrist is going to survive that kind of encounter too well, never mind the watch itself.

But those THIN ones? Especially in leather?
    Wonderful: Comfy, convenient, and quickly changeable.

But more to the aesthetics: the sheer variety of colors and patterns can aid you, quickly, in discovering a watch's many personalities.

By all means, do cut them if you don't like them bunching up. I do.

And now, a pic... or two:

Name:  DSCN4784.JPG
Views: 1540
Size:  53.3 KBName:  DSCN6657.JPG
Views: 1533
Size:  69.0 KB
    Last edited by Chronopolis; March 31st, 2015 at 04:23.
    Davidka and ezwip like this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Cheap, colorful, and easy to change is the answer. They don't look bad to most either.

This OEM strap one is only 1 of the 3 though, easy to change, haha.

tobiwankenobi and ezwip like this.

THG

Seiko 6309-7040 on BC rubber nato

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427785062.796383.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  270.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ezwip likes this.
    Me: Tag Heuer Carrera Racing, Tag Heuer Formula 1, Tudor Heritage Black Bay, Seiko SKX009J, Seiko 6309-7040, Seiko 6105-8110, Seiko Darth Tuna SBBN025
    Wife: Hublot classic MDM, Patek Philippe Ellipse d'or, Cartier Tank Louis

I have to admit I just bought a sand colored 3 ring heavy duty nato/zulu from C&B for my Squale 20 and I really do love it! I saw a few photos of a Rolex sub on one of these NATOs and thought it was really attractive so gave it a try with my Squale, I'm pleased. Though it was a nightmare getting it on the watch because the spring bars sit so close to the case on the Squale the HD nato wouldn't fit through, I had to remove the bars and squeeze them on.

DIVERS: Tudor Pelagos | Omega PO 2500 | IWC Aquatimer | Ball Skindiver | Oris TT1 | Oris Aquis | Sinn U1 | Squale 20 ATMOS | Steinhart Ocean One GMT | Benarus Moray 42 | Halios Laguna | Halios Tropik SS | Armida A6 | Deep Blue AM500 | Seiko MM300 | Seiko Sumo | Seiko SKX007 | Citizen Aqualand Duplex | Dievas Focal | River Tiber Sport

OTHERS: Fortis Flieger | Fortis Spacematic | Damasko DA36 | Lum-Tec V2 | Christopher Ward C40 | Steinhart Nav-B Chrono II

Welcome to the club, haha.
    Looks great.

Have a few, looks good but i just don't wear them, flimsy, cumbersome to put on and not as comfortable as a good regular strap.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information