Why are NATO straps so popular? I don't get it... - Page 5
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why are NATO straps so popular? I don't get it...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Why are NATO straps so popular? I don't get it...

if you don't like the thickness, way it raises up the back due to having 2 layers, look into RAF or 3 ring Zulus.

I personally like natos. square keepers look cool and I like how it raise the back of the watch off my wrist a bit. more comfy for me, depending on the watch of course.

secure, cheap, fun, and I like that it gives a tool watch that extra "toolness".

I have been a bracelet guy for a long time but getting deeper into military watches as of late, nylon strap is becoming my latest obsession/madness...
    Bodhi6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by THG View Post
    To each its own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Besides the obvious security reason and regardless of the trendiness they seem to have acquired. Natos look especially good on Divers/military influenced watches both new and old. Even big houses have started to pick up on this momentum (tudor, blancpain, omega, tag Heuer, etc) check out baselworld2015 latest...Oh and 5 rings? You're definitely referring to a Zulu strap not Nato. Google it up.

I'll add some of my watches that, to me, look good (be on nylon or rubber nato) and don't even get me started on perlon straps...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love me some of that Tudor Black Bay! How does that (rubber/silicon) nato feel/fit on that black bay? It looks pretty comfy

While I prefer Zulus over NATOs, I like them because I can coordinate them a little with what I'm wearing. If I want to be patriotic, I'll wear a red, white, and blue one. You can add a little color to your wrist. Also, in the summer, I hate it when my watch slides around due to sweat under a metal bracelet. No problem like that wearing a nylon strap.

Quote Originally Posted by gillmanjr View Post
    Been wondering for some time now why NATO straps seem to be so popular, particularly the 5 ring NATOs. I have tried over and over again to put a few different ones on some of my watches and I just can't understand the appeal, I hate them. I hate the way the rings look around the watch face, I hate the way the buckle sits on the side of the wrist rather than the bottom, and I especially hate the way you have to fold the end of it up and through the ring which makes it look bunched up above the watch. I suppose the only positive is that you won't lose the watch if one of the spring bars breaks, but that is such a rare occurrence that it doesn't seem worth it to me. So why do you guys like the way they look?
    For me it's about skin irritation. I can't wear metal bracelets and putting on a non-deployant clasp leather strap is frustrating. So I prefer NATO it is. I just wish I had more variety.

Totally changes the look of the watch. The only downside, if you can call it such, is the fact that you'll likely get more compliments on your watch BECAUSE of the nato strap. I'm thinking, "I dropped $4k on this Omega, and you're going on about my $14 accessory from Amazon?" WTH?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGP View Post
    I love them because it's so easy to change the look of a watch in just a couple of seconds. While I do agree that not every nato fits every watch and every taste, I think that their pros outweigh the cons. Maybe give another combo a try?
    Exactly my thoughts

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I generally hate NATO straps as well, due to the bulk of the double layer and the excess length that must be folded over. The buckles on either side are a bit much as well.

That said, I love simple Zulu one-piece straps... Not just the functional aspects, but the look as well. Simple and rugged.

gillmanjr:
    I have 4 watches remaining still on NATOs.
    But have morphed into the highest quality available Velcro designs.
    Find them superior to NATOs. My wrists swell overnite and contract
    during daylight, Get a better fit with Velcro.

Son is an Ironman and prefers Velcro on his running shoes. Easier to
    make the split between cycling to Marathon.

2 different uses for Velcro. Both work well. Jus saying!!

X Traindriver Art

I got a Seiko 5 SNZ and I like that I can buy cheap straps to change it up. I too was wary of the big loop over and I'd hate that. I tuck it back down and back through the bottom loop and it look neat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use nato/perlons because I sweat a lot on the job and I like how the material feels. They are also durable and I don't care if it gets stained or wet. That being said I do look for natos that are as minimal as possible ie. no big rings, clinking, etc...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast