Why a rubber watch band? - Page 3
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why a rubber watch band?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Why a rubber watch band?

I have an Omega Seamaster with SS bracelet, and I like it very much.
    I have a Fortis Pilot Professional Chrono, the SS bracelet of it feels cheap, and doesn't look so good, with some also cheapo deployant. I like it with leather, but for summer (h2o, sweating...) I prefer rubber band (Bonetto Cinturini), and I like it very much,

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy4000 View Post
    Maybe I am alone, but I HATE rubber straps. I hate the feel and the look. Does nothing for me. I won't criticize anyone who loves them though. It's their choice and their feel.
    You are not alone (or maybe you are - I don't HATE much, and nothing inanimate that I can think of except Pinto cars, but that's really not a concern and never was for me...but the thought of a neighbor having one and parking it within a mile of my house gave me the heebie-jeebies back when they weren't yet discovered to be mobile IEDs,

Having said all that, I have to admit I've never tried on a high-end "rubber" strap as some have described here as "the most comfortable", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Gotta give credit to Hublot for this craze, I wound never wear one, they don't breath. It's all about style.
    Hublot? I don't doubt it, but I always thought of Bvlvari as being the first expensive watches to come with rubber straps? The first rubber strap I ever saw (maybe I've lived a "sheltered life"?) was on the wrist of a co-worker about 20 years ago... I wondered at first why a nice looking watch would be worn with a strap from a G-Shock watch ;) When I found out it was something like $6K, I was pretty much stunned. Bvlvari was, I guess, always an innovator. What other brand name uses 4 consonants consecutively (Slavik states excluded). The name always makes me think of Mel Brook's at the Vnemployment office in "History of the World".

As for the "diversity" angle, I could go along with that (I just got a watch with a much softer rubber strap than the one I got (only to be immediately replaced) on a Seiko SKX173 (which I returned after having my old but no longer reliable SKX007 "resurrected". It hadn't run in so long I wondered why I didn't just throw it away years ago. That Seiko rubber strap was stiff and rough and just something I didn't have the patience to get used to (or the desire).

I'll give this new one a shot but I don't see how I could ever (never say never - I know!) get used to the look and lack of breathability of a petroleum based watch strap. One thing I don't think I could ever get invested in is the rubber straps that can't be replaced. I don't know how many watches are being sold with those type of straps, but I know of at least a few. (I realize they can be replaced by the manufacturer, but it seems only with the same strap the watches came with???)

I have enough "diversity" to be satisfied with just steel, nylon (G-10 straps) and of course leather - in fact, I got on my computer just a few minutes ago just to check out leather NATO straps. (my browser was still on "watchuseek" from last night.

In hot weather a rubber strap may be more useful and more comfortable for your wrist. It makes your watch easier to clean and gives a bit more sporty look to your wrist.

I heard Rubber B makes great straps for Rolex, Panerai, and Tudor so I ordered one last week. I can let you know how it goes.

Fits over my wetsuits:

And its comfy

Cheers
    bigclive2011 and Cobia like this.

Rubber straps are the best. Especially for every day use.

They can get wet and not get ruined[leather on a diver? Really?].

They don't stretch or fit looser when wet[NATO/Zulu].

And, they hold heavier watches in place much better than a bracelet does. And they don't have to be as tight to do so because the rubber 'grabs' the skin.

YMMV
    My name is Matt R and I'm a lumaholic.

John 14:6

More Lion, less Lamb.

"Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic."

Quote Originally Posted by A MattR of Time View Post
    Rubber straps are the best. Especially for every day use.

They can get wet and not get ruined[leather on a diver? Really?].

They don't stretch or fit looser when wet[NATO/Zulu].

And, they hold heavier watches in place much better than a bracelet does. And they don't have to be as tight to do so because the rubber 'grabs' the skin.

YMMV
    All this plus I would add two reasons why I keep all my watches on rubber in the summer:
    If your wrist expands rubber always has some play in it to expand
    On deskdiving it does not scratch or leave marks on your laptop or desk
    A MattR of Time likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fomenko View Post
    I wear rubber in the swimming pool, the beach, mainly during vacations.
    In my office usually SS bracelet, and leather for more dressy occasions.
    This is the way most of us wear our watches. I will add that my wrists sweat more than any other part of my body ( go figure) so during the summer I have no choice than change leather straps for rubber.
    lvt likes this.

heb

For me, it is two reasons:
    1. Lighten the load (comfort). A metal bracelet typically accounts for 40 to 45% of the watch's overall weight.
    2. Functionality. Unlike leather, you can soak a rubber strap in your sweat with no damaging effects; just rinse it off.

heb
    lvt and m0tty like this.

Banned

I don't don't do well with rubber, maybe it's because it gets my wrist sweaty.

I find the high quality Rubber Straps to be very comfortable to wear. Very aromatic to the nose and very durable. Besides they do not slide around on my wrist like leather straps and ss bracelets do. IMO, Hirsch and Marathon are makers of excellent Rubber Straps.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information