Why a rubber watch band?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why a rubber watch band?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Why a rubber watch band?

Hi everyone, first post here, but have lurking for awhile. I've been looking to get a new watch, and have noticed quite a few of you here and quite a few that are being sold have rubber watch bands. Why? I understand that it's for diving, but I wouldn't think everybody here dives. Is it for the looks, are they more comfortable? Personally, I've always had either a leather or stainless band and wouldn't think of getting one with a rubber watch band. But the more I see, the more I'm starting to consider it. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Re: Why a rubber watch band?

Speaking for myself; I have rubber on some of my "H2O watches".
    I'm not a fan of bracelets.

Forgive me the chance to wax lyrical given the topic; but the new Omega rubber straps are the best straps I've ever encountered period - so says a previously committed bracelet man.

Photos do not communicate their merits adequately. They don't look like rubber. They don't look like leather - and more to the point they don't look like like fake leather.

They look like something between rubber and leather in a good good way - and they wear better than anything. Ever. The end.
    sager and risti like this.

An important consideration is sweat. Leather can get nasty with sweat. So any watch, not just diving, that is worn in outdoor conditions, with sunlight, activity, the elements, etc can really benefit from a rubber strap vs leather. Any dirt or sweat can be washed off very easily without any consequences and its back to new. Bracelet would work in these situations as well, but dirt can get between the links and hard to clean, not to mention scratching the bracelet which can happen quite easily. I think rubber is highly functional and is crucial to sports watches.
    m0tty likes this.

Gotta give credit to Hublot for this craze, I wound never wear one, they don't breath. It's all about style.

Rubber looks casual (gets my mind off a bracelet that I wear for work), masculine and the sporty black looks great in contrast with silver of metal.

It feels more comfortable to me

Quote Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
    Rubber looks casual (gets my mind off a bracelet that I wear for work), masculine and the sporty black looks great in contrast with silver of metal.
    Agreed. I absolutely love a stainless watch on a black anything band. Makes it really pop. One of my smartest purchases was a black rubber Bonetto Cinturini strap for my Citizen diver. Biggest pluses: weather proof, casual look, as comfortable as it gets, and smells of sweet vanilla. I'm not biased when it comes to bands but rubber has it's place no doubt.
    G-shock G-100
    G-shock GW-300
    Victorinox Classic Chrono
    Citizen NY0040 Diver
    Citizen BN0100 eco-drive diver
    Ollech & Wajs MP2801
    Orient Black Mako
    Maratec Mid-Sized Pilot
    Sea-Gull M177S
    Seiko 5 orange neo monster
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist

I wear rubber in the swimming pool, the beach, mainly during vacations.
    In my office usually SS bracelet, and leather for more dressy occasions.

Banned

Ribber ( or more correctly- synthetic rubber) straps are waaaay cheaper to make than other straps.
    A very clever idea, making them fashionable. Saves the manufacturers lot of money, and increases the profit marging.

I take my leatherstraps into the sea. No problem. The only visual difference is that they get a little bit darker. Which happens anyway, as I have a habit of applying Mink Oil to all my straps as soon as I have bought the watch or strap.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information