Do ALL of the dates change over at EXACTLY midnight?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Do ALL of the dates change over at EXACTLY midnight?

-->
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Do ALL of the dates change over at EXACTLY midnight?

I was just wondering because I have a watch (not Rolex) that the date will change and then (I think) hours later, the day will change. I was assuming that ALL watches' dates changed at EXACTLY midnight? (Or does that depend on the movement to where the date might change at midnight or a little after.) ie:12:05am.

Re: Do ALL of the dates change over at EXACTLY midnight?

dates change IME pretty close to Midnight, although I've not had a dead-ringer, and don't really care--10 minutes either way I'm ok, and that's what they almost always are. Some "days" change around 3a.m. I know that's the case with Orients--not sure about the 7750 or the 2836.

Never really thought about it before, but the day changing at 3a.m. or so I'm assuming is late like that because the date mechanism needs to expend itself first; because obviously, ideally you would want both day and date to change together at midnite.

One of my Datejusts changes at about 12:02 and the other around 12:04. Rolex dates snap over immediately rather than rolling and most of them change quite closely to midnight but it's not unusual for them to be a minute or few off.

Jeannie

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Sean779 View Post
    dates change IME pretty close to Midnight, although I've not had a dead-ringer, and don't really care--10 minutes either way I'm ok, and that's what they almost always are. Some "days" change around 3a.m. I know that's the case with Orients--not sure about the 7750 or the 2836.
    Hi Sean :P

I have two 2836 watches and the day/date change at around 5 minutes before midnight, I believe that the 7750 has the similar spring-loaded day/date mechanism (the 7750 is literally a 2836 with a chrono module in its top).

I think that the date mechanism is technically designed to change at midnight but due to the spring's nature there will always be a small amount of deviation of some minutes to midnight, there is no way you can control the spring's action. Even if the date changes at midnight +/-5 min. it's still 99% accurate.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    (the 7750 is literally a 2836 with a chrono module in its top).

next you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus .

I've always heard and thought the 7750 was designed as a chronograph from the ground up, unlike the ETA2894 w/ the Dubois Depraz module piggybacking on the 2892.
    lvt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
    One of my Datejusts changes at about 12:02 and the other around 12:04. Rolex dates snap over immediately rather than rolling and most of them change quite closely to midnight but it's not unusual for them to be a minute or few off.

Jeannie
    Whew! Thanks Jeannie! I thought that I was going crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    I think that the date mechanism is technically designed to change at midnight but due to the spring's nature there will always be a small amount of deviation of some minutes to midnight, there is no way you can control the spring's action. Even if the date changes at midnight +/-5 min. it's still 99% accurate.
    Thank you for your input! I'm glad to hear that this is "normal" for a Rolex. LOL!!

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Sean779 View Post
    next you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus .

I've always heard and thought the 7750 was designed as a chronograph from the ground up, unlike the ETA2894 w/ the Dubois Depraz module piggybacking on the 2892.
    Indeed, technically they aren't the same, but sometimes the day/date configuration somehow creates a resemblance between the two movements, and the fact that both of them actually come from the same manufacturer may lead to such statement.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I"m going to sound real anal retentive here....but, the watch doesn't know what time it is when the mechanism changes the date. The movement only 'knows' that when the hour wheel makes 24 revolutions, the spring mechanism that pushes the date wheel to the next cog develops enough tension to force that date wheel to the next position.

It is the watchmaker who determines either by luck or skill where the watch hands are positioned when that release of tension takes place.

Generally when the hands are placed on the pinions, the watch is set to just when the date wheel changes. It's the hour hand that goes on first to the large pinion and it would be set at that point straight up at the 12. Then a watchmaker will generally rotate the set wheel to a 3, 6 or 9 position to give a logical reference point to the minute hand at either a 90 or 180 degree angle to the hour hand. Then the second sweep hand can be set on it's pinion.

If there's some sloppiness in the hand positioning, then to the watch owner it will appear that the date changes at a point other than 'midnight'...a few minutes before or after. Because each movement probably has different spring tension points that will slowly change over time, that date change over the years can vary by a few minutes.

There is no right or wrong...the watch movement is at the mercy of the human and mechanical variables that make up the fascinating world of watch works.
    I Like Watches and lvt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
    I"m going to sound real anal retentive here....but, the watch doesn't know what time it is when the mechanism changes the date. The movement only 'knows' that when the hour wheel makes 24 revolutions, the spring mechanism that pushes the date wheel to the next cog develops enough tension to force that date wheel to the next position.

It is the watchmaker who determines either by luck or skill where the watch hands are positioned when that release of tension takes place.

Generally when the hands are placed on the pinions, the watch is set to just when the date wheel changes. It's the hour hand that goes on first to the large pinion and it would be set at that point straight up at the 12. Then a watchmaker will generally rotate the set wheel to a 3, 6 or 9 position to give a logical reference point to the minute hand at either a 90 or 180 degree angle to the hour hand. Then the second sweep hand can be set on it's pinion.

If there's some sloppiness in the hand positioning, then to the watch owner it will appear that the date changes at a point other than 'midnight'...a few minutes before or after. Because each movement probably has different spring tension points that will slowly change over time, that date change over the years can vary by a few minutes.

There is no right or wrong...the watch movement is at the mercy of the human and mechanical variables that make up the fascinating world of watch works.
    Wow! Thank you! Well Said Kawika! Bravo!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information