WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Do any of you prefer Tudor to Rolex

32K views 278 replies 178 participants last post by  Redmund 
#1 ·
I know that Tudor is the little brother brand to Rolex but I was wondering how many people actually prefer Tudor to Rolex? For example how many would prefer a Black Bay to a Submariner?

#201 ·
I skipped right past the Submariner display and bought a Black Bay Black ETA, then bought a Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine.
The only three Rolexes that I have any interest in whatsoever are the Milgauss and '16 Air-King (I own both of them) and the blue dial Yachtmaster (just turned off by the rather soft platinum bezel).
I'd choose the new Black Bay 41 over the Explorer I.
All the Tudor lineup is missing is a nice GMT.

Reactions: Dan_957
#211 ·
I prefer Tudor vastly over Rolex, obviously they're like half the cost so that's nice but also I like being separated from the social perceptions of a person who wears X-brand. And if for no other reason than the name alone is SOOO fashionable, I can't help but consider/ feel like Rolex is a fashion brand, where the pricing is based more on the demand for the name then the qualities of the product in relation to some of its competitors.

#214 · (Edited)
As a prospective owner; I'm leaning toward the Pelagos (over a no date sub). Having tried both on side by side I was more drawn to the Tudor ($4000 in my pocket helps, but was not the deciding factor).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

#215 ·
As a prospective owner; I'm leaning toward the Pelagos (over a no date sub). Having tried both on side by side I was more drawn to the Tudor ($4000 in my pocket helps, too).

About 9 months ago, I went to a local AD with the intention of purchasing a 116610LN. For the heck of it, I stopped over at the Tudor case in the same store to take a look at the Pelagos. I compared the two watches and ultimately chose the Pelagos. The two watches are similar, but completely different. The Pelagos is definitely more rough & tumble when compared to the Sub; this was more in line with what I was looking for.

9 months later, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Datejust 36mm :)

#216 ·
I expected to love both but as soon as I tried on the Pelagos I said aloud "that's the one".

#220 ·
Reading others comments on their love at first sight/trying on of the Pelagos, and that was my experience exactly. I had a nice collection of "entry" range Seiko's, Armida's, and a Maratac 46mm pilot, and through experiencing those watches I had narrowed my parameters of scale, finish, and "style" and was ready to step up to my first grail purchase....but which Rolex? I loved the classic two tone blue sub, but tried it on and just didn't "feel" it. Tried on the Explorer II, ditto. Just "meh". Tried on the 39mm Explorer I and loved it, and WILL own one someday, but it just wasn't giving me that tingling sensation if you know what I mean. I am not at all saying that these aren't AWESOME pieces that are the perfect fit for those that own and love them, but after spending a couple of years of lustily scrolling through pictures and reading reviews on this site I was shocked that when I turned the corner to the Tudor display and saw the Blue Pelagos sitting there I knew that was it. I'd seen the pics....meh. But in the flesh..."lemme see dat!" Its lightweight, but substantial construction. Its materials; titanium, ceramic, sapphire, and steel. It's new in-house movement. That blue! It was love at first sight.

Attachments

#223 ·
My wallet prefers Tudor to Rolex. :-d If i could afford it i would definitely buy a Seadweller, but other than that there isn't a Rolex that i really want. Most seem a bit small for my liking.

#224 ·
I love the pelagos. I’ve owned every version except the lhd. The only qualm I have is related to the bezel lume paint. I wish it were part of the bezel instead of having the chance of falling out or being damaged. Other than that, lovely piece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#231 · (Edited)
The only Tudor that I've ever wanted was the Black Bay 36. Other than that, for every Tudor there is an Omega for a similar price that I'd rather have. And if money is was no object then I'd rather have a Rolex in every instance. I know it's hip and trendy to like Tudor but the designs just don't do anything for me. I wish they did b/c the pre-owned price of certain Tudors is pretty enticing.

#234 · (Edited)
I don’t really have brand preferences, just model preferences. Overall, Rolex watches are better, but the price premium is significant. That said, I think my Sub-C is just about perfect and well worth the premium.

If I like a Tudor model and I think the price is reasonable, I’ll buy it too. I love my NF and I suspect it’s a question of when, not if I buy a Pelagos. If I was choosing between an explorer and a NF, I’d choose (did choose) the NF because I’m a sucker for Genta styling and the explorer is too similar to my Sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#236 ·
Money aside, I prefer the superior quality of Rolex (obviously) but the vintage aesthetic of Tudor (matte dials, tapered lugs, and domed crystals). If I were worth many, many millions of dollars, I would have a large collection including a Black Bay, Pelagos, and some vintage Rolex but probably no modern ceramic Subs. I would pick up the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39, though, as it's becoming my favorite contemporary Rolex. It's just so simple and beautiful. Actually, if I found $5,000 in cash laying on the street I'd probably run to the nearest AD and buy a Perpetual 39. For now, I'll have to make due with my vintage Tudor Sub and Tudor North Flag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.