I need some advice: Pelagos Vs Second Hand Rolex Sub Vs Snowflake Tudor
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hoppyjr

Thread: I need some advice: Pelagos Vs Second Hand Rolex Sub Vs Snowflake Tudor

I need some advice: Pelagos Vs Second Hand Rolex Sub Vs Snowflake Tudor

Hi Guys,

Want to throw open a watch dilema to the forum in order to get some sage advice.

At the moment I have a Laco Flieger on my wrist and I love the thing and it's taught me a few things about my taste in time pieces that might help the conversation:

1. I'm not a vintage fan for vintage sake (wouldnt get an old Fleiger just because its old).
    2. I do like providence in a watch (would get an old Fleiger if it actually saw military service).
    3. I like to use my watch (so in the context of a diver I'd like to dive with it).
    4. I love tool watches.

In the Rolex/Tudor context I'm struggling with a savage urge to purchase the Pelagos. It's a stunning watch in my mind and it's the first one that has really captivated me.

My concern at this point is that this is a serious watch with a serious price tag - it enters into the "investment" category more then the "flippant purchase" category, for me anyway.

I'd be keen to know how others approach this?

I'm not looking to make money if I purchased but I would love to not take a massive hit if I ever needed to sell. In this respect a second hand or vintage piece would make more sense as someone else has already take the depreciation hit - my issue with this is that I dont really get turned on by vintage - I like lume that glows, divers that are water proof etc etc.

Something like the black bay proves the point - love the retro styling but love that its a new watch.

Sorry I'm probably not being particulary clear - having a hard time sorting out the question in my own mind.

Danny

Danny,

As an owner of a Pelagos I would heartily recommend it. If it's what makes you happy when you see it, then it's the one to buy. Worry less about brand or resale and more about what is calling your name. You already realize it isn't an investment, but the Pelagos should retain value pretty well. It really is a great watch and one you won't see everywhere. Here's mine:

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1346655664382.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  89.1 KB

sent using Tapatalk
    ufrid likes this.

Re: I need some advice: Pelagos Vs Second Hand Rolex Sub Vs Snowflake Tudor

Mate,

I've looked at your posts a million times I think and you're certainly to blame for at least half of my wanting to buy it!

Do you have any concerns over the longevity of the titanium or the finish? With stainless you can always polish out the odd scuff or mark but I'm wondering if that is possible with the Pelagos? I've also heard that titanium is generally softer then stainless?

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Danny

I don't have specific knowledge of the ability to refinish this particular watch, but I've owned other titanium pieces and never experienced any issues. Those prior ti pieces were easily refinished much like stainless watches. My Pelagos has only a couple desk diving marks, which seem to be less noticeable that those I've experienced on my stainless steel Rolex models, during the same length of ownership. I believe this will be a durable and attractive watch for many, many years.

sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hoppyjr; September 3rd, 2012 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyStyle View Post
    I'm not looking to make money if I purchased but I would love to not take a massive hit if I ever needed to sell. In this respect a second hand or vintage piece would make more sense as someone else has already take the depreciation hit - my issue with this is that I dont really get turned on by vintage - I like lume that glows, divers that are water proof etc etc.
    My advice would be to wait and pick one up lightly used. It's a very hot watch right now with people paying full MSRP and some even paying a premium.
    Wait a few months and you'll get a better deal as there will be more supply, less demand.
    GW-5000 (x2), MTG-S1000BS, PRW-3000-2CR
    SBGA001, SBGC005
    16610LV, 116400GV, 116610LV

I'm not so sure about that.....

Since Tudor isn't yet available in the US - and many people in the US appear interested in the watch (based on reviews, forum posts, and blogs) I believe it will keep demand (therefore pricing) at or above MSRP for the near future.

sent using Tapatalk

They're both fine watches of high quality and impeccable design.
    The Pelagos looks very modern with smooth lines and a more bulky case.
    The Snowflake is smaller and vintage but still looking semi-modern rather than antique.
    Perhaps it's a timeless classic like it's Rolex submariner sibling.
    One of mine just came back from a service fully pressure tested and good for diving.
    The snowflake has a big advantage in cost with most coming in between $2-4000 depending on condition, bracelet etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the excellent replies!

I'm really torn! Part of me just wants to go and get one now, part of me thinks I should wait a year and pick one up second hand and par of me thinks maybe a vintage model would be the better decision.

If money were no object I'd just get the pelagos I think!

Danny

Thread Information