Rolex 16800 vs. Tudor Pelagos
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rolex 16800 vs. Tudor Pelagos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rolex 16800 vs. Tudor Pelagos

Hello Everyone:

Relatively new to the forum, but I have enjoyed perusing the various threads since becoming a member. I would like your opinions on an issue I have been struggling with...I am in the process of adding a dive watch to my relatively small collection, and am struggling to decide between a Rolex 16800 (pre-1985) or a Tudor Pelagos. I realize these are pretty different watches, but I am curious to get a conversation started and see what the experts think. Thank you in advance.

Nick

Re: Rolex 16800 vs. Tudor Pelagos

I have the Pelagos & without a doubt love it; not a big fan of the mercedes hands or the cyclops... but in this case I think I'd go for the Sub, much better "investment" of your watch dollars I think.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

Get the sub first. The pelagos is basically the tool version.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    Rolex Yachtmaster 16622
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Omega Seamaster TV Dial Vintage
    Halios Tropik B
    Seiko Shogun
    Seiko Presage SRP436
    Concord Impresario
    Ball ​Engineer Master II TMT

I would personally go for the Sub first as Pelagos will/should be around later when you want one

I just bought the Pelagos, but I already own several subs and SeaDwellers. Get the Sub first IMHO
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Thanks everyone for the input...looks like the sub is winning out....so my next question is should it be the 16800 or the 16610LV? Again, both very different watches. Interested to get your thoughts....

You're on the fence a bit, which is typical given the type of money we're talking about, but you must really listen to you heart on this one. You can get the very best of other's opinions but it will your wrist, (and money,) that really matters.

The early LV and the transitional 16800 are very different watches IMO. I would not think them to be an easy one or the other choice really.

What is your reasoning for choosing these two references?

That answer may better help us assist you.
    Стрела

Russian Watch Forum, Rolex & Tudor Watch Forum, & Pilot's and Military Watch Forum Moderator

The Pelagos is a better dive watch than the Submariner and cheaper to own as well given the servicing costs which, IMO, should be cheaper than the ones for the Rolex. It is a worse "investment" than the Rolex which on the other hand requires you to take greater care of it to eventually return the investment. IMO, the Submariner is also the prettier watch and usable in more situations.

The next serious watch I'll buy will probably be a dive watch and I'll be taking a very serious look at the Pelagos. That watch means business.

Quote Originally Posted by nickshahani View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input...looks like the sub is winning out....so my next question is should it be the 16800 or the 16610LV? Again, both very different watches. Interested to get your thoughts....
    Get the newer LV. You can always swap out bezel inserts for a more conservative look.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Rolex Yachtmaster 16622
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Omega Seamaster TV Dial Vintage
    Halios Tropik B
    Seiko Shogun
    Seiko Presage SRP436
    Concord Impresario
    Ball ​Engineer Master II TMT

Quote Originally Posted by Strela View Post
    You're on the fence a bit, which is typical given the type of money we're talking about, but you must really listen to you heart on this one. You can get the very best of other's opinions but it will your wrist, (and money,) that really matters.

The early LV and the transitional 16800 are very different watches IMO. I would not think them to be an easy one or the other choice really.

What is your reasoning for choosing these two references?

That answer may better help us assist you.
    Thanks again for all the input. I guess I should clarify, I will not be using my Sub for diving. My reasoning behind these two watches is as follows:

-The 16800 is a great watch with the best of both worlds, old and new. I like the idea of owning a vintage Rolex because its something out of the ordinary. Anyone who has the bankroll can walk into a store and buy a new black Submariner, and there is nothing wrong with that. For me, there is a lot of value in getting something unique. At this price point, I want to feel as though I have something special. The 16800 is a watch people in the know will recognize and respect, and it's not something everyone has or can get their hands on without a little effort.

- The LV is a unique watch in and of itself. I feel like most people in selecting their first Sub would opt for the black one because it is so classic. The LV is a little daring, and unusual. It's also a little flashy.

I would be purchasing both used, so price is more of less the same (if I opted for the Tudor I would probably purchase from an AD).

Thanks again for the responses. I hope this clarifies my intent a little bit.

-Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information