WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Rolex service center vs independents - how do they differ and what are you really paying for?

84K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  David Woo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello.

My parents both have 2 older Rolexes purchased in the 80's and are both in need of a service. Their financial situation now isn’t what it used to be so servicing their Rolex at ROLEX is a little out of their price range.

If they go to a local qualified watch maker they can get a movement service done (its all that is needed) for a fraction of what it would costs for ROLEX base price for a 'overhaul'.

What are you paying for when you send it to ROLEX for the service? how come it is so much more expensive?

- Does ROLEX re-COSC certify it after the movement is cleaned and is that where the added cost comes in?
- Does a cleaning drastically change the precision of the movement to justify getting it recertified?

thanks.

#2 ·
What are you paying for when you send it to ROLEX for the service? how come it is so much more expensive?
Does your local watchmaker have a multi-million dollar sponsorship program for golf, tennis, motor racing , skiing, equestrian sports and offshore yachting?
Do they also heavily sponsor expeditions and the arts?
Do they have a muti-million dollar annual marketing budget?
My watchmaker doesn't and I suspect that's a contributing factor in his ability to provide reasonably priced service.

#5 ·
Rolex service = Rolex parts and Rolex 2 year warranty. If you're planning to sell the watch on, potential buyers like to see the Rolex warranty card and you can charge a small premium for having it

#6 ·
Good information.

I think ill recommend my parents not to send to Rolex because they just need a cleaning.

Lastly, no one has confirmed if Rolex gets the watch re-certified (COSC) after the overhaul... does anyone know if they do this? that could account for part of the price difference.

#7 ·
I don't think the corp. RSC's have the equipment to COSC the watches they service & the watch wouldn't be sent back to Switz.
If you can find an independent watchmaker w/ Rolex certification & a Rolex parts account, you're good to go....the Rolex movts. are not impossible to service.

Reactions: Paulccliu
#8 ·
They don't re-COSC the mov'ts, but they will regulate them and they will keep great time. If you can get the name of a good independent watchmaker, and you trust them I hope it works out to be cheaper for you.

#9 ·
It will be less expensive to use an independent, but I concur with the recommendation that you find one with a Rolex parts ac..... At least in the USA, a watchmaker with permission to buy parts from Rolex has been inspected by Rolex to assure more than a minimal amount of technical expertise and facility maintance in order to represent the Rolex line, at least insofar as repairs are concerned.

If indeed it's just time for a 'routine' service, then expect the same outcome, but with lesser cost. In the USA, a watch sent to Rolex repair gets passed off from one technician to another on task specific work with the 'senior' watchmaker finally looking at the watch at the end of the process and seeing if it passes muster. When you work with an individual, then you are likely to have the same person working start to finish who has to assure expertise and customer satisfaction. If I needed authentication or a dial or bracelet, then the Rolex RSC is my choice...but for routine service, I have and use an independent.

#10 ·
I have used Rolex service center in NYC about five times and my local AD who has a Rolex certified watchmaker one time. The service was excellent at both places and the cost was not significantly different. Rolex gives a one year warranty following service and so does my local AD. If your watch does not come back looking better than the day tou bought it then you should have used Rolex. Whoever you send the watch to you should be sure that they will be using 100% new Rolex parts.

#11 ·
My next-door-neighbor and good friend is a Rolex certified technician. He has several visits each year by a Rolex regional repair exec and also must do annual CE. In addition, he has to re-certify biennially, which involves rebuilding a chronograph movement (usually a VJ7750), making parts from scratch on a lathe, etc. Finally, he must maintain all of the equipment necessary for cleaning, polishing/brushing and pressure-testing watches to ensure factory compliance. All of this is required for him to maintain his Rolex parts account. When he has finished overhauling a watch, it looks practically brand new.

My understanding is that Rolex techs are forbidden to service watches that have been worked on by non-Rolex watch repairers. It also is said Rolex service centers will not touch such a watch.

If you can find a Rolex technician to do your overhaul, you likely will save some money and have a quicker turnaround. You also will get the same result as from a RSC (caveat: only a RSC can service a Deep Sea).

#13 ·
My understanding is that Rolex techs are forbidden to service watches that have been worked on by non-Rolex watch repairers. It also is said Rolex service centers will not touch such a watch.

If you can find a Rolex technician to do your overhaul, you likely will save some money and have a quicker turnaround. You also will get the same result as from a RSC (caveat: only a RSC can service a Deep Sea).
I think what you're referring to is the policy of Rolex USA to not work on a watch that's been modified with aftermarket things like bracelets and dials and bezels, or out and out fakes. Rolex is more than happy to work on and take your money for a Rolex that is as it left the factory or has had only real Rolex parts like dials or bracelets installed. They will not work on watches where someone has upgraded a bezel...say from smooth to fluted or stainless steel to YG, or someone who has installed a dial with aftermarket diamonds or an aftermarket diamond bezel.

#12 ·
I bought my SS Submariner 41 years ago at the Howard Air Force base PX in the Canal Zone in 1970. You'll have to take my word for this but I paid $175.00 for it out of the display case. Someone had returned it (if you can believe anyone doing that) so it's wasn't "new"; hence the sale price. I happened to be standing at the watch display case as the clerk set the boxed watch on the shelf. I told her I wanted it before she had her hand out of the case, and laid down my cash.

Now, for the rest of the story. I've had it cleaned perhaps 5 times. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I got the notion to bounce the case serial number off a web list that listed the serial number by years of Rolex production. To my surprise, I discovered the serial number was out of the late 80's I think. Now I'm believing some "Authorized Rolex Repair store" replaced my original case with a newer one so he could take advantage of the lower number making it more valuable. But, in any case I still have the watch. But I wish I could find some way of heightening the flourescence of the numbers and hands so I could read the time in low light.

#14 ·
I believe you regarding the price...in 1976 I paid $225 for a Stainless Steel Rolex date model, sent to me in the US by a Swiss AD...postage included.

As for the case number...if your watch was purchased in 1970, then it would have a serial number without letters...and if you do enough research on the mystery of numbering, you'll find that Rolex did run out of numbers and start over again before moving to the prefix letter + a number in the late 80's...so maybe yours was from the original numbering. I suppose it's not impossible, but I've never heard of a reputable repair person stealing the case for personal gain and replacing it with another case.

#17 ·
This thread is rather dated, but thought to reply regardless in hopes it may help someone.
I have a 12 year old Explorer II...running about 45 seconds slow, which is too slow for me.
There are independent Rolex guys in my town, but I chose to take the watch to a local Jeweler who retails Rolex.
So...here's what he said; at one time they repaired Rolex in house, and now send all items to the US Rolex Service Center. To be an authorized service center requires a $150K investment in machines, training and other expenses, which they felt was not a good investment for them. To get Rolex parts, you must be an authorized service center. If a Rolex has any modifications, Rolex will not work on it.
They are sending my watch to Rolex for an overhaul....expected price tag to be between $600 and $900 and also expect to have the stem replaced. In comparing prices, there are after-market folk who will service for $400...and the some of our sponsors quote $600...so I expect to pay a premium for the service.
However, I will also have a Rolex 2 yr warranty and service history to put into my leather warranty wallet, which I think has value, in the event I wish to sell the watch later (not saying I'll recoup my entire cost)...I also expect a high rate of service excellence from Rolex (not saying others equally as good...I just don't know).
All in all, as I expect to keep the watch and hand it to my son in 10 years, I feel the value is worth the price....others may disagree....but for me, this is the right decision.
Your mileage may vary.
Anthony, Louisville, KY

#19 ·
There are independent Rolex guys in my town, but I chose to take the watch to a local Jeweler who retails Rolex.
So...here's what he said; at one time they repaired Rolex in house, and now send all items to the US Rolex Service Center. To be an authorized service center requires a $150K investment in machines, training and other expenses, which they felt was not a good investment for them. To get Rolex parts, you must be an authorized service center.
It's always nice when a newbie resurrects an old thread. :-!

To be what you're referring to as an "authorized service center" (a rather grandiose description, perhaps Rolex's idea :think:), an individual needs to be at least CW21 certified, have a certain amount of experience, successfully completed Rolex's training, and passed their written and practical exams. As you point out, these technicians also are expected to buy Rolex-mandated equipment, although it probably could be had for less than $150K. They're also expected to have continuing education and pass periodic reexamination of their skills. Such a watchmaker can expect to receive all the repair work he or she can accommodate from Rolex ADs within a reasonable distance, since almost all have done what the AD referenced by the poster has done: either farm it out to the RSC, or send it to a local authorized technician. Few Rolex ADs maintain an in-house authorized watchmaker.

If there was an authorized technician in Louisville who would repair my watch, I would give it to that person before I would send it to RSC. Independent technicians must be able to provide the same refinishing and testing as RSC, except for the Deepsea (which must be sent to Switzerland). The quality of repairs and warrantying of them are almost always identical to that provided by the RSC, or better. The presence of nonconforming parts will not require replacement (unless worn and in need of replacement). Turnaround almost always is quicker. Loss of the watch during transit is significantly less frequent. All in all, it is virtually impossible to not come out ahead when dealing with an independent Rolex-authorized technician.

Reactions: propforall
#18 ·
COSC is an independant lab that certifies the movements. Not aware that COSC will recert older movements. When serviced they are generally regulate back to within standards which is all that really matters.

#20 ·
Although we are the center of the universe for 2.5 minutes every year, the preference of our citizenry leans more to the Timex...the more cognoscenti among us, a Seiko...so no, no true authorized technicians...we do have two CMWs, who will service Rolex...but are not "authorized"...there is one fellow who did an excellent job buffing out a datejust for me a few years ago and when I asked him about the Explorer time, seemed hesitant to crack the case...good enough for me.. So, "ASC"...(what, no fanfare?)...it is

#21 ·
Well, you're wise to demur when it comes to letting a non-authorized watchmaker service your Rolex. However, there still are options that might be as reliable and less expensive than resorting to an RSC (and, not to alarm you, but a search might turn up some unpleasant experiences with a RSC by other members).

Examples are Archer Watches in Toronto, or Nesbit's Fine Watch Service in Seattle. Both are authorized to perform Rolex repairs. In addition, you could do a search and find recommendations of other local Rolex-authorized watchmakers, some closer to you.

Generally, a Rolex should be serviced about every five years. Sure, your watch may go twice that long before performance suffers. However, that might be penny-wise-but-pound-foolish, since additional wear likely will occur that will necessitate the replacement of many more parts, usually negating the savings from extending the service interval. A regularly serviced watch movement should have parts that last a very long time (with the exception of the mainspring, which should be replaced at each service). It is unnecessary friction that destroys many parts.

So, while your watch has been sent to a RSC for this repair, consider an independent service for the next overhaul five years hence.

#24 ·
Interesting.
I just got my Rolex restored by someone in Los Angeles who claimed to have a Rolex account allowing him to get parts.
It looks kosher to me and the cost was hefty too but I seriously hope I didn't make a mistake by doing this.... It was my late father's gift to me and it is incredibly precious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.