Rolex worth it's weight in gold?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Rolex worth it's weight in gold?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rolex worth it's weight in gold?

Hello all. This may have been asked before but I have not found it. Lets say I wanted to buy a solid gold GMT II Rolex ( I truly do) . I know it's 18k gold. What is the actually weight of all of the gold on the watch excluding the weight of the dial and movement? Since 24k gold is at such a high value it stands to be that a solid gold Rolex should be worth it's weight in gold. With that in mind how much is 18k gold vs/ 24k gold per ounce??
    Name:  G2.jpg
Views: 64815
Size:  109.8 KB
    You can't buy time but you can always buy a watch. Hidden Content

My ever changing collection...
    • CITIZEN-Calibre 2100 Eco-Drive
    • HAMILTON-Riva Chronograph
    • MOVADO-Original Bold Museum Chronograph Blue
    • PANERAI-Luminor Sub Chrono 1000M PAM187
    • ROLEX-Deepsea Sea-Dweller
    • SEIKO ANANTA Chronograph SRQ005
    • ROLEX GMT II Black/Blue
    • and way too many others in previous times.

Re: Rolex worth it's weight in gold?

Current price in London for 18k scrap gold is just under ฃ23 per gram, or ฃ653 per ounce, and the current spot price for pure, 24k gold is ฃ984 per ounce.

So how much does the case and bracelet of an 18k Sub weigh?

There is roughly 150g of 18k gold in a solid gold GMT, case and bracelet. At current gold prices, that works out to between $5,500 and $6,000. If you had bought one back in the mid-80s for $5,000, you could trash the movement and crystal and sell the watch for its gold (there are refiners in NYC I work with who will pay me 90% of the actual gold value, based on the spot price). But if you're buying a new watch (or even a used one), you will pay many times more than the scrap value of the gold.

That said, I do not recommend buying a watch in yellow gold. Most watches now are offered in rose gold, which has a higher bronze content, making it more resistant to scratching (solid yellow gold is a scratch magnet). But Rolex has gone even further: Their patented "Everose" gold is alloyed with platinum, making it even harder than traditional rose gold. Not every watch is offered in Everose (including the GMT II), but it is worth thinking about when spending that much for a solid gold watch (which, for the GMT II, is about 30 grand).

Rob
    Monsieur, Jfullm42 and Essthetix like this.
    Explorer 214270 • Datejust 16233 • Ω Aqua Terra 231.10.39.21.02.001
    Opiniones sunt foramina intestinorum ... omnis persona habet illud. -- Harry Callahan the Elder (200 BCE)

Quote Originally Posted by iinsic View Post
    There is roughly 150g of 18k gold in a solid gold GMT, case and bracelet. At current gold prices, that works out to between $5,500 and $6,000. If you had bought one back in the mid-80s for $5,000, you could trash the movement and crystal and sell the watch for its gold (there are refiners in NYC I work with who will pay me 90% of the actual gold value, based on the spot price). But if you're buying a new watch (or even a used one), you will pay many times more than the scrap value of the gold.That said, I do not recommend buying a watch in yellow gold. Most watches now are offered in rose gold, which has a higher bronze content, making it more resistant to scratching (solid yellow gold is a scratch magnet). But Rolex has gone even further: Their patented "Everose" gold is alloyed with platinum, making it even harder than traditional rose gold. Not every watch is offered in Everose (including the GMT II), but it is worth thinking about when spending that much for a solid gold watch (which, for the GMT II, is about 30 grand).Rob
    My heart skipped a beat or two when I read the first part of your post and thought about mine purchased new in the mid-80's for USD5000:I'm sure any owner of a new one purchased today would feel the same 25 years from now.I know it's just a mental exercise, but the idea of selling a solid gold Rolex for scrap just makes me cringe.
    iinsic, copperjohn, Rogi and 2 others like this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    My heart skipped a beat or two when I read the first part of your post and thought about mine purchased new in the mid-80's for USD5000:

I'm sure any owner of a new one purchased today would feel the same 25 years from now.I know it's just a mental exercise, but the idea of selling a solid gold Rolex for scrap just makes me cringe.
    I've owned a few GMT Masters, including the two-tone version of the solid gold watch you own. IMO, the Jubilee bracelet is the best combination for the GMT, especially in gold or two-tone. It is the most comfortable bracelet of any watch I have ever owned (and I am a diehard bracelet fan).

Rob

P.S. - Yes, the idea of selling a vintage Rolex for gold scrap is insanity. But during the oil crash a few decades back, there were lots of "instant millionaires" who had become "instant paupers" in Texas doing exactly that.
    Opiniones sunt foramina intestinorum ... omnis persona habet illud. -- Harry Callahan the Elder (200 BCE)

No I have no plans to buy a Rolex and scap it. I was just thinking that because gold is so high that in a worst case senerio that the only Rolex that would be sellable (in a depression etc.) would be a gold one. Thus wondering the value based on weight only.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronometer View Post
    No I have no plans to buy a Rolex and scap it. I was just thinking that because gold is so high that in a worst case senerio that the only Rolex that would be sellable (in a depression etc.) would be a gold one. Thus wondering the value based on weight only.
    I knew that was your reason for asking, which was why I was trying to give you a rough value on the the gold in a Rolex. In a "worst case scenario," however, the loss of 80% of one's investment would be secondary to the societal chaos that would precipitate such a desperate sale. One would more likely be beaten and robbed by an anarchic mob before they had the chance to carry out an arms-length sale. That would be, in my view, a true "worst case scenario." Wow ... what a depressing thread this has become.

Quote Originally Posted by iinsic View Post
    I knew that was your reason for asking, which was why I was trying to give you a rough value on the the gold in a Rolex. In a "worst case scenario," however, the loss of 80% of one's investment would be secondary to the societal chaos that would precipitate such a desperate sale. One would more likely be beaten and robbed by an anarchic mob before they had the chance to carry out an arms-length sale. That would be, in my view, a true "worst case scenario." Wow ... what a depressing thread this has become.
    Defiantly true! No doubt. Now on a better note. I've wanted the solid gold green dial GMT II since I saw the photos from Basel a few years ago. Now if only Rolex would quit raising the prices I might just be able to afford one (used) someday. I'm in at $15k used but looks more like $18-21k gets it now. Bummer.

18kt is 75% pure. 24kt is 99.99%. From a financial standpoint you're better off buying a SS and buying the gold separately. You will get a lot more for the $ and liquidation will be easier as well. If you're set on a gold Rolex then buy one but if you're going gold for financial reasons you are better off buying the watch and gold separately.

Quote Originally Posted by BKKJake View Post
    18kt is 75% pure. 24kt is 99.99%. From a financial standpoint you're better off buying a SS and buying the gold separately. You will get a lot more for the $ and liquidation will be easier as well. If you're set on a gold Rolex then buy one but if you're going gold for financial reasons you are better off buying the watch and gold separately.
    Very good advise!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information