Ambit3 Bluetooth chest strap
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ambit3 Bluetooth chest strap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ambit3 Bluetooth chest strap

I recently purchased a Nordictrack 2950 treadmill (to supplement my running) and it comes with a Polar bluetooth chest strap.

Since my Ambit2 uses Ant+, it won't work with this treadmill. I don't want to wear two belts, and I'm certainly not going to buy a Polar watch, but I would like to see my HR displayed on the console and not have to monitor it on my wrist (not really a big deal though).

Would the Ambit3 chest strap be compatible, since they both use bluetooth? If so, I don't how I would pair it on the treadmill. Anyway, it would motivate me to upgrade my watch. Thanks.

Re: Ambit3 Bluetooth chest strap

Suunto says that if it's BT LE it works with Ambit 3. In some occasions, some people discovered that not all BT LE sensors worked ok with Ambit 3. Your best bet would be to get an answer from someone who tried it or go to DCRainmaker's website and read his review. In the end he has some table with compatibility between BT PODs and Ambit 3.

LE: I checked myself DCRainmaker's site and Polar H7 seems to works ok with Ambit 3.

From Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by raducanmihai; April 13th, 2015 at 21:05.
    "I know my limits. But I just ignore them"

Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    I recently purchased a Nordictrack 2950 treadmill (to supplement my running) and it comes with a Polar bluetooth chest strap.

Since my Ambit2 uses Ant+, it won't work with this treadmill. I don't want to wear two belts, and I'm certainly not going to buy a Polar watch, but I would like to see my HR displayed on the console and not have to monitor it on my wrist (not really a big deal though).

Would the Ambit3 chest strap be compatible, since they both use bluetooth? If so, I don't how I would pair it on the treadmill. Anyway, it would motivate me to upgrade my watch. Thanks.
    I think you can only pair to ONE device at a time with the BT strap. For example, I cannot have my iPhone and Ambit3 pick up the HR signal from the strap, it is either or. However, you might be able to get away with the strap recording the activity while you "see" it on the treadmill. The strap can record ~2h of activity and sync to the Ambit or iPhone later.

Quote Originally Posted by martowl View Post
    I think you can only pair to ONE device at a time with the BT strap. For example, I cannot have my iPhone and Ambit3 pick up the HR signal from the strap, it is either or. However, you might be able to get away with the strap recording the activity while you "see" it on the treadmill. The strap can record ~2h of activity and sync to the Ambit or iPhone later.
    Oh I see. Well then that's not going to work because the whole point was to have both my Ambit and console show my HR (and to use Movescount and iFit to keep track of my workouts). So I'll either have to wear two belts (unlikely), or I'll just live with no HR data on the treadmill console. Normally on gym treadmills they just sniff out my dual comfort belt (the analog portion), so too bad they had to make it more complicated on this unit (which I knew beforehand but the other features more than make up for it).

Quote Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
    Oh I see. Well then that's not going to work because the whole point was to have both my Ambit and console show my HR (and to use Movescount and iFit to keep track of my workouts). So I'll either have to wear two belts (unlikely), or I'll just live with no HR data on the treadmill console. Normally on gym treadmills they just sniff out my dual comfort belt (the analog portion), so too bad they had to make it more complicated on this unit (which I knew beforehand but the other features more than make up for it).
    Perhaps the Polar belt will transmit to both? I do not know, a Mio might as well. You may want to ask on the DCRainmaker forum, lots of informed folks there>
    bruceames likes this.

Form the link you provided: " You see the H7 is a hybrid heart rate sensor, so although it supports low power Bluetooth 4.0 to make it compatible with all those mobile devices, it also supports Polar’s 5kHz WearLink standard, making it compatible with a plethora of Polar fitness computers as well as most gym equipment."

But you better digg some more before deciding.

From Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    bruceames likes this.
    "I know my limits. But I just ignore them"

What about using a Viiiiva HR monitor from 4iiii? I use it to provide heart rate to my Ambit 2S using Ant+ and simultaneously send heart rate to an app on my iPhone use Bluetooth. Of course I don't know if the Norditrack is compatible.
    bruceames likes this.

That Viiiiva HR strap might work. But since my treadmill doesn't have an option to pair in the menu, will it do it automatically? (assuming it's compatible). My Nordictrack is Bluetooth Smart compatible, and according to Rainmaker's review of the Viiiiva (from July 2013), it should work.

3)It doesn’t work with Polar devices: Polar has their own proprietary W.I.N.D. protocol for use on the majority of their modern devices, and this won’t work with that (nor the devices that use the analog or digital non-WIND straps). However, in the event Polar develops a Bluetooth Smart capable device (which they say they are going to do), then it would work just fine with that. More on that later.

In any case if I buy it from Amazon I can always return it if it doesn't work (although I might end up keeping it anyway if it's comfortable and chalk it up to spending a little more for a belt for experimentation's sake and besides it may come in handy later for other BT stuff I may own).
    Last edited by bruceames; April 14th, 2015 at 06:02.

i have an ambit2s, and i have just bought an scosche rhythm +. it is optical, and has both ANT+ and BTLE. i have been able to use it with my suunto and with my windows phone 8.1 (adidas micoach app), although i have not checked both at the same time. i am pretty sure i have read somewhere, that it can hold two simultaneous connections (one ANT and one BTLE).
    Rainmaker has reviewed it
    Scosche RHYTHM+ Dual ANT+/Bluetooth Smart Optical HR Band In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

For the suunto it is important that you get an unit with at least fw version 2.3, although version 2.4 is better (the latest one). fw cannot be updated by customer as of now (although according them, they are working on an iphone app which would do the trick).

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to order the Viiiiva HR belt and hope for the best. If it doesn't work then I'm sure it will come in handy since I can still use my Android phone to see my HR on the treadmill without looking at my wrist. But I'm optimistic it will work since the Nordictrack is Bluetooth Smart capable and should pair automatically. Will be nice to have as well if I buy an Ambit3 or Ambit4 (more likely) that has Bluetooth and I can pair Ant+ accessories with it (like my foot pod or even my T6C if I want to wear two watches).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information