Can the X6 still be connected?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Can the X6 still be connected?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can the X6 still be connected?

Hi all Suunto veterans,

If I was to track down and purchase an X6M, is it possible to run still Suunto Activity Manager (On W7) and download logs?
    From Activity Manager can you export back into Movescount?
    If the X6M didn't have the charging cable, does the T6 cable work for charging and data transfer?

Thanks

Re: Can the X6 still be connected?

Quote Originally Posted by pjc3 View Post
    Hi all Suunto veterans,

If I was to track down and purchase an X6M, is it possible to run still Suunto Activity Manager (On W7) and download logs?
    From Activity Manager can you export back into Movescount?
    If the X6M didn't have the charging cable, does the T6 cable work for charging and data transfer?

Thanks
    Unfortunately SAM does not work on Windows 7. It will work with Vista Basic or XP (or earlier versions). Windows 7 Professional version however will let you run in XP (virtual) mode. My old laptop has Vista Basic so that's how I can still use SAM for my X6HR.

Likewise the T6 cable will not work with the X6. If you need a cable, send me a PM as I have a few spares.

No way to directly export from SAM to MC either. However you can export the logs and later import them into Training Manager. I've done this for some of my logs already, but for some reason MC doesn't want to recognize them. But one should ultimately be able to export the logs from SAM to MC via STraM.

Joining logs from multiple SAM databases into one database
    Last edited by bruceames; September 14th, 2013 at 01:05.

Thanks for the reply. So to summarise your answer:

No
    No
    No

Might just stop my search.

Suunto has a lot of strong points, but software support isn't one of them. They should have at least created a script to allow people to move SAM logs into STraM.

My sudden interest in SAM was for the same reason: I bought a X6HRM (new) last month. But I probably won't be using it for anything other than a dress watch, especially since I have two other X6HR watches.

Hello pjc3,
    I do have one answer to your questions: SAM still works on win 7 (64 bit). But one needs an adapter serial port/USB. I loaded the baro-graph from today to proof that it still works: X6 still alive

Name:  suunto aktivity manager klein.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  235.6 KB

This is crazy. Mine has never worked in Windows 7, and all of sudden it does now? They must have just fixed it or something because I tried it a few weeks ago and nothing but a bunch of error messages that required a control+alt+delete to shut the program down. I haven't played around with it to see if it really works, and I only have version 2.0.1 installed, but it looks like it will. Great news! Now I just need to move the master database (mdb file) and I'm back in business. The version I was using with Vista is at work so this will be much more convenient.

Yeah, you do need the serial to usb adaptor but one has always needed that for years, even with XP. I don't recall not needing it actually. I remember buying the watch in 2003 and thinking why is it using obsolete transfer technology and that I have to buy a cable?
    Last edited by bruceames; September 14th, 2013 at 15:37.

The installation made no problems. I was very asthonished about my succesfull work (installed it april 2010)
    SAM can create *.sdf files. (Suunto Data File) but theese files you can´t import to MC (Fistbeat Athlete doesn´t work, too) Or maybe I´am too stupid?
    Another Idea:
    You can use "Strg+C" to copy a file´s data to excel. Maybe that works?
    Last edited by Sir McKey; September 14th, 2013 at 18:15.

Only version 2.0.1 works for me. I can't get 2.3.4 to work.

Hmm, I´am no expert. I just tried it with less hope and was lucky. Dont´t have an idea or tipps to get it work on your computer, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Sir McKey View Post
    Hmm, I´am no expert. I just tried it with less hope and was lucky. Dont´t have an idea or tipps to get it work on your computer, sorry
    Hey I'm just glad somebody got theirs to work. There seems to be some trick to remove a conflict and it's just a matter of finding it. It's really disappointing that Suunto abandoned the x6 users by not bothering to update SAM to make compatible with Windows 7. I still can use SAM on my laptop at work which has Vista Basic installed on it.

You can export SDF files from SAM, but unfortunately Suunto Training Manager (STraM) won't import it (even though it has sdf file extensions as an import option). You can however import it anyway into STraM by using the excel program "STE Parser" (found in the Yahoo! group "wriststop trainers" file section) and saving it as an ste file, which then STraM will import. From there you should theoretically be able to export to Movescount.

But using STE Parser is not a one step process. You have to copy/paste the data into the right fields, and I have created an Excel template for this. But once you get the hang of the routine it only takes about one minute to transfer a log.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information