Core VS Vector/Observer

Thread: Core VS Vector/Observer

-->
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Question Core VS Vector/Observer

Ok, Guys what are some of the pros and cons of each of them and what are your opinions given the recent problems with the cores vs the long standing reliability of the vector/observer.

I personally think the core was rushed to market even there were still buggs to be worked out? What are your opinions?

FYI: I own 2 vectors a yellow and a black one.:thanks
    Last edited by jbarn02; December 9th, 2007 at 05:05. Reason: Spelling.

Re: Core VS Vector/Observer

You know, I tend to agree. There have been a lot of problems with many of the Cores. I think that had they come out without incident... I would answer differently. If I were going to climb K2 tomorrow, Id take my Observer. I just dont feel 100% confident with my Core. Now, granted, mine has had NO problems and is even more accurate than my Observer... but... by hearing all these issues I have to say, my confidence is a little rocked with the core.

But I will say this again. The technology in the Core is OUTSTANDING and its the best Suunto has put out there. It breaks my heart to hear of so many issues...

I guess my statement wrapped it up... if I were hitting the field for a long journey tomorrow... I may take both... but my Observer would get worn.
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jbarn02 View Post
    Ok, Guys what are some of the pros and cons of each of them and what are your opinions given the recent problems with the cores vs the long standing reliability of the vector/observer.

I personally think the core was rushed to market even there were still buggs to be worked out? What are your opinions?

FYI: I own 2 vectors a yellow and a black one.:thanks
    Vector Pros:
    • Reliable / field tested
    • Easy to operate
    • Can view alt and baro without having to change "profiles" (just tap mode button once)
    • Can manually calibrate sensor
    • Reads both absolute and sea level pressure
    • Light
    • Accurate compass
    • Easy to calibrate compass
    • Price (~$150 now)
    Vector Cons
    • Plastic crystal, easy to scratch
    • Altitude always affected by pressure even when standing still
    • Min 5M altitude resolution
    • Seconds reading is a little funky but can be an endearing quality after awhile
    • Logbooks a little complicated to use
    Core Pros
    • Easy to operate
    • Looks great
    • alt stays constant when standing still, and is quite accurate
    • Nice baro trend graph
    • Easy to use logbooks
    • Mineral crystal glass
    • Light
    • Accurate compass
    • Sunrise / sunset feature
    • Excellent resolution for altitude (1M)
    • Storm alarm is great feature (but...see below)
    • Excellent / easy to use log books and alt diff measurement
    • Seconds display after any button is pushed (I agree with others, who needs this after 10 minutes?)
    Core Cons
    • Some have had battery issues
    • Some have had issues with losing button sound
    • Compass has to be "pushed" to calibrate
    • Can not manually calibrate pressure sensor
    • Only displays SEA level pressure, not absolute (what the pressure is at your location).
    • Storm alarm only works in baro mode, not in automatic mode (even when automatic mode has selected baro).
    • No bubble to let you know the watch is level for compass reading.
    • Many have reported bezels too hard to turn or too loose
    • I would like to have seen dedicated menus activated for each mode with center right button, vs. the same menu activated whatever mode you are in...while this is easier to understand, ultimately it leads to more button pushes to do simple things like change alt / baro profile, etc
    • When in alt mode, you lose the little 6 hour icon that illustrates baro trend.
    • I would rather have the above features than depth meter which is useless to me.
    • Backlight flickers when using compass (it does on the Vector also, just not as prominently).
    Last edited by paduncan; December 10th, 2007 at 21:42.

paduncans thoughts are right on.
    Last edited by Jeff_C; December 10th, 2007 at 00:13.

As far as the Vector, I think your observations are pretty fair and logical. I will add one con, the Vector suffers from barometric drift more than the Core or Observer does.
    Can't say that on my end. Once I "synced" up all of my watches, they all track almost exactly the same as far as SEA level pressure goes. You just have to know what you are doing on the vector as far as calibraing in SNR mode, and using SEA level pressure (third option in baro mode) instead of absolute. BTW: I forgot to mention that this is a con with the Vector...having to hit three button presses to view SEA level pressure.

With the Core info you have there, it seems you loose your objectivity... ON the surface it looks like there are more cons, but several of those are YOUR opinions. (I know I'm being nit-picky here). But here are my thoughts..

You have "easy to use" listed as a Core pro... but you then go on to give it poor marks in several areas that would make it... Well, not easy to use.
    I understand why you would see that. I tried to say that by "centralizing" the watch options menu, no matter where you are, the same menu pops up which makes the watch easy to learn. However, this same approach also makes for uncessary button pushes once you are familiar with the watch. I am sure there was a design trade-off: ease of use vs. button pushes.

You have a Pro listed in the Vector category as "accurate compass" but you dont list that as a pro for the Core. My core is dead on. And you dont have to "push" the calibration... simply rotate it around a few times and it will auto calibrate. When in doubt... rotate!
    I just double checked, and I did list that as a pro. Before hikes, I prefer to SEE how the watch is being calibrated, and when the watch is "happy." which happens on the Vector. On the Core, you never really know that it has been calibrated (little message that says "done") unless you manually push it in sleep mode. I suppose you can always check it against a plate compass for validation. By the way: How do you know the Core is level? Tiliting it a little bit looks like it has a pretty significant impact on the reading, which could be a problem for orienteering. The Vector bubble allows for consistent "reading angle" and eliminates that as an issue for possible error.

Your comment that "I would rather have the above features than the depth meter" is kind of weird... the above features may have nothing to do with the depth meter. I dont see the connection. But I do agree, that IMHO, the depth meter is a goofy function.
    The depth meter occupies ROM, menu complexity, adds uncessary cost etc. If we took away that feature, and added the ones like I listed, I would be happier.

Is the flickering back light really a con? Does it prevent the use of the device? Annoyance perhaps, but a CON? Certianly not as bad as the Solar Protreks that LOCK lol...
    Yes, it is a con. On the Vectors, this issue is barely noticeable. It looks like when this happens in the Core it is seriously draining the battery.

For someone looking at your list and saying... Wow, thats a lot of cons, I think its misleading because you have the "quirks" listed separately... As if to add more cons. Yes, some have reported some "QC" issues, but others have not.
    And others have...battery issues, button sound issues, baro display issues, and so forth.

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk... but I just want people to realize that if they just glanced at the NUMBER of pros and cons... some of those (IMHO) should be carefully considered.
    Naturally, all opinions on the net should be weighed with others. The poster asked for ours, and I took the time to clearly list out what I feel are pros and cons for both watches, (my opinion).
    Last edited by paduncan; December 10th, 2007 at 21:43.

You are right...

It may take 8 button-presses to change the Profile, but if you know your CORE, with the clear text-based menu system that also only takes about 8 seconds or less to do!

Ive done it that fast with thick cycling gloves on.

I dunno...I have also had an X-Lander for a limited amount of time, and I found myself re-reading the manual a lot more than I did with the CORE.

I more read the CORE manual to find out more about what it did, as opposed to the X-Lander where I just couldnt remember which button to press to do what.

I like the menu approach. I got used to it with my T3. To me, its more intuitive than trying to remember button combos...

But what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    I like the menu approach. I got used to it with my T3. To me, its more intuitive than trying to remember button combos...

But what do I know?
    I like the menu approach too. On my T6 (and probably the T3) the menus are different based on what mode you are currently in, so you don't have to scroll through every option on the watch to say, change from baro to alti mode. That is what I believe is easiest to use and most efficient.

For instance, on the T6 when you want to change from alti or baro mode, it is like 3 or 4 button pushes. Simpler, quicker.

The Core however, has the same menu no matter where you are. Easy, intuitive (no surprises) but not as efficient.
    Last edited by paduncan; December 10th, 2007 at 00:55.

It may take 8 button-presses to change the Profile, but if you know your CORE, with the clear text-based menu system that also only takes about 8 seconds or less to do!
    Vs. 1 second on the Vector going from alti to baro (sorry couldn't resist)

Oh, and being able to always see the little baro trend graph on the Vector (only visible when you are in baro mode on Core).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information