Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Garmin Fenix VS Suunto Ambit2

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Re: Garmin Fenix VS Suunto Ambit2

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSS View Post
    OK. so work mate forgot to bring in the Fenix so I ran during my lunch break to local sport store and actually got to look at a Fenix and Ambit2 side by side.

Initial thoughts.

Ambit2 not as nice looking as the Original Ambit
    Garmin Fenix, actually not too bad looking at all.

Ambit2 screen display, as the Ambit1 is great.
    Fenix, good, although with the three views on the one screen looks a bit cramped

I won't go into features too much as both have the pro's and cons. Eg love the app-ability of the Ambit, love the features built into the Fenix

Like the idea on the Fenix and can change all setting s on the watch (not sure if this can be done on the web portal?)
    Wish the Ambit2 could do this, eg saving a POI, renaming it on the watch, not haing to upload it first to rename it. A pro for this is the ease of doing it on the web portal.

Menu system, I really like the Ambit2 (same as Ambit) menu structure, not sure what the complaints about, when I 1st got the Ambit1 I never looked at the ,menu and thought how well laid out the menu was.
    With the Fenix, although a brief look also has a well laid out menu system, could not say it was better or worse.

One thing with the fenix I did not like was the "beep" when going through menus, personal taste and only minor.

I checked out the running metrics, and must say the Ambit looks to have a lot more in this aspect and I've mentioned before love the Ambits PTE and RT is there something like this on the Fenix?
    Love the Fenixs Track Back.

So all up to me for my needs much of a muchness and really come down to how they are presented in their webportals, Movescount and Garminconnect. I haven't done enough comparisons in this respect but do really like MovesCount at the moment.
    Someone got a link to some runs / Mountain bikes rides I can look at in Garmin Connect?
    What version of the Ambit2 did you have a look at?

I think the Ambit1 black looks nicer then the Ambit2 Black so is it those you have compared the looks of? But if you say you think the new Sapphire version looks less nice than I am very surprised since it has a very exclusive look to it!

The Sapphire version is the only version amongst the Ambit2 that I think has equally or better look then the Ambit1 black.

Quote Originally Posted by paduncan View Post
    Definitely not you. Hoping you would get my humor. In a weird mood lately. :^)
    The humor was great but....I have been chastised by my wife for not having one...a sense of humor that is...I think I have one but no one else gets MY jokes:)

HI There.
    Yes spot on, the black version, not interested forking out extra $100 on the sapphire, I had no issues with the Black Ambit1. I agree with you on the regards to the looks of the Sapphire version. I'm after all black due to less noticeable, which is handy as I'm an Army Reservist and use it when on field exercises.

I did some more checking, and think I'm swaying to the Ambit, only because of Movescount, I'm really impressed with it's metrics of data available, in comparison to the Garmin Connect. I think Fenix is a better watch, but to sway me over, it would need better running (and for me Mountain biking information) and have the Garmin Connect site improved to the standard of moves count.
    Last edited by SavageSS; May 9th, 2013 at 00:16.

Quote Originally Posted by martowl View Post
    I have been chastised by my wife
    With almost 50 hours of moves in the last 30 days, you still have one?
    martowl likes this.

Remember, you looked at a fayory generic set-up. Everything on the Fenix is adjustable. That includes beeps, menu order, number of screens, amount of info displayed on screens, even what which buttons do what, etc.... You can custom adjust it to your own taste and visual appeal.
    Last edited by Mystro; May 9th, 2013 at 03:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
    Remember, you looked at a fayory generic set-up. Everything on the Fenix is adjustable. That includes beeps, menu order, number of screens, amount of info displayed on screens, even what which buttons do what, etc.... You can custom adjust it to your own taste and visual appeal.
    Hi Mystro.
    Since you have had both Ambit1 and Fenix can you answer these Questions for me!?
    Or correct them if my assumptions / accertations are incorrect.

* Is there a current list of exercises available on the Fenix, In particular is there an equivalent for Weight Training on the Ambit1 and Ambit2, can you configure / customize an exercise for MTB biking
    * Is there swim metrics for indoor and outdoor swimming, caparison to the Ambit2
    * For indoor training, when using the Ambit on a treadmill for example, is was pretty close to giving the distance I would have traveled (guessing it used fusespeed for this, does or can the Fenix do the same, this was a surprise feature that I thought was great of the Ambit.
    * With the Fenix if you were to go into a black spot (tunnel for example) does it estimate what you are doing like the Ambit, or has a blank section?
    * Movescount allows you to interact with the Map and now has map colour co-ordinated to that of the metrix you are viewing, does Garmin Connect do this
    * I'm still not sure if Training Effect is on the Fenix and does it have option to put in recovery time after an exercise.

These are probably the most current features I use (or would use regarding the swimming if I bought the Ambit2)

Thanks Scott

Quote Originally Posted by bowesmana View Post
    With almost 50 hours of moves in the last 30 days, you still have one?
    When you have been married as long as I have the activation energy for change is very High:)...so I have some flexibility in my hobbies.
    bowesmana likes this.

Is there a current list of exercises available on the Fenix, In particular is there an equivalent for Weight Training on the Ambit1 and Ambit2, can you configure / customize an exercise for MTB biking
    You can create custom profiles for whatever activity you want. In doing so, you can create custom data pages with up to three fields per page, much like the Ambit can do. However, unlike the Ambit, you only have three choices when it comes to the activity type as it relates to Garmin Connect: running, cycling, and other (just like the 910xt).

Is there swim metrics for indoor and outdoor swimming, caparison to the Ambit2
    No. The Fenix is not designed for swimming. The 910xt or the Swim would be the better choices for this if you want to stick with Garmin products.

For indoor training, when using the Ambit on a treadmill for example, is was pretty close to giving the distance I would have traveled (guessing it used fusespeed for this, does or can the Fenix do the same, this was a surprise feature that I thought was great of the Ambit.
    Neither the Ambit nor the Fenix can determine distance when indoor on a treadmill without a footpod. If you use a footpod, however, both can determine distance, pace, cadence, etc. If you did get distance on a treadmill when not using a footpod on the Ambit, then you also had GPS enabled at which point FusedSpeed came into play. However, GPS indoors doesn't make a lot of sense, even taking FusedSpeed into account. The Fenix, on a side note, does not have a FusedSpeed equivalent.

With the Fenix if you were to go into a black spot (tunnel for example) does it estimate what you are doing like the Ambit, or has a blank section?
    The Fenix will use the footpod to supplement GPS data. The Ambit will use the footpod to replace GPS data. In either case, and within reason, both units will estimate the activity when under limited cover.

Movescount allows you to interact with the Map and now has map colour co-ordinated to that of the metrix you are viewing, does Garmin Connect do this
    No. However, Garmin Connect does have decent graphing capabilities, although not on the same level as Movescount. Garmin Connect isn't bad, per se, but Movescount is far more detailed in the data it shows. Like Movescount, however, Garmin Connect can show second-by-second relationships between data and the map track.

I'm still not sure if Training Effect is on the Fenix and does it have option to put in recovery time after an exercise.
    No training effect, and no recovery time. The Fenix is not a sports/training watch, per se. It is an outdoor watch, which is why it is listed in the "On the Trail" category and not in the "Into Sports" category on Garmin's web site. The Ambit is more geared towards training while the Fenix is more geared towards outdoor navigation. Similarly, the 910xt, 610, etc. would be better than the Fenix for sports if you want to stick with Garmin products. If you want a wrist-worn navigation device, however, the Fenix is at the top of the list (or near, if you also consider the Foretrex).
    Last edited by ifarlow; May 9th, 2013 at 12:48.
    Ian

Excellent thanks for that information.

I can't be sure if I had GPS enable while on the treadmill, but I did on a 5km run (according to the treadmill) come in at 4.98Km on the Ambit.

Looks like for me the Ambit2 is probably better suited to my needs, although having better trekking would have been great on the Ambit2, sort of the best of both Ambit2 and Fenix features.

Oh, I did find out after playing on Garmin Connect that if you click on the option "play" or analyse you can get close to the same ability of the interactive maps of Movescount.

If I had my way I would get both, alas a comprimise I have to make

Looks like for me the Ambit2 is probably better suited to my needs, although having better trekking would have been great on the Ambit2, sort of the best of both Ambit2 and Fenix features.
    Yeah, I too wish for one device that merges both. I'm going to move into an Ambit 2S and be done with it (at least until the next big thing comes along).

Oh, I did find out after playing on Garmin Connect that if you click on the option "play" or analyse you can get close to the same ability of the interactive maps of Movescount.
    Yep. Close and definitely not bad.
    Ian

Thread Information