WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Garmin Fenix VS Suunto Ambit2

91K views 122 replies 33 participants last post by  gpglns 
#1 ·
What os the advantages of the Fenix on the new Ambit2?
What do you think?

#2 · (Edited)
Its no contest. I have owned the Ambit for a year now and know it inside and out. the Fenix trounces the new Suunto on every level. The Fenix has unlimited alarms, count down timer, altitude and time is GPS synch, base maps. Even as a ABC watch the Fenix outshines the Ambit. The barometer graph is better to predict weather and shows minor changes more clearly over a 48hour time, temp graph, altimeter graph, sunrise/sunset/moon phase, best hunting/fishing forecast, multiple time displays. The Fenix doesn't need any proprietary software to work. It is recognized as a storage device by your computer like any handheld GPS devise. This means you can use any 3rd party mapping programs like Google Earth. Bread crumb back tracking at any time. Best of all the Fenix can be used as a independent piece of gear in the field and you can change anything you want on the devise without the need for a computer. The entire layout of the Fenix is totally adjustable. You can have as little or as many features as you like. Even the menu order can be changed. GPS synch time is faster than the Ambit and the GPS tracking is much more accurate when transferring it to a map like Google Earth. Its also Bluetooth equipped. I just loaded my days info to my ipad a few minutes ago wirelessly and it only took a few seconds. You can use any 26mm strap, Vibration alarm, with or without tone, flash light feature, programmable hot buttons,etc.... The Fenix has so many options I couldn't begin to name them all. I am professionally field testing the Fenix and another GPS watch. Coming from the Ambit, the Fenix is in another league. After one day with the Fenix, i knew it was game, set , match Garmin Fenix. You could remove 1/3 of he features from the Fenix and after reading the specs of the new Ambit2, it appears the new Suunto Ambit2 will never catch up to the Garmin Fenix. In the do-it-all GPS watch category, Garmin's GPS prowess is very clear. Its probably a good idea the Suunto is now pushing its target demographic into the trainer watch niche. I have yet to test Garmin's HRM or external temp sensor so who knows, it might be a killer trainer watch as well????

Garmin could/might put a storm alarm on the Fenix just for spite.
Learning Student Job Room White-collar worker

#3 ·
Its no contest. I have owned the Ambit for a year now and know it inside and out. the Fenix trounces the new Suunto on every level. The Fenix has unlimited alarms, count down timer, altitude and time is GPS synch, base maps. Even as a ABC watch the Fenix outshines the Ambit. The barometer graph is better to predict weather and shows minor changes more clearly over a 48hour time, temp graph, altimeter graph, sunrise/sunset/moon phase, best hunting/fishing forecast, multiple time displays. ..... After one day with the Fenix, i knew it was game, set , match Garmin Fenix. You could remove 1/3 of he features from the Fenix and after reading the specs of the new Ambit2, it appears the new Suunto Ambit2 will never catch up to the Garmin Fenix. In the GPS watch category, Garmin's GPS prowess is very clear.
Agreed 100% I owned both the Ambit and the Fenix when it first appeared on the market. Initially I have my gripe over the accuracy of the Garmin after GPS synch -It loses about 5 secs... still does :-( If Garmin were to fix this . It will be the perfect watch...

#6 ·
I think the views a very subjective. I bought an Ambit after using my friends Fenix. It has since he has had the Fenix issues with GPS sync, We would both go for a run at lunch during work, Ambit would get GPS sync in less than 30 seconds, his Fenix.... Well we'd give up after 5 mins.. And I'm not exaggerating, apparently and this is from his word of mouth, it's an issue and someone wrote a custom update which helped for a few weeks, but has got the issue yet again. Plus I need a watch that has MGRS and Mils for the compass, the Ambit has this. I'm not a one brand person, just get what does it for me. Also if you look there's a few complaints about the Fenix not able to connect with Garmin Connect mobile app or Garmin connect uploads in BaseCamp App. I do wish the Ambit2 implements Breadcrumb tracking, that is one thing I do believe the Fenix is a lot better at. Oh Also prefer the screen on the Ambit, I think it is of a higher resolution. Again, it's all depends what you want out of it

#7 ·
It depends on your use. If you want to swim and get stroke info etc then the fenix might have no advantage. I am trying to figure this out myself based on what I need in the device. Some things to me are cool and nice to have but I won't use such as the power meters on the ambit2 etc or fishing charts/times etc on the garmin.

#10 ·
To me, comparing Fenix and Ambit / Ambit2 is like comparing apples and oranges. Both fruit, uhm, GPS-equipped, but both oriented very differently.
Thus, as cue003 also said, it depends on the use.

Fenix: outdoors. Hikers, hunters, etc. Obviously a GPS device shrunk to fit on a wrist.
Ambit / Ambit2 (and finally, the 2S makes it obvious): ultrarunners, outdoors athletes, etc. A training GPS device moving towards being a smartwatch.

G
#11 ·
Fenix Obviously a GPS device shrunk to fit on a wrist. Ambit / Ambit2 (and finally, the 2S makes it obvious): ultrarunners, outdoors athletes, etc. A training GPS device moving towards being a smartwatch.
grrr, so now I've to sell my ambit1 and buy a fenix just because I do not belong to superman category?
for saving myself, I would add also:

i) ambit for enthusiast outdoor dudes who plays very well w/o bells and whistles

:D

#17 ·
Small map with low details!
I vote for Ambit a least Ambit was made more better. I mean yhe quality and yhe look. I really love my Ambit1. It completely shows how much I paid for it.
I prefer to have my garmin 62s gps handset with my Ambit instead of Fenix.
I will have faith in my Ambit1 if suunto still have fw upgtade.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Ridgeback63
#18 · (Edited)
What do you mean low details??? All i do is leave the Fenix on the map screen for navigation. Everything you need is on the map screen for navigation. You can install any base map you want including a topo. There are lots of 3rd party free maps you can use. Once again this is why Garmin will always develop faster. You can pan and zoom at many distance levels. I am using 500square mile base map of central Pa. That has every road, trail, log road and stream on it as well as all the typical town and city streets. The Fenix screen is clearer and brighter that can be viewed from a sharper angle. The Ambit has a gray filter over the screen and the viewing angle has to be more strait on than the Fenix. The Fenix screen color looks more black on white in color and is very crisp. The Ambit has a filter that makes the text more muted in a gray color.
Many that own both can confirm this.

Small map with low details.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

#23 ·
Maybe the Ambit sales in 2012 were sooo good, it justified the hiring of this new System Architect so that they can parallelize product development, and keep everyone happy.

Hmm, maybe that last part is a stretch.

Probably just as likely the last system architect spent all his free time reading this forum, saw how unhappy some people were, and committed hara-kiri. Don't underestimate the sensitivity of the elite Finnish technologists.

#24 · (Edited)
Dear Mystro, aren't you taking this little too personally? If you could calm down you could be taken (more) seriously. To me, it seems that every new watch you own is the best watch in the world (I am referring way back to the reviews you made about Observer and X6M). And now when you have the Garmin Fenix, it is the best watch in the world. You can of course feel this way, but please understand, that other people have other opinions too. What may be best to you, it's not best for some other people.

If Ambit1 is so bad you say it is, then it was necessary to develop the Ambit2. And you can't just compare the feature list of Fenix and Ambit2, those features have to work too.

Everyone who are searching for professional reviews, please read DcRainmakers's website. Those reviews can help you making the right chose, what ever it will be, I do not care what watch you choose.

Garmin Fenix In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

Suunto Ambit 2 and 2S In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

#25 · (Edited)
Dude, I am perfectly calm. I never said the Ambit was a bad product. I said the Ambit was abandoned too early and never developed to its full potential. As for my reviews in the past,...You do know those reviews of other Suunto products were not done at the same time or even same year for that matter? I worked with Suunto engineers on some internal bugs on the X6m so I am not unfamiliar how Suunto use to work with their current products.. I own ALOT of watches from many company, some I paid for and some I am reviewing. That does give me a bit of a advantage when I can compare features and performance back to back. Currently, the Fenix IS the best full featured GPS watch even if you go on specs alone. I own my own successful company for many years and have a engineering degree so its not like I just walked off the playground and formed a uneducated opinion. I really could care less if anyone wants to take me (MORE) seriously or not. I dont have a credibility problem on this or any other forum. I tell it as it is or at least from my point of view which must be of some value, experience and credibility since other companies continue to search me out to review their products as a side gig.|>
I have turned down free watches to review and chose to send them back to the manufacturer when I found a internal bug that couldnt be fixed so dont think I gush over every product.

Dear Mystro, aren't you taking this little too personally? If you could calm down you could be taken (more) seriously. To me, it seems that every new watch you own is the best watch in the world (I am referring way back to the reviews you made about Observer and X6M). And now when you have the Garmin Fenix, it is the best watch in the world. You can of course feel this way, but please understand, that other people have other opinions too. What may be best to you, it's not best for some other people.

If Ambit1 is so bad you say it is, then it was necessary to develop the Ambit2. And you can't just compare the feature list of Fenix and Ambit2, those features have to work too.

#29 ·
Even if the Fenix is not perfect and need some improvement, it is far away better than the Ambit2. It has more, more functions and is not just a sport watch but a hike, sport, hunt,... watch. With the Ambit 2 , you need a computer to customize it and you cannot zoom more than half a mile on your track, so not for me.

As mentionned by Submersible, Fenix should fix some bugs, like GPS sync time (even if it seems it is hardware limitation because of crystal PPM).

#30 ·
I'm still undecided on both watches after selling my Ambit1.
I like the build quality and looks of the Ambit over the one, and also the screen resolution. Dammit!

Can the Fenix be programed via their website, I acutally like this feature on the Ambit, rather be able to point and click rather than try to customise soley on a watch.

The thing that I really like of the Fenix is the Bread Crumbs, and navigation features over the Ambit. Very cool.

One other doubt with the Fenix is the fogging issue I've been reading about https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?34268-fenix-where-are-we/page5

Still undecided at this stage.

#31 ·
Even if the Ambit2 is not perfect and needs some improvements, it is far away better than the fenix. It doesn't have a load I feature I would never use even when I do sport, hike, climb,.... The Ambit2 is very customizable and because yo can do it on a 27" computer screen it is really easy. The route overview is great and the 500m zoom means you can see you are on the right track. Of course I always have a full sized topo map when I go out in areas I am not familiar with which I find much easier to read than a 30mm 70x70 pixel topo map. It is definitely for me.

Oh, did I mention the Ambit2 actually looks nice?

And I think I have mentioned elsewhere you should have a good read about what each watch does and get the best tool for you for the job

#34 · (Edited)
No problem. My biggest complaint with the Fenix is the manual is way too brief. I would bet you will be finding new features and menus long after you master all the basic functions. Even a techie guy like myself is still finding some very clever options and I don't believe there is a master list of features. Perhaps they keep the manual streamlined so when new features were added they didn't have to reprint manuals. Either way the Fenix can be a fun puzzle to explore.

#36 ·
After few more weeks with both watches and some adjustments to the comparison..

I would like to point out that there is a huge difference in warranty service. With suunto you send in the watch they keep it for testing and if you're lucky you get the repaired one back after a week or two. Garmin sends out new watch the day you register RMA (with CC warranty)

Ambit/Ambit2:

+ Nice looking running/sports watch with very basic GPS functionality.
+ Great GPS fix times.
+ Movescount it is absolutely beautiful and usable (miss this the most in Fenix)
+ Inverted display choice is great
+ Altimeter is accurate

- GPS is limited to only tracking and is not utilize in any other way like timezones, sunrise/set, elevation, destination alarm, many many other...
- As a running/sports watch it is grossly overprice as you get all or more functionality in any 200-300$ GPS running watch out there.
- As a EDC watch it is inferior to any 50-100$ Casio/Timex
- One alarm without choice of weekdays/weekend so no sleeping late during weekend. Makes it useless.
- No countdown timer
- No back autobacklight to come on when watch is tilted (and it has accelerometer!!!)
- No hourly alarm
- Strap feels nice but it very uncomfortable. Can't use on jacket/gloves. Can't really change to anything not provided by suunto and not like you have many choices from them.
- If they add import option and just few minor corrections to route setting in movescount it is absolutely beautiful (miss this the most in Fenix)
- As nice as visual part of the watch is the design form the practical point is poor at best.
- Buttons feel nice but easily mispressed requiring locking the device or at the end of the day you find out you were paused the whole trip/workout
- There is no click in buttons so operating in gloves is not as responsive.
- The antenna on inside of the wrist and the shape of Ambit makes it sit at an angle facing away from you. Makes you have to twist your wrist just a little more to see clearly combines with . In winter conditions, gloves etc. it is very annoying.
- As nice
as the screen is it is prone to ghosting and fading. In cold/hot conditions it gets much worse, almost unreadable.

- Material used in bezel is cheap soft metal (alu?) and is scratched in no time. No wonder they are changing that in Ambit2
- The navigating through menus is a maze. For a watch that has no setting in the watch (you do everything on movescount) it a mess. Takes 6 click to initiate GPS and start recording.
- Almost all settings can be adjusted only from online account. So if you're on a trip with internet..
- The speed tracking and elevation is ok in general but with weird spikes/fluctuations for no reason. With no possibility of correcting data in movescount the average results are useless.
- No readable battery indicator
- ANT HR strap is proprietary and does not work with other devices

Fenix:

+ Is actually "GPS for explorers" with proper utilization of GPS (could always add more)
+ Maps in mapview

+ Breadcrumbs
+ Point and go (Sight 'n go)
+ No need for PC or internet to setup everything
+ Many many useful features
+ Normal strap that can be exchanged to any kind you like, need, prefer..
+ Nice large clickable buttons that you know you pressed (even with gloves) and almost no need for locking
+ GPS calibrated elevation and vertical speed
+ % batt indicator

- Orange button
- Screen is weird and screen real estate is wasted. Could have inverted option like Ambit (but much better in terms of readability and no ghosting, fading)
- No hourly alarm
- The pc software is a mess. Basecamp, Mapinstall, Mapsourse, Garmin Communicator Plugin, pluging, updater garminconnect, something else, and few other...
- No Android app (iphone user would go with Ambit so this choice of mobile operating system is very strange)
- No profile editor or setup outside the unit. Would be nice to be able to setup on PC and transfer to the unit like with Ambit. (Still better of two evils)

#44 ·
Oh for goodness sakes dezz. The OP is interested in the AMBIT2. CORRECTIONS/EXPERIENCE WITH AMBIT2 IN CAPITALS (not shouting ...just for differentiation)
Ambit/Ambit2:

- GPS is limited to only tracking and is not utilize in any other way like timezones, sunrise/set, elevation, destination alarm, many many other... HAS DESTINATION ALARM, SUNRISE/SET, ELEVATION
- As a running/sports watch it is grossly overprice as you get all or more functionality in any 200-300$ GPS running watch out there. IT IS NOT A RUNNING WATCH.
- As a EDC watch it is inferior to any 50-100$ Casio/Timex
- One alarm without choice of weekdays/weekend so no sleeping late during weekend. Makes it useless. MY ALARM WAKES ME UP EVERY TIME I SET IT. SEEMS PRETTY USEFUL TO ME.
- No countdown timer
HAS COUNTDOWN TIMER
- No back autobacklight to come on when watch is tilted (and it has accelerometer!!!)
- No hourly alarm
- Strap feels nice but it very uncomfortable. Can't use on jacket/gloves. Can't really change to anything not provided by suunto and not like you have many choices from them. AMBIT2 HAS LOWER PROFILE STRAP AND IS VERY COMFORTABLE. ALL AMBIT STRAPS ARE INTERCHANGABLE
- If they add import option and just few minor corrections to route setting in movescount it is absolutely beautiful (miss this the most in Fenix)
- As nice as visual part of the watch is the design form the practical point is poor at best.
- Buttons feel nice but easily mispressed requiring locking the device or at the end of the day you find out you were paused the whole trip/workout NOT AN ISSUE FOR ME
- There is no click in buttons so operating in gloves is not as responsive. NOT AN ISSUE FOR ME
- The antenna on inside of the wrist and the shape of Ambit makes it sit at an angle facing away from you. Makes you have to twist your wrist just a little more to see clearly combines with . In winter conditions, gloves etc. it is very annoying. AMBIT2 SITS LOWER AND DOES NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM ON MY WRIST
- As nice
as the screen is it is prone to ghosting and fading. In cold/hot conditions it gets much worse, almost unreadable.
I HAVE ONLY HAD IT DOWN TO -10 CELCIUS BUT STILL CLEARLY READABLE. REFRESHING OF SCREENS DOES LAG AT LOW TEMPS. I USE AMBIT2 MOSTLY AT AMBIENT TEMPS OF 30-35 CELCIUS....ALWAYS READABLE.
- Material used in bezel is cheap soft metal (alu?) and is scratched in no time. No wonder they are changing that in Ambit2 AS YOU SAID, STEEL AVAILABLE ON AMBIT2
- The navigating through menus is a maze. For a watch that has no setting in the watch (you do everything on movescount) it a mess. Takes 6 click to initiate GPS and start recording. I COUNT 4. MENU NAVIGATION HAS NOT BEEN A PROBLEM FOR ME
- Almost all settings can be adjusted only from online account. So if you're on a trip with internet.. MOST SETTINGS ARE ABLE TO BE CHANGED IN WATCH. EXERCISE CUSTOMISATION IS DONE IN MOVESCOUNT
- The speed tracking and elevation is ok in general but with weird spikes/fluctuations for no reason. With no possibility of correcting data in movescount the average results are useless.
- No readable battery indicator BATTERY % VERY READALE
- ANT HR strap is proprietary and does not work with other devices. MAYBE, BUT IF YOU HAVE THE AMBIT IT DOESN'T NEED TO WORK WITH OTHER DEVICES. BETTER STILL DON'T BUY YHE HR VERSION AND USE YOUR EXISTING ANT+ BELT

#37 ·
Still deciding, hopefully workmate brings his Fenix to work so I can test it out.

Does the Fenix give you a recovery time and Peak Training Effect equivalant? I really like these two features on the Ambit.?
Oh Mystro, does the lower res of the Fenix after having an Ambit seem abvious, by the looks of things, the actual area if where it displays it's information looks quite small.

#38 ·
(At least) basic training features and metrics such as PTE or Recovery Time are aspects Dezz is systematically very silent about as these are features of the Ambit which the Fenix does not have. It is up to you to decide which "pack of features" best goes together with your needs b-).

#48 ·
Interesting reading.
Although I must say seeing PTE on the watch for me is useful, I don't always / everyday sync the Ambit to a computer. It's great to see PTE and recovery time straight after an exercise.

I hadn't notice any problems with the screen on the Ambit, but not important as I'm like the OP interested in comparing the A2 with the Fenix.
Me personally had no issues wearing the Ambit or problem with the HR strap, you can have Ant or Ant +.

I'll check the Fenix tomorrow and make my mind up, I'm really interested in the screen now, I don't like the chances of the Ambit2 getting the breadcrumb or tracking features of the Fenix, this would be great, but Suunto aren't saying anything with any possible upgrades for the Ambit2.

#50 ·
If you have time and energy to check info after workout.. you're doing workout out wrong :) I joke I joke..

Screen is new in A2? And they fail to mention it?

For what it is worth everyone around keeps repeating that A2 is going the triathlon direction so breadcrumb implementation will wait till Ambit3 this Xmas.

I can start this with four 1. Start-stop, 2. exercise, 3. running, 4. start
You can change recording sample rate in middle of the exercise if you want. Long press back lap and change to a sport mode that has different hr limits/ recording rate.

edit. You could also make an app that beeps / puts backlight on every hour for hourly alarm.
That is great they did that for A2

#51 ·
Amazing how things can change:

Ambit screen used to own the Fenix - now the Fenix screen is better
Customizability of Ambit is no longer "cool" - Fenix has all you need (even though many have reported serious build quality, software, GPS issues)
PTE - a key metric for fitness started by Suunto / FirstBeat over a decade ago is no longer needed - until you get back to the computer (wait - I thought it was stupid to have to do everything at the computer?)
Slightly protruding antennae from Ambit is now a problem - even though several reports say that the Ambit has a faster lock on GPS signals.

Let the neurosis continue.

Still waiting for the statement from Suunto that they guaranteed unlimited firmware updates for the life of the watch, and that they guaranteed that they wouldn't come out with a new Ambit until a time that was to our mutual liking.

I am just curious - Fenix has been out for some time now - why did it take some of our most notorious posters and product reviewers until NOW to realize the apparent superiority of the Fenix? I mean if it is better, it is better, period, without regards to whether or not Suunto chooses to release a newer Ambit.

#64 ·
OK. so work mate forgot to bring in the Fenix so I ran during my lunch break to local sport store and actually got to look at a Fenix and Ambit2 side by side.

Initial thoughts.

Ambit2 not as nice looking as the Original Ambit
Garmin Fenix, actually not too bad looking at all.

Ambit2 screen display, as the Ambit1 is great.
Fenix, good, although with the three views on the one screen looks a bit cramped

I won't go into features too much as both have the pro's and cons. Eg love the app-ability of the Ambit, love the features built into the Fenix

Like the idea on the Fenix and can change all setting s on the watch (not sure if this can be done on the web portal?)
Wish the Ambit2 could do this, eg saving a POI, renaming it on the watch, not haing to upload it first to rename it. A pro for this is the ease of doing it on the web portal.

Menu system, I really like the Ambit2 (same as Ambit) menu structure, not sure what the complaints about, when I 1st got the Ambit1 I never looked at the ,menu and thought how well laid out the menu was.
With the Fenix, although a brief look also has a well laid out menu system, could not say it was better or worse.

One thing with the fenix I did not like was the "beep" when going through menus, personal taste and only minor.

I checked out the running metrics, and must say the Ambit looks to have a lot more in this aspect and I've mentioned before love the Ambits PTE and RT is there something like this on the Fenix?
Love the Fenixs Track Back.

So all up to me for my needs much of a muchness and really come down to how they are presented in their webportals, Movescount and Garminconnect. I haven't done enough comparisons in this respect but do really like MovesCount at the moment.
Someone got a link to some runs / Mountain bikes rides I can look at in Garmin Connect?

#65 ·
OK. so work mate forgot to bring in the Fenix so I ran during my lunch break to local sport store and actually got to look at a Fenix and Ambit2 side by side.

In
You should go for Ambit.
The great feature that is not mentioned in any manual is that after every run guys (love suunto gang) from WUS give you a full body sensual massage. You won't get that with Fenix

#73 · (Edited)
HI There.
Yes spot on, the black version, not interested forking out extra $100 on the sapphire, I had no issues with the Black Ambit1. I agree with you on the regards to the looks of the Sapphire version. I'm after all black due to less noticeable, which is handy as I'm an Army Reservist and use it when on field exercises.

I did some more checking, and think I'm swaying to the Ambit, only because of Movescount, I'm really impressed with it's metrics of data available, in comparison to the Garmin Connect. I think Fenix is a better watch, but to sway me over, it would need better running (and for me Mountain biking information) and have the Garmin Connect site improved to the standard of moves count.

#76 ·
Hi Mystro.
Since you have had both Ambit1 and Fenix can you answer these Questions for me!?
Or correct them if my assumptions / accertations are incorrect.

* Is there a current list of exercises available on the Fenix, In particular is there an equivalent for Weight Training on the Ambit1 and Ambit2, can you configure / customize an exercise for MTB biking
* Is there swim metrics for indoor and outdoor swimming, caparison to the Ambit2
* For indoor training, when using the Ambit on a treadmill for example, is was pretty close to giving the distance I would have traveled (guessing it used fusespeed for this, does or can the Fenix do the same, this was a surprise feature that I thought was great of the Ambit.
* With the Fenix if you were to go into a black spot (tunnel for example) does it estimate what you are doing like the Ambit, or has a blank section?
* Movescount allows you to interact with the Map and now has map colour co-ordinated to that of the metrix you are viewing, does Garmin Connect do this
* I'm still not sure if Training Effect is on the Fenix and does it have option to put in recovery time after an exercise.

These are probably the most current features I use (or would use regarding the swimming if I bought the Ambit2)

Thanks Scott

#79 ·
Excellent thanks for that information.

I can't be sure if I had GPS enable while on the treadmill, but I did on a 5km run (according to the treadmill) come in at 4.98Km on the Ambit.

Looks like for me the Ambit2 is probably better suited to my needs, although having better trekking would have been great on the Ambit2, sort of the best of both Ambit2 and Fenix features.

Oh, I did find out after playing on Garmin Connect that if you click on the option "play" or analyse you can get close to the same ability of the interactive maps of Movescount.

If I had my way I would get both, alas a comprimise I have to make

#80 ·
Looks like for me the Ambit2 is probably better suited to my needs, although having better trekking would have been great on the Ambit2, sort of the best of both Ambit2 and Fenix features.
Yeah, I too wish for one device that merges both. I'm going to move into an Ambit 2S and be done with it (at least until the next big thing comes along).

Oh, I did find out after playing on Garmin Connect that if you click on the option "play" or analyse you can get close to the same ability of the interactive maps of Movescount.
Yep. Close and definitely not bad.

#81 ·
Do not discount the simple script available which will convert all your Garmin downloads into Movescount. This way you can use the fenix but view in Movescount. I do not do this (my only Garmin product ATM is a hand held GPS) but others have with success I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.