WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

A Guide to accessing Ambit2 (and possibly others) GPS data offline

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Kamikaze 
#1 ·
For ages I have struggled with trying to find a way of accessing GPS data offline (without having to be connected to Movescount online)
I have noticed a few programs written in Python out there, but no straightforward executable programs that people like me could operate, until now...
Here is how I do it (in Windows 7):

First you need to show Hidden files on your computer:
- Open Windows Explorer (Folder Tab, NOT internet explorer!!)
- Click 'Organize' Tab
- Select ' Folder and Search Options
- Click 'View' Tab
- In 'Advanced Settings' scroll to Hidden files and folders, and check ' Show hidden files, folders and drives.
- Click 'Apply' Tab

Now your offline GPS data (transferred from watch to computer, but not yet uploaded to Movescount) will be accessible here:
Windows Explorer:
- 'Computer'
- 'C' drive
- 'Users'
- ' "you" '
- 'Appdata'
- 'roaming'
- 'Suunto'
- 'Moveslink2'
The actual file will be made up of a series of random letters and numbers, the date of the excersise, then a few more random letter and numbers.
The file will be a .SML

The best way I have found to convert this into a .GPX file that is useable in most other applications (or to just analyse your data) is to download ' Tom Shane Neotrack' :
Tom Shane :: Neotrack
This is a free download. Free version has all features available, however it is limited on the amount of data that can be saved. You can purchase an upgrade to full version.
Once installed,
- Open Neotrack
- If a 'Enter new activity window' doesnt pop up, Click 'New'
- Name your exercise, and OK.
- Click ' Activity' Tab
- Click ' Import' Tab and locate your file.
- Click 'Start' and the file will be loaded in.
You can now view your activity within Neotrack, or you can just click 'Export' Tab and save the data as a .GPX file, which can then be used in most other applications!!!!

I hope this guide helps others...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.