WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Meet the Suunto Ambit3 Vertical!

57K views 369 replies 65 participants last post by  pirx 
#1 · (Edited)
THE VERTICAL EXPERIENCE FOR MULTISPORT

Some call it obsession, we call it dedication. The Suunto Ambit3 Vertical is more than just a multisport GPS watch. Follow the altitude profile of your route while working your way up mountains. Keep track of your total vertical gain from your yearly total to day-by-day ascents. Plan your training with the Suunto Movescount App and let the vibration alerts on the watch guide you during your workouts. Relive and share your experience with the Suunto Movescount App.

More info here: http://www.suunto.com/nb-NO/News/Su...isport-GPS-watch-for-tracking-elevation-gain/

#10 ·
Yup. Looks like what many of us were expecting the Traverse to be. The full multisport firmware of the Ambit3, in the new package. Looks like a fine product. Garmin is a version ahead in features, but if the GPS performance and general stability of the Vertical is as solid as Ambit 3 peak/sport, it will still be a compelling product over the Fenix 3.

Although the ultra/trail running and hiking crowd is going to miss the 'Peak' sized battery life (20hrs vs 10hrs). I was expecting this watch to just be packaged with the larger battery. i.e. the Vertical would be to the Traverse, as the Peak would be to the Sport.

#12 ·
Looks good, torn as to whether I would ditch my Ambit 3 Peak for it though, possibly not a big enough difference for me.

Is Glonass being enabled on the 3 peak does anyone know?
you'd be giving up battery life,
but would get the new packaging, integrated antenna, vibration alerts. Yeah- Probably not worth it.

my guess is that, for the A3, you have no need/benefit from Glonass. the GPS performance is already so solid.

#15 ·
nice watch... i have two ambit peak and a traverse and all are very rock solid... glonass is not a great feature... according to my tests the ambit3 "nose" is better than glonass/gps combo... and the Peak's big battery is very useful for me during ultratrail races over ten hours... anyway i like this vertical... the black edition is beautiful :D
when it will be available in Europe?

#17 ·
Anyone know if they included the step tracking? I can't find the info on it anywhere. Would be silly if they didn't include that because adding it to the Traverse leads one to believe they are moving in that direction (of including steps on all future watches).

#23 · (Edited)
Looks like Suunto is using same platform to make different products like automotive industry makes different cars with same platform. I guess it is one way to make business.

I would prefer best possible platform at the time and all new features would be a bonus after that. Now it seems that Traverse could be Vertical or vice verca (only software difference).

#24 ·
I find this branding approach confusing. I'm not a hiker. Is this watch a good, multiple purpose replacement to the Ambit2, or am I supposed to wait for Ambit4?

I'm a swimmer, so should I wait for the swim edition?

With vibration alerts this looks like what people were after in the ambit3 originally. But I'm honestly confused by Suunto's intent here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I find this branding approach confusing. I'm not a hiker. Is this watch a good, multiple purpose replacement to the Ambit2, or am I supposed to wait for Ambit4?

I'm a swimmer, so should I wait for the swim edition?

With vibration alerts this looks like what people were after in the ambit3 originally. But I'm honestly confused by Suunto's intent here.

This should work as good as Ambit3 for swimming, but i think that you have to wait for real user experience to be sure.

#26 ·
...Real time hill incline %...with an app..

ok, since suunto is too busy to create a suunto app and has outsource the job to wannabe developers around the world,
who have flooded movescount with real incline apps,
has anybody to suggest a precise and responsive to changes real time hill incline app ?

I have tested about 10 of them and they either very slow to respond or give results that are very different to what i see on the road and on my 510.

#27 · (Edited)
From what I see the vertical information is much more than just an incline app. From the statements and the graphs on the watch face vertical is treated similarly to routes, there is a predictive line for the vertical that is upcoming as well as what has been completed. I am not nearly as interested in knowing how steep it is, my legs can tell me that! But, knowing how much vert is left in a climb for a race and knowing how I feel could make a difference in a finish....or knowing how much more up there is (and mileage) until I reach a pass that I cannot see would be very useful. More often than not I will go over more than one peak or I will be running in an unknown place. Just knowing the final elevation is not as informative as having a vertical "route." I believe that is part of what the software for the vertical will do. That is why it appeals to me. If the battery were the same as the Ambit3 Peak, I would sell my Peak today.

#28 ·
Does anything think we will get a direct Peak replacement or will it be a case of picking one of the compromises that is nearest to what you require. I wear my Peak as a daily watch and would like the smaller form factor but the Traverse and Vertical seem too specifically aimed for me.

I know nobody knows (except Suunto) just wondering out loud :)

#69 ·
with traverse it's possible change gps fix rate on the fly.

View attachment 6623338
If this was also possible with the Vertical this might be a good-enough solution for me. Thanks to all for your input. Multisport might be an option when having a break on the peak, but i guess setting the activity to pause would also have a positive effect. I assume setting on pause and resuming is possible within the same activity.

The max. time I need from this watch for my hikes/climbes/ski-touring is around 11-12 hours. Usually 5-8.
As for me, step counter is not an essential feature, but I understand people who want it incorporated since it should be a minor alteration in the software and the watch is obviously capable of providing such information.

After having owned the Fenix3 and returned it due to poor accuracy (for hiking), I am very keen on seeing the first accuracy comparisons vs. Fenix3 and Ambit3 Peak. Until then I'll hold back, but if the thing is nearly as accurate as the other Ambits it'll land in my shopping cart for the Summer mountaineering season.

#44 · (Edited)
actually i think it can be done with a trick: by using multisport.
you define two different sport modes: "running 1sec" and "running 5sec".
during your activity you can switch from one mode to the other one. you can even define a "running no gps", and activate it during long pauses, if you want to save some battery without having to stop the activity.

PS i have just seen rockbird's comment providing the same solution. sorry for duplicating.

#45 ·
...you can even define a "running no gps"...
Notwithstanding the above post that indicates that the Traverse can actually change GPS setting on the fly (nice feature), for those of us with older Ambit models... I keep a 'treadmill' mode in my list. So, I can always do the multisport switch to treadmill- and it does a surprisingly good job at accurately tracking distance. You just lose the GPS track, of course.

#46 ·
Usual reminder: Remember not to go into navigation on your Ambit if you use a mode with a longer-than-1sec ("best") GPS fix and want to have longer battery run time. (Activating navigation automatically switches GPS fix to 1sec.)

(Yeah, I know, most people commenting here know that full-well. But seems a good idea to have that note right here for all those who are new to it...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.