Spartan Sport Wrist HR Or Fenix 5 - Page 11
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Spartan Sport Wrist HR Or Fenix 5

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Re: Spartan Sport Wrist HR Or Fenix 5

Here is a comparison I did today with my Fenix 5 and Ambit 3 Peak.

Wore both devices on my left wrist. GPS set to best/GPS+GLONASS.
    Both set to 1 second recording.
    F5 OHR, and A3P chest strap

F5
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1688796912

A3P
    bcalvanese's 1:06 h Trail running Move

MyGPSFiles tracks
    MyGPSFiles

Looks pretty darn good to me.

Open view of sky? What's up with the altitude tracks? A3P is roughly flat, which maybe is the correct one for running on a path around a lake? I realize the F5 is "only" a 5 meter fluctuation - is it also barometric or is it gps altitude?

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    Open view of sky? What's up with the altitude tracks? A3P is roughly flat, which maybe is the correct one for running on a path around a lake? I realize the F5 is "only" a 5 meter fluctuation - is it also barometric or is it gps altitude?
    The A3P had been sitting in my bag for well over a month and had not been calibrated for probably longer than that. Also, i think the F5 auto calibrates at the start of an activity.

Final Conclusion

After using the fenix 5 for at least 2 weeks I have decided to go back to the Spartan Ultra.

GPS was good but distance seemed off compared to actual known distance. This threw pace off and also pace is erratic.

VO2max was way off. Said my fitness level was poor, and even though it went up slightly in 2 weeks, it did not go up by much, and I know my fitness level is not poor. Always had this issue with Garmin devices.

Settings saved on watch did not save in GC mobile, and next sync would set the watch settings back to what was in GC mobile.

The new advanced metrics (the ones that say you have to use it for a couple weeks) seemed to be moving in the right direction, but now seem more gimmicky than of having any real value.

Information on the watch say different from the same information on GC mobile and the website.

At least twice in the 2 weeks I went to view a workout in GC mobile after saving and it said it could not load the workout. I had to physically import the file from the watch via USB to the website to get the workout to come up so I could view it.

Battery life was very good.

OHR sensor worked very well (best I have seen in an OHR device) both for daily tracking and the workouts that I do (running, power walking, and power walk/run intervals.

I had the Spartan Ultra before and like it a lot. I probably jumped the gun because I wanted to try the new devices. I'm impulsive that way...:)

Anyway, all these cool new features are only good if they work and the device is something you can depend on. I have always had issues with Garmin devices and hoped that the F5 would be better, but the same issues just seem to carry over to new devices and never get resolved.

Sorry Garmin, but I need a device I can depend on.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread Information