Spartan Sport Wrist HR Or Fenix 5 - Page 11
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Spartan Sport Wrist HR Or Fenix 5

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Re: Spartan Sport Wrist HR Or Fenix 5

Here is a comparison I did today with my Fenix 5 and Ambit 3 Peak.

Wore both devices on my left wrist. GPS set to best/GPS+GLONASS.
    Both set to 1 second recording.
    F5 OHR, and A3P chest strap

F5
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1688796912

A3P
    bcalvanese's 1:06 h Trail running Move

MyGPSFiles tracks
    MyGPSFiles

Looks pretty darn good to me.

Open view of sky? What's up with the altitude tracks? A3P is roughly flat, which maybe is the correct one for running on a path around a lake? I realize the F5 is "only" a 5 meter fluctuation - is it also barometric or is it gps altitude?

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    Open view of sky? What's up with the altitude tracks? A3P is roughly flat, which maybe is the correct one for running on a path around a lake? I realize the F5 is "only" a 5 meter fluctuation - is it also barometric or is it gps altitude?
    The A3P had been sitting in my bag for well over a month and had not been calibrated for probably longer than that. Also, i think the F5 auto calibrates at the start of an activity.

Final Conclusion

After using the fenix 5 for at least 2 weeks I have decided to go back to the Spartan Ultra.

GPS was good but distance seemed off compared to actual known distance. This threw pace off and also pace is erratic.

VO2max was way off. Said my fitness level was poor, and even though it went up slightly in 2 weeks, it did not go up by much, and I know my fitness level is not poor. Always had this issue with Garmin devices.

Settings saved on watch did not save in GC mobile, and next sync would set the watch settings back to what was in GC mobile.

The new advanced metrics (the ones that say you have to use it for a couple weeks) seemed to be moving in the right direction, but now seem more gimmicky than of having any real value.

Information on the watch say different from the same information on GC mobile and the website.

At least twice in the 2 weeks I went to view a workout in GC mobile after saving and it said it could not load the workout. I had to physically import the file from the watch via USB to the website to get the workout to come up so I could view it.

Battery life was very good.

OHR sensor worked very well (best I have seen in an OHR device) both for daily tracking and the workouts that I do (running, power walking, and power walk/run intervals.

I had the Spartan Ultra before and like it a lot. I probably jumped the gun because I wanted to try the new devices. I'm impulsive that way...:)

Anyway, all these cool new features are only good if they work and the device is something you can depend on. I have always had issues with Garmin devices and hoped that the F5 would be better, but the same issues just seem to carry over to new devices and never get resolved.

Sorry Garmin, but I need a device I can depend on.

Quote Originally Posted by bcalvanese View Post
    Final Conclusion

After using the fenix 5 for at least 2 weeks I have decided to go back to the Spartan Ultra.

Thanks for the summary. The changes since you "left" are great improvements to the mobile app for syncing. My syncing used to be highly errratic and now on iOS with the latest app update my syncing is as reliable as the A3P was. Zoom in Nav is something I am using more that I thought I would as yesterday I downloaded a route and followed it (partway) and the trail was quite primitive and hard to find. Intervals are nice to have but structured workouts on the Spartan do not exist, one area where Garmin is clearly superior. I do expect that to improve and I do know that updates are still coming.

Quote Originally Posted by martowl View Post
    Thanks for the summary. The changes since you "left" are great improvements to the mobile app for syncing. My syncing used to be highly errratic and now on iOS with the latest app update my syncing is as reliable as the A3P was. Zoom in Nav is something I am using more that I thought I would as yesterday I downloaded a route and followed it (partway) and the trail was quite primitive and hard to find. Intervals are nice to have but structured workouts on the Spartan do not exist, one area where Garmin is clearly superior. I do expect that to improve and I do know that updates are still coming.
    Yeah, i just got the IOS update last night and have had 0 issues syncing with my iPhone 7+ since.

I mapped out a 9 mile trail route at a near by park last night to try out the navigate features today on a trail run. Some of the trails i have been on a few times and others i have not. I don't really use structured workouts, but I do like doing intervals a lot of the time. I just go by how I'm feeling and push myself if not in recovery mode.
    Last edited by bcalvanese; April 23rd, 2017 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by bcalvanese View Post
    Final Conclusion

Battery life was very good.
    Odd, that you did that, but, I find myself in almost the same boat. I've seen the altitude on the watch (F5) vary sitting at the kitchen table, and I don't remember about the Ultra. I'm almost to the point of doing the same thing as you, but not quite. For me, the Movescount data is a hands down winner, the tracks that I did get to do with the Ultra were beautiful, but then, I've not had that bad of tracks with the F5. I have discovered that if I want accurate Heart Rate measurements, I do need to wear the chest strap, which negates the WHR on the F5, so that's a wasy. For those times that it's not "that important", (short mall walks due to rain/snow/etc), I have a Scosche Rhythm+, which is pretty accurate, much more so than the WHR on the F5. Another wash. The only thing that I do like is the 24 hour heart rate, and the auto sleep tracking, however, I'm pretty consistent with that, and the purchase of a fitbit would solve that little delimma.
    I've not had the problems (yet) with the upload of activities, however, I do know that GC does like to have an active internet connection or it won't upload the activity, I forget about the Ultra, never really tested it. I don't know about the Metrics of VO2Max/LT, etc, because I actually don't do anything that will generate that data, don't have a power meter for my bike, and due to knees that don't work right anymore, running is out too, so any data produced by Garmin along those lines are a question mark, and more of a gimmick than anything else. I really DO like the various activity definitions in Movescount, as I do Yoga, and Circuit training, that I have to use the "cardio" activity for in GC, which, if both companies are to be believed, each activity is tweaked to coincide with the type of activity. ie. Yoga doesn't generate the calorie burn that Circuit training does, or that's what Polar says.
    On battery life, the F5 does win that battle, as I'm getting close to 2 weeks out of the F5, where I got only 1 week out of the Spartan. Is that about what you've seen?
    Okay, now to make a decision, like you, I really do like playing with the "newest" and "best", toys out there, and I really do wish that we could see what's in the future for the Spartans. I think that there may be more updates, as that's how they work, as opposed to Garmin in that from what I've seen, updates only come until the next new device they put out. I do like the Barometric altimeter, and sapphire glass of the Ultra, as opposed to the SSWHR, and when I had mine, it was really pretty much useless for accuracy, that's why I sent it back. However, I did like the Ultra..
    Okay, just a few points, looking for more possible input before my decision..

Quote Originally Posted by sb029111 View Post
    Odd, that you did that, but, I find myself in almost the same boat. I've seen the altitude on the watch (F5) vary sitting at the kitchen table, and I don't remember about the Ultra. I'm almost to the point of doing the same thing as you, but not quite. For me, the Movescount data is a hands down winner, the tracks that I did get to do with the Ultra were beautiful, but then, I've not had that bad of tracks with the F5. I have discovered that if I want accurate Heart Rate measurements, I do need to wear the chest strap, which negates the WHR on the F5, so that's a wasy. For those times that it's not "that important", (short mall walks due to rain/snow/etc), I have a Scosche Rhythm+, which is pretty accurate, much more so than the WHR on the F5. Another wash. The only thing that I do like is the 24 hour heart rate, and the auto sleep tracking, however, I'm pretty consistent with that, and the purchase of a fitbit would solve that little delimma.
    I've not had the problems (yet) with the upload of activities, however, I do know that GC does like to have an active internet connection or it won't upload the activity, I forget about the Ultra, never really tested it. I don't know about the Metrics of VO2Max/LT, etc, because I actually don't do anything that will generate that data, don't have a power meter for my bike, and due to knees that don't work right anymore, running is out too, so any data produced by Garmin along those lines are a question mark, and more of a gimmick than anything else. I really DO like the various activity definitions in Movescount, as I do Yoga, and Circuit training, that I have to use the "cardio" activity for in GC, which, if both companies are to be believed, each activity is tweaked to coincide with the type of activity. ie. Yoga doesn't generate the calorie burn that Circuit training does, or that's what Polar says.
    On battery life, the F5 does win that battle, as I'm getting close to 2 weeks out of the F5, where I got only 1 week out of the Spartan. Is that about what you've seen?
    Okay, now to make a decision, like you, I really do like playing with the "newest" and "best", toys out there, and I really do wish that we could see what's in the future for the Spartans. I think that there may be more updates, as that's how they work, as opposed to Garmin in that from what I've seen, updates only come until the next new device they put out. I do like the Barometric altimeter, and sapphire glass of the Ultra, as opposed to the SSWHR, and when I had mine, it was really pretty much useless for accuracy, that's why I sent it back. However, I did like the Ultra..
    Okay, just a few points, looking for more possible input before my decision..
    I wanted to like the F5, but started seeing the same issues as other Garmin's i have owned. Just not worth going through this for yet another year, and even then they still dont get resolved. They just carry right over to the next new devices.

I think the Spartan Ultra battery life is at least as good as the F5. I only got 1 week out of the Spartan Sport OHR (if that) though, but the Ultra should give about 15 days in watch mode. I also like the display on the Spartan way more than the F5. It's much easier to read with my old eyes.

I work hard on my fitness and just want a device I can depend on to give me the right result, and work every time.

Suunto falls into this category, but Garmin does not. IMHO.

In my experience, Garmin watches use only the first 12 minutes of each activity to estimate VO2max, based on the standard cooper test. Factors are probably the distance covered and the average %HRmax (or "%MHR") reached in these 12 minutes. If you start your activities with slow warm-up jogging or go uphill during it, you will not get a decent VO2max rating on a garmin watch.

I really want to love this device. I get that its an outdoors watch with sports. But the smart notifications could be a bit a better. Unless when I had it I didnt know how to use the notifications. Say you get 5 emails, can you clear each one or do you just get notified and shown one email?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information