Still Time to get in on Stryd a Power Meter for Running!
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Still Time to get in on Stryd a Power Meter for Running!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Still Time to get in on Stryd a Power Meter for Running!

This is a power meter for runners! Looks like it is going to be great and already works with Ambit2 and Ambit3. Still room left on Kickstarter here. More info from Stryd here and a preview from DCRainmaker here.

A photo from the website that shows the device working on an Ambit. Apparently Suunto has Power available in the Run modes so this will work out of the box. Garmin does not have Power implemented in Run mode so one would have to use a cycle mode.

I preordered from Kickstarter and the company is in my hometown!

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  293.6 KB

Re: Still Time to get in on Stryd a Power Meter for Running!

It is very good to have some kind of effort measurement for running other than heart rate with all those limitations.
    But on the other hand i don't understand how a pod, attached to to short or your shoe will give you power metrics.
    Cycling powermeters calculate DIRECT force applied to the pedals, not CALCULATED force based on some algorithms.

I believe that this product is a very expensive advanced suunto app.
    I am playing around with some physics formulas and suunto apps and i have created an app that shows you running power.
    I haven't try it in practice due to injury, but even if the numbers are not correct, as far as they are consistent i would have an independent metric.

Quote Originally Posted by roots_n_rocks View Post
    It is very good to have some kind of effort measurement for running other than heart rate with all those limitations.
    But on the other hand i don't understand how a pod, attached to to short or your shoe will give you power metrics.
    Cycling powermeters calculate DIRECT force applied to the pedals, not CALCULATED force based on some algorithms.

I believe that this product is a very expensive advanced suunto app.
    I am playing around with some physics formulas and suunto apps and i have created an app that shows you running power.
    I haven't try it in practice due to injury, but even if the numbers are not correct, as far as they are consistent i would have an independent metric.
    I hear what you are saying and agree in principle, it is the software that is critical...read DCRainmakers' hands on, it is pretty impressive, especially the hill efforts.

yeah, Cycling power is MEASURED, and is useful to have an universal comparison variable for cycling effort. It's great because it automatically factors windspeed, incline and other course variables to compare the true best efforts between individuals

Running power, on the other hand would have to be CALCULATED from many inputs (running speed or pace, incline, wind speed and direction, leg length, etc)

What this company is selling is indeed an algorithm (formula) that could be "easily" reproduced or copied (there was a thread on this forum about trying to discover the formula for EPOC because it wasn't available in real time on the Ambit. With enough trial and error, everyone could get near the running power that this company has figured.

as roots_n_rock said : as long as it's consistent it's useful tool (a triathlete who's well balanced between cycling and running should?/could? have the same Running and Cycling power). What do you guys think ?
    martowl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wydim View Post
    yeah, Cycling power is MEASURED, and is useful to have an universal comparison variable for cycling effort. It's great because it automatically factors windspeed, incline and other course variables to compare the true best efforts between individuals

Running power, on the other hand would have to be CALCULATED from many inputs (running speed or pace, incline, wind speed and direction, leg length, etc)

What this company is selling is indeed an algorithm (formula) that could be "easily" reproduced or copied (there was a thread on this forum about trying to discover the formula for EPOC because it wasn't available in real time on the Ambit. With enough trial and error, everyone could get near the running power that this company has figured.

as roots_n_rock said : as long as it's consistent it's useful tool (a triathlete who's well balanced between cycling and running should?/could? have the same Running and Cycling power). What do you guys think ?
    If you guys can do this it would be great! I would certainly rather use an in house app. I will have the Stryd so I can be a tester if anyone wants to make a stab at this.

Quote Originally Posted by martowl View Post
    If you guys can do this it would be great! I would certainly rather use an in house app. I will have the Stryd so I can be a tester if anyone wants to make a stab at this.
    My programming skills are VERY, very, very limited. So is my interest in running power. But still, I appreciate innovation and companies like Stryd.

I read many comments in DCrainmaker's thread. Some people have brought up interesting limitations(?) of their device : running surface (pavement, sand, mud) and wind (among many others) will not be taken into account (or will they ?)

If I was running trail (with many ascents-descents) I would use gradient corrected running pace (Strava has it). For other factors, I would let the years to come to show us a real powerMETER (as opposed to powerCALCULATOR).

keep us posted !

You don't need to have programming skill to built an suunto app.
    You just need some ideas, some basic math knowledge and .... patience.

I have create an Running Power app which doesn't show downhill power.
    I have start creating a Running Power app that somehow calculates downhill power (in not a scientific way)
    I have created a Ground Contact Time app.
    And finally the most useful app for trail running is the Gradient Corrected Speed like the one wydim mentioned.

There is not much programming there, basically math.
    I started testing with them but due to injury it will take some time.
    I don't aim and don't care to be precise, but i want some consistent data to use and see changes.

I will post the results of my tests later this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by roots_n_rocks View Post
    You don't need to have programming skill to built an suunto app.
    You just need some ideas, some basic math knowledge and .... patience.

I have create an Running Power app which doesn't show downhill power.
    I have start creating a Running Power app that somehow calculates downhill power (in not a scientific way)
    I have created a Ground Contact Time app.
    And finally the most useful app for trail running is the Gradient Corrected Speed like the one wydim mentioned.

There is not much programming there, basically math.
    I started testing with them but due to injury it will take some time.
    I don't aim and don't care to be precise, but i want some consistent data to use and see changes.

I will post the results of my tests later this spring.
    Let me know if you want anymore testing, you can send me the code to load and I can keep the app private. I would be most interested in Gradient Corrected Speed

Martowl,

Do you have a Strava account ? if not, you can create one for free (strava.com) and your suunto moves will update automatically to strava analysis platform (after you allow it via movescount). Strava has the "gradient corrected pace" graph available for post-run analysis. Or maybe you want it in real time ?

Since i don't want to rush things and it is gone to take a while until i start running again,
    i have made the app public:
    Grade Adapted Speed - App at Movescount.com

I am not sure if the way i guide the watch to understand when is is uphill and when downhill is correct,
    but if is seems wrong, let me know, i have another idea.

Ideally you should have a flat grade adapted speed line in your graph which would be equal to your avg speed.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information