Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Suunto AMBIT

Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Re: Suunto AMBIT

Quote Originally Posted by Alavana View Post
    Does anyone know if the watch would be capable of supporting a footpod at a later date with a software update via movescount?
    I have no way of predicting the future, obviously, but it is not hard for me to imagine Suunto developing a NEW Foot Pod that would allow the type of data gathering you are talking about. The software update feature through Movescount is a major positive sign that developments like this will be possible.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

I only wish this has non integrated lugs like the Core.

Wonder if there will be a bracelet version. Both my vector and Core are on after market straps (zulu/leather) so I like the option of strap changing. Was never a big fan of rubber straps (even on my Casios).
    || Casio || Suunto || Citizen || Timex || Tissot || Seiko
    Flipped? Too many to mention

Quote Originally Posted by SSingh1975 View Post
    I only wish this has non integrated lugs like the Core.

Wonder if there will be a bracelet version. Both my vector and Core are on after market straps (zulu/leather) so I like the option of strap changing. Was never a big fan of rubber straps (even on my Casios).
    Looks like we will be stuck with either the AMBIT Black StraP:

or the AMBIT Silver Strap:

I am unaware of any discussion about a metal bracelet in the AMBIT's future.

Hey, the good news is we will be able to switch up between these two. Better option than the X9/X10 series.

HTH
    "So?"

I've just placed my pre-order for this fantastic little beauty.... Now I need to start counting down until I get it...

Buzz

My 2cents on the wall charger.
    On a $550 item, Suunto should have included the $2 USB wall charger, and thrown in the car charger too.
    I mean, seriously.
    It's a rechargeable watch, right?

Sure I've got a wall thingy already. But, I'm supposed to steal it from the 'family charging station' when i go on a trip? They'd change the locks on me!

Guess I'll be spending $2 at Amazon. Really - kinda silly.

p.s. This is the watch I've waited my whole life for, so I'm dying to get one. Chargerlessness isn't a showstopper. I guess they know that.
    Last edited by or_watching; February 21st, 2012 at 22:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzomx View Post
    How navigation works on Ambit: Suunto Ambit gps watch - YouTube
    Thanks for sharing this link about navigation with Ambit as this is one of the most important feature for me. The demo is very promising except on one item: it is said the number of waypoints is limited to 100.

How could Suunto set a so low limit when typical routes... are created from tracks recorded previously by other people, or organizer of events, and come with hundreds, if not thousands of points? If I want to share on movescount.com a track I recorded and found great, noone will be able to import it on his ambit as a route and follow it, because it will be made of 3,000 way points? Garmin is proposing that feature on Garmin connect for a while, through the operation "export to device".

Even for routes prepared on computer by defining waypoints, on a trail of 50 km, which is an average distance for trail running, with a limitation of 100 way points, we have an average of 1 waypoint per 500 meters. Definitely not enough.

I hope this restriction will not be confirmed (X10 can handle 500 way points, better but still not enough to me) and I hope Ambit will come with the possibility of managing hundreds, or thousands, way points. If someone can have information on that matter from Suunto (and hopefully good news...) that would be great to me.
    Last edited by joelc; February 21st, 2012 at 22:44. Reason: bad reference to previous suunto model

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I have no way of predicting the future, obviously, but it is not hard for me to imagine Suunto developing a NEW Foot Pod that would allow the type of data gathering you are talking about. The software update feature through Movescount is a major positive sign that developments like this will be possible.

HTH
    As far as I know, 3-axis MEMS accelerometers all work about the same at the physical level. My guess is that the accelerometer in the watch is pretty much generating the exact same kind of data as any footpod accelerometer. But what will matter is how the sensor output is wired and used inside the watch... whether is can be explicitly pulled out and used for calibrated distance and cadence is an implementation question only Suunto can answer.
    They certainly have teased us with the wording about "future updates" through the wire. Certainly I'm hoping it's functionality and more than just bug fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by joelc View Post
    (Core can handle 500 way points, better but still not enough to me)
    The Suunto CORE cannot handle waypoints at all - are we talking about the same thing? Can you clarify this, please?

TIA
    "So?"

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The Suunto CORE cannot handle waypoints at all - are we talking about the same thing? Can you clarify this, please?

TIA
    My bad, it is the Suunto X10 whose specs page is announcing 500 waypoints. I edited my initial post accordingly, thanks for pointing this wrong model name.

My worry about the announce of a limitation of 100 waypoints coming with the Ambit remains, though, if confirmed.
    Last edited by joelc; February 21st, 2012 at 22:45. Reason: add a note about editing of initial post on navigation limitation

Quote Originally Posted by joelc View Post
    Thanks for sharing this link about navigation with Ambit as this is one of the most important feature for me. The demo is very promising except on one item: it is said the number of waypoints is limited to 100.

How could Suunto set a so low limit when typical routes... are created from tracks recorded previously by other people, or organizer of events, and come with hundreds, if not thousands of points? If I want to share on movescount.com a track I recorded and found great, noone will be able to import it on his ambit as a route and follow it, because it will be made of 3,000 way points? Garmin is proposing that feature on Garmin connect for a while, through the operation "export to device".

Even for routes prepared on computer by defining waypoints, on a trail of 50 km, which is an average distance for trail running, with a limitation of 100 way points, we have an average of 1 waypoint per 500 meters. Definitely not enough.

I hope this restriction will not be confirmed (Core can handle 500 way points, better but still not enough to me) and Ambit will come with the possibility of managing hundreds, or thousands, way points. If someone can have information on that matter from Suunto (and hopefully good news...) that would be great to me.
    If I were God, my 11th commandment would be, "All companies shall publish the User Manual when announcing comlicated cool new products."
    Then mortals wouldnt have to spend so mich time on Watchuseek wondering how things really work.

Joelc:
    What you want is a Course or Track which you can follow. Right?
    Apparantly the Ambit has a Trackback feature (I haven't seen details), but if the watch can allow you to follow your own track back, we can only hope that other people's tracks can be imported (a shared Move in Movescount perhaps?).
    But alas, such functionally hasn't been announced. Yet.

Thread Information