Suunto Ambit2 FusedAlti feature
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Suunto Ambit2 FusedAlti feature

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Suunto Ambit2 FusedAlti feature

Hi Ambit2 users?
    You understanded how FusedAlti works?
    I noticed that if I manually set the reference altitude when the GPS is actived (during the Move) the device is in trouble!
    I set the share to 626m before starting the stopwatch but then visualized a value of 28m that slowly stabilized up to go about 626m (10m + or -). I think it's possible to manually set the quota alti reference only with the GPS off or with FusedAlti disabled.
    Right?

Ps: sorry for my english...
    Last edited by anto1980; May 20th, 2013 at 20:34.

Re: Suunto Ambit2 FusedAlti feature

Quote Originally Posted by anto1980 View Post
    Hi Ambit2 users?
    I noticed that if I manually set the reference altitude when the GPS is actived (during the Move) the device is in trouble!
    I set the share to 626m before starting the stopwatch but then visualized a value of 28m that slowly stabilized up to go about 626m (10m + or -). I think it's possible to manually set the quota alti reference only with the GPS off or with FusedAlti disabled.
    Right?

Ps: sorry for my english...
    You are not supposed to adjust manually when FusedAlti is active.

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    You are not supposed to adjust manually when FusedAlti is active.
    Thank you Joakim!
    And if the value is not correct? +/- 10m of difference...

Thank you Joakim!
    And if the value is not correct? +/- 10m of difference...
    im not a ambit2 user YET, but +/-10m is quite accurate, on my ambit1, a variation of +/- 20-30m will frustrates the hell out of you. I hope the fused alti is a much precise way of showing the alti as it uses GPS

I've done comparisons in a thread of mine, I've reposted here.

On the whole FusedAlti is pretty good, but does get a bit off for the altitude when I'm at home.

One of my common runs, Google Earth has my start point at 80 metres which I set as a reference, starting the exercise the Fuesdalti had is set to 93 metres above sea level.
    Overall the Altitude was more accurately traced compared to the Ambit1, the highest point, Ambit1 had 60 Metres, Ambit2 had 111 Metres. Google Earth has it at 106 Metres.

I've then did some comparisons with Google Earth, 3 apps on my phone and Fusedalti

From near my work
    Theodolite. - was going around 10 - 20 metres, averaging 16 Metres
    Elevation 4 Real STRM 14 Metres (SRTM elevation is Ellipsoidal Height - Geoid Undulation) GPS receivers measure height above an idealised, smooth surface called "ellipsoid", which is a model shape of Earth
    Elevation - 12.4 Metres
    Google Earth - 13 - 14 Metres
    FusedAlti - 14 Metres

From near my home
    Theodolite. - was going around 75 - 90 metres, averaging 83 Metres
    Elevation 4 Real STRM 77 Metres
    Elevation - 79.5 Metres
    Google Earth - 80 Metres
    FusedAlti - 93 Metres
    Last edited by SavageSS; May 24th, 2013 at 04:54.

Hi Ambit2 users?
    I believe this is a bug. Even if you accidentally go into the altimeter menu and not touch the manual reference , it throws it out (and we are talking HUGE errors). The only way to correct it is to stop the exercise and manually reference it again. You can manually reference the altimeter when fusedAlti is active if not in exercise mode. I have set a file demonstrating to Suunto.

How does fusedalti work on a daily basis (when not in exercise mode)? Is it supposed to calibrate the altitude automatically when you have GPS reception? And if you are in a new place and you don't know the altitude, what is the best way to get the starting altitude for your move?

Quote Originally Posted by suecoloco View Post
    How does fusedalti work on a daily basis (when not in exercise mode)? Is it supposed to calibrate the altitude automatically when you have GPS reception? And if you are in a new place and you don't know the altitude, what is the best way to get the starting altitude for your move?
    It is simply nothing short of amazing....

When not in exercise mode simply long press View and you select FusedAlti. It typically takes 4-6 min to make a measurement and I am usually walking when I do this. The FusedAlti once activated records the appropriate altitude and gets the sea level barometric pressure exactly as reported by a nearby weather station. I have found the altitude measurements much better on the Ambit2 during exercise mode and when FusedAlti is active when not exercising. For me altitude is an important part of my training and the upgrade was worth it.
    anto1980 and roots-n-rocks like this.

I am finding fusedAlti is consistently placing me 10m higher than Topo/GE based elevations. The end totals of elevation gain/loss are accurate but always over reads by 10m.

There is still the fault of manual adjustment while fusedAlti running throwing a huge error. I had hoped they would address this in the last small update. Can some of you please confirm/deny your units do this please:

FusedAlti must be on: Settings>Alti-Baro>FusedAlti On
    Check elevation reading
    Start exercise
    Options>Alti

Mine then drops about 600m of elevation and is impossible to correct again without terminating the exercise. Manual adjustment works fine in watch mode, it is only in exercise mode when this happens.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by pjc3 View Post
    I am finding fusedAlti is consistently placing me 10m higher than Topo/GE based elevations. The end totals of elevation gain/loss are accurate but always over reads by 10m.

There is still the fault of manual adjustment while fusedAlti running throwing a huge error. I had hoped they would address this in the last small update. Can some of you please confirm/deny your units do this please:

FusedAlti must be on: Settings>Alti-Baro>FusedAlti On
    Check elevation reading
    Start exercise
    Options>Alti

Mine then drops about 600m of elevation and is impossible to correct again without terminating the exercise. Manual adjustment works fine in watch mode, it is only in exercise mode when this happens.

Thx
    Have you tried setting FusedAlti while not exercising? I typically try to do this once per day as drifts in pressure may alter the reading. I normally have my watch on Auto profile in watch mode. Long press View gets FusedAlti and activate it. It works for me even when walking to work up a 50-75m hill. Once set it seems to be fairly accurate for the day and when I exercise the altitude seems very close.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information