I came to share with you my modification of lugs on my Suunto Core (Light Green version).
As many of you did, I purchased whole new strap to salvage the lugs. (However I did not need to, because my local Suunto reseller sells also lugs separately; however the price for the set is about 95% of whole strap )
Additionally, I ordered shiny new Maratac Zulu Olive Drab Low Lite 24 mm to use with the lugs and my Core.
But after all the purchases, I discovered your discussions about "standing lugs" issue when using other than 2-piece strap such as a zulu or nato.
I then wondered what to do with it and it was quite simple. I just disassembled the lugs by unscrewing the long screw. And here comes the magic: use a piece of sand paper and brush off one millimeter of total length of the longer part. The inner thread begins about a millimeter in the depth, so you will not damage anything.
(on the left - modified, on the right - without modification)
After this modification, you will be able to tighten the screw a bit more which will cause the lugs not to move freely. The more you brush off with sand paper, the more you will be able to tighten it. But I think one millimeter is perfectly enough.
(the lugs keep position)
See my bad photos for reference and ask for anything :)
(complete photos on hand - but with old bond 22mm - maratac is still on the way)