WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Suunto Traverse

245K views 851 replies 150 participants last post by  Eric T Cartman 
#1 ·
So, I watched the video on youtube here, then took the comments the poster made and got them translated. Came out to the following from Google Translate...

The Finnish firm specializing in measuring instruments, Suunto, will release in the spring of 2016 a new model for Outdoor clock in Traverse Suunto. It is not a specific watch for trail running and will not replace the Ambit 3, but was able to incorporate a belt / strap / wadget to measure the pulse. The Traverse will be aimed primarily at the Outdoor GPS and navigation in general. For this, the barometer also include Traverse Suunto priced at 399 euros and 80 grams, the Traverse Suunto is slightly narrower than the Ambit and a little lighter range. In addition to reading mobile notifications on the device, the novelty will be that incorporate vibration notifications for themselves or for applications such as alarm.Traverse Suunto autonomy will be about 100 hours if we connected the GPS accuracy of a point every minute, or about 14 hours if we go up to a point precision every second.Suunto sources have confirmed it expects the new model to replace the Ambit 3 (which, incidentally, probably no longer called Ambit) incorporates the GPS antenna in the ring and thatinherits the benefits of this Traverse Suunto.Thus, the Suunto Traverse is a pioneer that will give way to a new generation and Suunto watches line. Personally we liked the design much more than most brand models. The thing promises.

All I know is no matter what the heck this thing does, I'm looking forward to it. The start and finish of this text contradicts itself, so it's unclearif it is the "new" Ambit series, but I'm excited either way!

See less See more
#3 ·
So, I watched the video on youtube here, then took the comments the poster made and got them translated. Came out to the following from Google Translate...

All I know is no matter what the heck this thing does, I'm looking forward to it. The start and finish of this text contradicts itself, so it's unclearif it is the "new" Ambit series, but I'm excited either way!
Unfortunately, the videos are all Private now, at least I cannot view them.

#4 · (Edited)
Well, that's a pretty exciting list of features. So- the "not a replacement for the Ambit 3" has:

Long Battery Life
GPS with multiple update times (1s, 1min)
Bluetooth
Vibration Alerts !!
Thinner
Pressure Sensor
GPS Antenna moved to the Bezel (Hopefully a better RF design than the Fenix3 implementation- which apparently isn't very good)

I didn't see the video before it was made private, but the front image of the Traverse... looks pretty darn similar to the Ambit series.

Sounds like everything necessary to make me want to upgrade from my Ambit2, and a direct competitor to the Fenix3. If it's not specifically for trail running and other outdoor multisports (i.e. an Ambit4)- it sure has all the hardware pieces for it. Suunto would have to intentionally reduce its firmware capabilities to make it NOT an Ambit 4.

Basically- what I'd like to purchase, is a Fenix 3... that works reliably and is accurate. (unlike the current offering from Garmin) It sure seems like that is what Suunto is going after. Anything else would just be a non-competitive product.

Take my money Suunto!

#6 ·
If I recall correctly, the X9 series had a cylindrical antenna, so I hope it's just as good or better than the Ambit one. For me, 95% of a training watch is accuracy and reliability and the other 5% form factor. If the watch is thinner than I hope battery life is not compromised either.

#8 ·
Lucky me had a chance to see it before it went private!

It kind of looked like a Suunto Core brushed steel:

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

With a Milk Duds looking orange strap and a Suunto Ambit looking face. The bezel was kind of like the same grey as the Fenix 3 Grey/Sapphire. So a blend of a Core and a fenix 3 look wise!

#10 ·
For those who weren't able to catch a glimpse of it.
Looks like the existing Ambit screen and Sapphire bezel. For me to upgrade from the Ambit3 to the successor (I realize that is not the Traverse) would require significant changes, including screen resolution and functionality...vibration alerts added to a bit thinner case won't do it for me, otherwise I am sticking with the Ambit3.

#22 ·
I can see the engineers at Suunto being pissed off. "You wanted vibration alerts, we squeezed that in there. You wanted to get rid of the antenna bump- we did that too. And now you're complaining that it's not pretty enough? then go buy the damn Fenix3 with a GPS that doesn't work and firmware that freezes- and see if you're any happier."

agreed. the Fenix is better looking. can't have everything.

#25 ·
Just an FYI - Ray from DCRAINMAKER.com told me today that the Traverse is expected to be available in October. I had heard Spring 2016 so I'm not sure if he has some inside knowledge or something. But October would be a lot better than Spring 2016! He also confirmed it will be available on clevertraining.com at some point for shipment in October.

Oh how I hope this is true.

#28 ·
Just an FYI - Ray from DCRAINMAKER.com told me today that the Traverse is expected to be available in October. I had heard Spring 2016 so I'm not sure if he has some inside knowledge or something. But October would be a lot better than Spring 2016! He also confirmed it will be available on clevertraining.com at some point for shipment in October.

Oh how I hope this is true.
I think the Traverse is comming in October and Spring 2016 is reserved for Ambit4.

#36 ·
Looks nice! I hope the final weight would be below 100g..

#38 ·
Very nice!

Significantly better looking when using negative display!:-!

Indeed looks very much like a next generation Core to me!b-)

But problematic is the price 399 Euro is to much for resin strap version. It should not be more then 250-299 Euro max!:rodekaart

#47 ·
I have mixed fellings about this watch. It is nice, but screen is so small and no temperature senzr,no maps, no HR and detailed HR info, no recovery time, no multisport - for most time i am hiking, but sometimes i run and swim and bike and some other sports, and in this sports this watch is useless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.