accuracy

Thread: accuracy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

accuracy

I love the look and feel of my Ball but I am not big on the accuracy.Does or did Ball every make a quartz watch?My dream would be a 40mm titanium hydrocarbon with quartz accuracy.Any hope?

Re: accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    I love the look and feel of my Ball but I am not big on the accuracy.Does or did Ball every make a quartz watch?My dream would be a 40mm titanium hydrocarbon with quartz accuracy.Any hope?
    Probably not much hope of you finding a new Ball with a quartz movement, as the brand is focused on mechanicals now. There are some older quartz pieces out there (e.g., the "Railroader"), but they are going to be extremely difficult to find. I suggest you call Ball Watch USA and see if they know whether any may be still around. I did see one about one year ago at an AD in Florida, but I believe it was sold a couple months after I visited that store.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

lvt

You will disappoint people when they realise that your Ball is a quartz. Honestly I think spending more than $500 in any quartz watch is a waste
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I have a Railroader. When I bought it there was one more in the display case at Jeff Hess' store Old Northeast Jewelers in Saint Petersburg FL. And I think, just maybe, Damir said he knew of one or two more out there with a dealer.
    yes I drive this and no you can't touch it

Quote Originally Posted by Timewaster View Post
    Probably not much hope of you finding a new Ball with a quartz movement, as the brand is focused on mechanicals now. There are some older quartz pieces out there (e.g., the "Railroader"), but they are going to be extremely difficult to find. I suggest you call Ball Watch USA and see if they know whether any may be still around. I did see one about one year ago at an AD in Florida, but I believe it was sold a couple months after I visited that store.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    If Ball produces a series of quartz watches that are thermocompensated, with COSC quartz accuracy, then I will get at least one. I have 3 Balls so far, and they are all very accurate, by mechanical watch standards; yet there are times I wish Ball produces a super accurate quartz, with the lume. BTW, I still see Ball ads that say something about accuracy under extreme circumstances being very important - if accuracy is as important in Ball's eyes as they claim, then why not produce a line of quartz watches which are always more accurate than mechanicals? I tend to believe people's actions more than their words these days.

heb

Hello elim,

I can appreciate the cachet of a Ball quartz watch, but that's what Luminox, et al is for.

Good luck,heb

Quote Originally Posted by huioliver492ka View Post
    BTW, I still see Ball ads that say something about accuracy under extreme circumstances being very important - if accuracy is as important in Ball's eyes as they claim, then why not produce a line of quartz watches which are always more accurate than mechanicals? I tend to believe people's actions more than their words these days.
    Well Ball's history is with mechanical (pocket) watches. The motto "accuracy under adverse conditions" stems from the watches that were regulated via the commission granted to Webb C. Ball after the Kipton, OH train crash, and has branched out to the ruggedness and accuracy of the models worn and sponsored by the present day Explorer's Club. I think Ball just wants to focus on moving forward in the luxury mechanical watch market, and is probably not as interested in quartz movements. As Heb pointed out, there are other brands like Luminox that have some pretty cool looking quartz timepieces with H3 tubes, if that is what you are looking for. I wouldn't hold out for Ball to start making quartz watches again. It's just not the direction they want to go. That being said, I'm not sure what is not to be believed about their motto. They offer great looking timepieces at very competitive prices, and all of their models have very good accuracy, and offer shock resistance and anti-magnetism - and those awesome tritium tubes!

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

well if u want a quartz accurate watch, get a quartz watch. If you enjoy the technology behind a automatic, then get an automatic. Simple as that =D
    Current collection: Oris F1 <<-- used to be daily wear, but now in winder
    Ball Engineer II Diver <-- wear on occassions
    Seiko Sumo <--- just nice to have a Japanese watch in the collection

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckMiller View Post
    I have a Railroader. When I bought it there was one more in the display case at Jeff Hess' store Old Northeast Jewelers in Saint Petersburg FL. And I think, just maybe, Damir said he knew of one or two more out there with a dealer.
    Yes there is still a blue dialed Railroader in the case at Old Northeast Jewelers. I just saw it.
    yes I drive this and no you can't touch it

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    You will disappoint people when they realise that your Ball is a quartz. Honestly I think spending more than $500 in any quartz watch is a waste
    IMHO: I have to 2nd. Although quartz watches are more accurate, I cannot spend more than$500 on it. It would feel very odd (Only the Spring Drive may break that record in time). You are buying an engine on your wrist or an art on your wrist. It's like spending $10,000 for an unknown painter because it's equally as appealing as the Picasso painting. ;)

But that can also change once I run out of space on my watch winder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information