Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ball tritium vs Deep Blue tritium

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ball tritium vs Deep Blue tritium

Left Deep Blue Daynight T100 65 tube

Middle Ball Spacemaster X-lume 80 tube?

Right Ball Hydrocarbon Mad Cow 15 tube?

Not comparing the watch, just the tube layout. In real sight the Deep Blue is the brightest(probably because of the tube color) the Deep Blue and the xlume are both "T" rated and the Mad Cow is T25. I would have thought the T25 would be just as bright considering it has less tubes. Assuming all three watches are as close to maximum tritium(and if my math is correct) the T25 should have more tritium per tube.
    Last edited by Greatsteaks; April 13th, 2013 at 05:04.

Re: Ball tritium vs Deep Blue tritium

Amount of tritium does not necessarily indicate brightness. Phosphor does, and as you mention, the color has a huge effect on the perceived brightness.

Also, T25 means <25mCi of tritium, and is required to be legal in the majority of the world. T means more than 25, but less than 100 mCi so you can't really calculate how much more any watch has - T watches can have 26 or 99 mCi - quite a range.

I do have a little beef with DB riding on Ball's coat tails regarding the hard work Ball did petitioning the NRC to get T100 approved.
    Hamilton Chronomatic B, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute 809, Ball Fireman 43, Tissot T-Touch II, Hamilton Khaki AirRace, Ball Worldtime Diver

The watch on the left looks exactly like the dial of the newest Ball Fireman Night Train also, which glows like a torch.
    Last edited by jjt2; April 13th, 2013 at 18:59.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

First green is the brightest tube color, but Ball goes into more color with tri and four color being more common. After your eyes have adjusted I find the green too harsh on the markers and prefer it on the hands only. The Blue seems to be easier on the eye once you adjust. Personally I've always felt the Aviator Dual Time has the best Ball Lume with a tie between the X-Lume or the SC DLC Glow.

Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    Amount of tritium does not necessarily indicate brightness. Phosphor does, and as you mention, the color has a huge effect on the perceived brightness.

Also, T25 means <25mCi of tritium, and is required to be legal in the majority of the world. T means more than 25, but less than 100 mCi so you can't really calculate how much more any watch has - T watches can have 26 or 99 mCi - quite a range.

I do have a little beef with DB riding on Ball's coat tails regarding the hard work Ball did petitioning the NRC to get T100 approved.
    Deep Blue is also incredibly sloppy with the way the deal with the T25 and T100 designations. You frequently find people mistakenly posting about T25 tubes and/or T100 tubes and those people are invariably Deep Blue owners. I've read some statements from DB's owner which strongly suggest even he doesn't fully understand what those designations mean and there are no such thing as T25 or T100 tubes.

While I have to admitt that initially I was confused about the "T", T100, T25 designation (and to a large degree I still am) I have found Ball also has "T100" printed on some of their watch dials. The whole system really makes no reasonable sence; a T25 watch can have 24.99mlc and a "T" or "T100" can have 25mlc of (tritium?) making both watches for the most part identical as far at the mlc goes. A t25 watch can technically have as little as .001mlc and a T watch can have as much as 100mcl? Or anywhere in between. I'm sure the technicalities have legal reasons behind them. Both Ball and Deep Blue (and others) use this confusion to their advantage for marketing and advertisement purposes.
    Before anyone gets on me about my loose understanding please note that I am no expert in any of this. This is just my understanding of a very confusing (to the average joe) consumer, me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatsteaks View Post
    The whole system really makes no reasonable sence; a T25 watch can have 24.99mlc and a "T" or "T100" can have 25mlc of (tritium?) making both watches for the most part identical as far at the mlc goes. A t25 watch can technically have as little as .001mlc and a T watch can have as much as 100mcl? Or anywhere in between.
    Correct. The reason is because it's a radioactive substance and therefore regulated. The standard all over the world is <25 (except the Netherlands, which bans it completely). Ball extensively researched the regulations and found that in the USA, up to 100 would be allowed under certain conditions, which their watches met, and they did the work to get the necessary licenses.

I agree about the T vs T100 nomenclature and the confusion about "T100/T25 tubes"
    Hamilton Chronomatic B, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute 809, Ball Fireman 43, Tissot T-Touch II, Hamilton Khaki AirRace, Ball Worldtime Diver

One thing I've wondered about was why Ball stuck with T100 despite it being a misprint originally. Perhaps they did it to differentiate between T as defined by ISO 3157, and they way they were using it. ISO 3157 says that timepieces can be marked T if they're under 5 mCi and T<25 if less than 25 mCi (this was written at the time when watches were still using tritium paints). Or they may have changed it so it clearly designated the limit. They said this in one interview a couple years ago: "The designation T is better explained as meaning "self-luminous". While It does not designate a limit, the licensing limit for BALL is 'less than 100mCi'."

Also, imo Ball doesn't use the whole T25 v T100 to their advantage, at least like other brands. If you look on their website, or in their catalog, there's no mention of T25 or T100 under a watch's features/specs. On the other hand, Deep Blue often uses T100 in their actual model names like Daynight 65 T-100. Android does the same thing with their model names. I've also seen many Android ADs call their tubes "t100 tubes" in their descriptions, but Android USA's actual website doesn't do this. And then there's ISOBrite who really misleads customers on their website: "Unlike ordinary tritium watches that use T25 tritium illumination, the Isobrite watch uses ultra bright T100 tritium illumination. This makes it 4 times brighter than the competition!" Ball doesn't do anything like the above AFAIK.
    Last edited by Citizen V; April 14th, 2013 at 19:14.

Garden City Park, New York, United States

Stan owner of deepblue is on these forums perhaps he can chime in . But DB seems to be p e of the more prolific sellers of t watches my DB recon defiantly

has more light than my t 25 luminox but has 4x the tubes. Either way it is a pretty awesome watch

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365960081.767927.jpg
Views: 7305
Size:  79.3 KB
    MikeCfromLI
    NYC\LI

Ball currently has two versions if their Arabic COSC ii. A t25(I assume for sale out if the US) and a T. I would like to see a side by side lume comparison. I am in the market for the T version only because I'm under the assumption that the T is brighter. Look at the dial on the first picture t25, and the very last picture of the Ball ad T.
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=75128069268

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information