My First Ball - Deep Quest
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My First Ball - Deep Quest

-->
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My First Ball - Deep Quest

I've been lurking on this forum for a while and Ball watches have always intrigued me... especially having never owned a tritium tube watch.

Don't ask me how I settled on the Deep Quest. I tend to prefer thin watches (max 14mm) so buying a 19mm tall watch is beyond me, but I'm smitten by the dial.

What I like about the watch:
    - the dial is just gorgeous and one of the best dials I've ever seen - multiple layers, dark and slightly shimmery black, beautiful applied markers, and big shiny hands
    - the lugs do a fantastic job of hugging my 6.7" wrist
    - love the solid-block case, nicely finished with a fine, smooth grain
    - love that it's Ti... if it was SS the thing would be way too heavy to wear (for me)
    - winding and unwinding the crown is a pleasure, it's nice and beefy, easy to grip and winds smoothly

What I'm undecided on:
    - can't tell if I like the bracelet or not, so far, it's fine but the square center links seems a bit odd to me
    - I thought the tubes would be brighter, but maybe because they're so small they don't emit a ton of light. Certainly enough to tell the time, but no where near enough to illuminate anything else

What I don't like:
    - maybe it's just my watch, but the bezel is probably one of the worst bezels I've every turned, it's too light and the clicks sound and feel very plasticky. I can see it getting bumped and moved every day. I would think with such a beast of a watch, it would have a very stiff bezel, but mine if very very light to turn
    - I think the bezel color is off... not sure if it would look better with a dark black bezel, but it has a Yachtmaster feel to it
    - In looking at the pics, I was undecided on the bezel scale - now I'm sure I don't like it. I would rather have markers all the way around or none of the micro ticks from 30 to 45
    - really don't like the butterfly clasp, where the clasps meet is a hump that digs into the wrist - really weird design
    - I guess I have to get some T-4 screw drivers if I ever want to take off the bracelet

Is it a keeper? For now, yes... as others have said, it wears very well for such a tall watch. I'm looking forward to taking it out to the beach this weekend.

Special thanks to Rob at Toppers - a real character and had the watch to me less than 24 hours from when I ordered it.

Name:  ball-deep-quest-01.jpg
Views: 5957
Size:  122.9 KB
    Name:  ball-deep-quest-03.jpg
Views: 4709
Size:  103.9 KB
    Name:  ball-deep-quest-04.jpg
Views: 3102
Size:  136.5 KB
    Name:  ball-deep-quest-05.jpg
Views: 3168
Size:  115.1 KB
    Name:  ball-deep-quest-06.jpg
Views: 2866
Size:  109.4 KB
    Name:  ball-deep-quest-07.jpg
Views: 2968
Size:  113.3 KB
    Name:  ball-deep-quest-08.jpg
Views: 3012
Size:  118.5 KB
    Name:  ball-deep-quest-11.jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  133.2 KB
    GW-5000 (x2), MTG-S1000BS, PRW-3000-2CR
    SBGA001, SBGC005
    16610LV, 116400GV, 116610LV

Re: My First Ball - Deep Quest

Congrats, fine choice sir, fine choice.

Very nice. Wear it in good health. Agree on the Ball bezel action. I recall my SM feeling "tinny" also - I think it must be a hollow bezel with a simple click spring. We had asked Ball several times for details on the bezel mechanism but never got any response. Agree also on the butterfly clasp. Looks nice but does not wear very comfortably. Nonetheless, still a lot to like.

Awesome watch! You can ask Rob about getting the non-tapered MadCow bracelet custom installed...it's a killer combo...
    Ball EHC Spacemaster X-Lume (original blue)

Quote Originally Posted by watchhound View Post
    Very nice. Wear it in good health. Agree on the Ball bezel action. I recall my SM feeling "tinny" also - I think it must be a hollow bezel with a simple click spring. We had asked Ball several times for details on the bezel mechanism but never got any response. Agree also on the butterfly clasp. Looks nice but does not wear very comfortably. Nonetheless, still a lot to like.
    I have the magnate with this clasp and never had any comfort issues.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Congrats on the DQ. Interesting that your lists of don't likes I see as all things I love about the watch especially the bezel. This is why I always stress in my reviews these are opinions based on how something fits me. Most of my other diver bezels feel crude compared to the DQ operation. What you feel is "too light" and "plasticky" I feel is very refined and a "well oiled" mechanism that is near perfect. Mine has never moved by accident and I've had one of the first few (As a note in 30 years of diving when actually at a DC stop I've never been near anything a bezel could bump into since your generally ascending in open water). Again personal preference I would rather have the scale at the 30-45 moved to the main pip for when I dive. If you followed the conversation about the DQ on the WUS DWF between myself and one of my Florida neighbors he prefers the scale at the pip for diving so again opinions from two separate view points. In the end I think it was cool of Ball to offer both scales to have options. For desk diving probably not as functional or pleasing to have both.

About the bracelet for those who have owned a Spacemaster watch this has a different curving to the clasp mechanism (we set them side by side to confirm this) so past experiences from the Spacemaster don't apply. So you need to try this..it is different.

As a final note it is nice to see another SBGA031 owner here. I need to talk with you about your 116610LV sometime off line.
    Last edited by samanator; November 23rd, 2011 at 14:51.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

One thing to add is a great lume shot :) .
    Currently Own:
    1.Ball Fireman Skylab LE
    2.Ball Fireman Storm Chaser DLC Glow LE
    3.Ball EHC Spacemaster Orbital LE
    4.Ball EM II Diver Freefall LE
    5.Ball EM II Diver Worldtime
    6.Montblanc Meisterstruck
    7.Rolex Submariner 166110LV
    8.Breitling Montbrilliant Datora
    9.Breitling Super Avenger 2 Military LE

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    About the bracelet for those who have owned a Spacemaster watch this has a different curving to the clasp mechanism (we set them side by side to confirm this) so past experiences from the Spacemaster don't apply. So you need to try this..it is different.

As a final note it is nice to see another SBGA031 owner here. I need to talk with you about your 116610LV sometime off line.
    For the record, in the past 24 hours, the bezel hasn't moved, so despite the feel, it seems fairly secure and unmoving despite dressing, undressing, putting on and off jackets, etc. All rigorous, tough, real-world field testing.

Thanks for the tip on the bracelet, I'll definitely look into it. So far, I'm getting used to the butterfly clasp... will give it another week, but I don't think it will last beyond the holidays (in terms of comfort).

Nice to see another SBGA031 owner! There definitely aren't many of us. I've been wearing mine almost non-stop since last December, so it's nice to give it a break.
    SBGA001, SBGC005

Quote Originally Posted by darren2how View Post
    One thing to add is a great lume shot :) .
    I don't have the photo skills for that, but I'll try with my iPhone.
    SBGA001, SBGC005

I think it looks great! Sorry to hear you don't like the dial and the cheap- like noises. Hopefully, you can get past that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information