I've been lurking on this forum for a while and Ball watches have always intrigued me... especially having never owned a tritium tube watch.
Don't ask me how I settled on the Deep Quest. I tend to prefer thin watches (max 14mm) so buying a 19mm tall watch is beyond me, but I'm smitten by the dial.
What I like about the watch:
- the dial is just gorgeous and one of the best dials I've ever seen - multiple layers, dark and slightly shimmery black, beautiful applied markers, and big shiny hands
- the lugs do a fantastic job of hugging my 6.7" wrist
- love the solid-block case, nicely finished with a fine, smooth grain
- love that it's Ti... if it was SS the thing would be way too heavy to wear (for me)
- winding and unwinding the crown is a pleasure, it's nice and beefy, easy to grip and winds smoothly
What I'm undecided on:
- can't tell if I like the bracelet or not, so far, it's fine but the square center links seems a bit odd to me
- I thought the tubes would be brighter, but maybe because they're so small they don't emit a ton of light. Certainly enough to tell the time, but no where near enough to illuminate anything else
What I don't like:
- maybe it's just my watch, but the bezel is probably one of the worst bezels I've every turned, it's too light and the clicks sound and feel very plasticky. I can see it getting bumped and moved every day. I would think with such a beast of a watch, it would have a very stiff bezel, but mine if very very light to turn
- I think the bezel color is off... not sure if it would look better with a dark black bezel, but it has a Yachtmaster feel to it
- In looking at the pics, I was undecided on the bezel scale - now I'm sure I don't like it. I would rather have markers all the way around or none of the micro ticks from 30 to 45
- really don't like the butterfly clasp, where the clasps meet is a hump that digs into the wrist - really weird design
- I guess I have to get some T-4 screw drivers if I ever want to take off the bracelet
Is it a keeper? For now, yes... as others have said, it wears very well for such a tall watch. I'm looking forward to taking it out to the beach this weekend.
Special thanks to Rob at Toppers - a real character and had the watch to me less than 24 hours from when I ordered it.