New Fireman NightBreaker pre-order it as you like it - Page 7
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: New Fireman NightBreaker pre-order it as you like it

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: New Fireman NightBreaker pre-order it as you like it

Hmm, just got tacit approval from the wife on this one. Showed her the pre-order page and she said, "It's a lot less than the other watches you've bought". So not a "No" then?

Anyway, I sold my Fireman Racer a while back and do miss it. And this one with the blue dial with white tritium is calling my name. Now, should I go bold and order it with the Arabic numerals or not?
    Karkarov and jcombs1 like this.

i feel like the fireman nigh train has a better color scheme

I was looking to get back into "automatic" watches, having sold my only two a few years ago (and regretting it). I have always wanted a Ball and this seems like as good a time as any... so I ordered the blue face with indexes and green tubes.
    Karkarov and jcombs1 like this.

Order placed - blue with Arabics. Now the waiting begins...

like the white lume

Those concentric circles are sweet. Nice to see that Ball is paying attention to the little details on the dial.
    Karkarov likes this.

I'm contemplating a Nightbreaker pre-order too, despite it being more than I was planning on spending on a watch in the near future. I've been admiring Ball's watches from afar for a while, but never taken the plunge, and the pre-order price certainly makes it more tempting.

Things I really like:
    The case - when I've looked at Balls at ADs before, the cases were what stood out for me;
    Size - 40mm is my sweet spot;
    Dial - I really like the concentric circle texture, and I'd definitely be opting for the blue, stick indexes version (for those hating on the dial, is it the numerals version that is putting people off?);
    Bracelet - I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to find a blue dial watch I like on a bracelet I'd like to keep it on, but I've liked the bracelet on Balls I've tried on previously. Does this look like the same bracelet as on other models, and if so could anyone care to comment on the quality of the bracelet?

Things that make me hesitant:
    White date window - even at the pre-order price I'd typically be wanting a date window that doesn't stand out so much (although I accept that this is more common on blue dial watches);
    Cyclops - this is typically a no-no for me, and in combination with the white date window this could be a bit much;
    No real life photos - obviously this is part of the compromise for the discounted pre-order price, but always makes me a little nervous to not see how dial colors etc will turn out;
    Price - might need to move a couple of watches to justify this purchase.

Anyone want to try to tempt me one way or the other?

Also, IF I was to order one I don't know what color tubes to go for. Can anyone please educate me on how much the different colors show up during daylight i.e. will the yellow and green tubes look distinctly yellow/green in daylight, or will it only become apparent in darker conditions?
    jcombs1 likes this.

Man this is tough. I've been eyeing used Fireman and Marvelights for a while now but haven't seen any deals to jump on. Any of those models in decent condition seems to still go for ~$1000, which makes this a pretty great deal. Not necessarily a huge fan of either dial unfortunately, that may be the dealbreaker. I also love the second hand counterweight, so unfortunate to see that missing...

but man a big part of me wants one anyways
    jcombs1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_huskisson View Post
    I'm contemplating a Nightbreaker pre-order too, despite it being more than I was planning on spending on a watch in the near future. I've been admiring Ball's watches from afar for a while, but never taken the plunge, and the pre-order price certainly makes it more tempting.

Things I really like:
    The case - when I've looked at Balls at ADs before, the cases were what stood out for me;
    Size - 40mm is my sweet spot;
    Dial - I really like the concentric circle texture, and I'd definitely be opting for the blue, stick indexes version (for those hating on the dial, is it the numerals version that is putting people off?);
    Bracelet - I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to find a blue dial watch I like on a bracelet I'd like to keep it on, but I've liked the bracelet on Balls I've tried on previously. Does this look like the same bracelet as on other models, and if so could anyone care to comment on the quality of the bracelet?

Things that make me hesitant:
    White date window - even at the pre-order price I'd typically be wanting a date window that doesn't stand out so much (although I accept that this is more common on blue dial watches);
    Cyclops - this is typically a no-no for me, and in combination with the white date window this could be a bit much;
    No real life photos - obviously this is part of the compromise for the discounted pre-order price, but always makes me a little nervous to not see how dial colors etc will turn out;
    Price - might need to move a couple of watches to justify this purchase.

Anyone want to try to tempt me one way or the other?

Also, IF I was to order one I don't know what color tubes to go for. Can anyone please educate me on how much the different colors show up during daylight i.e. will the yellow and green tubes look distinctly yellow/green in daylight, or will it only become apparent in darker conditions?
    I'm likely to pre order this also but not completely certain myself so I'm probably not going to sway you either way. I'd add to your list the 100m WR as a pro and maybe move price to the pro side of the equation.

Yes, it's $800 but that's about what used Firemans seem to bring and they are in short supply and I've moved a couple of watches in the last month so I've got that job completed. Cyclops can be removed but it should be an option and I was surprised when Ball told me it wasn't.

Another bonus to me is that the design seems to straddle the dress/sport Watch vibe perfectly. It's not a dress watch but I don't need one and I do think it could be dressed up with a nice leather strap.

I am also a little confused about what color Tritium to select. I'm going with the silver dial with indices, I think, so I may try the white tubes. Hopefully, someone will provide some insight on this. I've had a couple of Tritium watches and it really doesn't come into play in reasonable day light so not sure it matters all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by jcombs1 View Post
    Yes, it's $800 but that's about what used Firemans seem to bring and they are in short supply and I've moved a couple of watches in the last month so I've got that job completed. Cyclops can be removed but it should be an option and I was surprised when Ball told me it wasn't.
    I think the cyclops being optional would really have tipped the balance for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jcombs1 View Post
    Another bonus to me is that the design seems to straddle the dress/sport Watch vibe perfectly. It's not a dress watch but I don't need one and I do think it could be dressed up with a nice leather strap.
    Completely agree with this. I like how it has a consistent sporty/dressy vibe throughout the design. I see some watch designs that have some sporty elements and some dressy elements in an attempt to achieve this aesthetic, but end up looking a bit mis-matched.

Still contemplating.
    jcombs1 likes this.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information