Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ezm3 or u1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ezm3 or u1

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and am new to Sinn. I am working on my first Sinn purchase!!!! I understand there was a bit of a melt down on this forum so please forgive me if this is a question asked before. I have read as much as I could about the different models and am now considering the ezm3 and the U1. I haven't found any opinions or reviews on the emz3 from owners and was just after anyones opinion of whether the design is better of one or the other or the U-boot steel is something really special (even if u1 doesn't have the trocken capsule). I know they look very different (I like them both!!), the engineering and quality of each of them is what interests me the most.

Thankyou in advance!

Cheers Stroop

Re: ezm3 or u1

EZM3 would be my choice. I had one for around a year, and it was a great tool watch. I haven't owned a U1, so I couldn't give you an answer on that. I prefer the look of the EZM3 over the U1...
    Aude,Tace, Vide
    Virtus Junxit, Mors Non Separabit

I'd choose EZM3 over U1. First reason is that the U1 just came out, while EZM3 will be in short supply soon. Secondly, with the submarine steel you can wait to grab the used U1 in mint condition plus a bargain. :-D

Retired and living in the mountains of Northeast Pennsylvania

EZM3. It has more technical features than the U1. The one advantage the U1 has is the super, super hard sub steel.
    Steve

My favorite diver? Jessica Alba, of course!

Just to balance things up a little.

The U1 is also hard to come by even though it is a new launch. I understand there is a waiting period for the U1 (varies from country to country and the various ADs in different locations).

I am equally sure the EZM 3 is in short supply too !

At the end of the day, it is your call. Whatever your choice, it will still be a Sinn

U1 all the way. It's just a cooler watch.

Welcome to our forum!

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper
    EZM3. It has more technical features than the U1. The one advantage the U1 has is the super, super hard sub steel.
    Well, to be precise, only the bezel of the U1 is tegimented ... the case has a hardness of 300 HV which is higher than the usual ca. 210 HV of regular stainless steel, but not in the league of ice-hardened steel (710 HV, Sinn 756/I and Damasko watches) or tegiment (upwards of 1200 HV).

The EZM3 has the dry capsule (it prevents fogging up of the inside of the crystal in extreme temperature changes, and it is antimagnetic rated to 80,000 A/m.

Has anyone heard whether the U1 has a special antimagnetic rating in excess of the ISO rate of 4,800 A/m?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Hi everyone,
    thanks for your input so far! great to get so many replies after less than a day!

I managed to get a catalogue (nice hard cover production, with lots of info!) from a depot here in Germany and even though my German is pretty ordinary, I read in the catalogue that the U-boot Steel, not only being harder than normal steel carries anti-magnetic properties of its own and is also especially resistant to the corrosive properties of seewater, (which would be handy in a submarine!) I guess the german military doesn't reeeally want the exact anti-magnetic properties known to the world, other wise I'm sure they would publish the figures. I think it says that all of Sinns watches exceeds the 4800A/m standards rating. 'nuff said maybe?! Makes me wonder why they didn't put the trocken capsule in the U1 when that seems to be the obvious choice for pro divers? Also the anti-cold oil? Maybe to keep the price down? I've handled both watches and let me just say that the quality of workmanship is excellent and wearing abilites of U1 and U2 are brilliant for the size of watches that they are. The technology and engineering in the EZM3 seems really special too though. Did i mention the U1 is less expensive!!!!! by 200 euro!

Just remembered, the colour red is significantly dulled (almost invisible on a black background) when diving underwater, now look at the face of the u2...ooo clevvver! They just get better and better!

Cheers Stroop

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader

Has anyone heard whether the U1 has a special antimagnetic rating in excess of the ISO rate of 4,800 A/m?
    Unless the watch carries one of these, it is rated to the DIN 8309 standard. SO it is not rated beyond 4800a/m unless I have missed it.
    The per the Sinn catologue designates anti-magnetic protection to 80,000a/m.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroop
    Makes me wonder why they didn't put the trocken capsule in the U1 when that seems to be the obvious choice for pro divers? Also the anti-cold oil? Maybe to keep the price down?
    That's my assumption as well ... the U1 is extremely competitively priced, IMO. And Sinn would probably need to reserve some features (like a domed crystal and the dry capsules - besides the GMT function) to set the much more expensive U2 apart from the U1 ...

BTW, from what I heard, Sinn use the special oil in the U1, too, for simplicity's sake , but do not advertise it (see my thoughts on the need to justify the price differential between the U1 and U2).
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information