Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Sinn UX review

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Sinn UX review

Having just spent many moneys on buying a Sinn UX, I took some photos and wrote an amateur's review. Then I found there wasn't anywhere to put it (I know, I know, you don't like quartz so you probably have some suggestions as to where I should put it!). Anyway, just in case anyone is interested, I posted it in the Reviews section of the Main Forum.

Re: Sinn UX review

artec, post it here where your fellow "SINNers" will be sure to see it. Cheers, Bill P.

Absolutely....WE love the UX....me anyway..
    Omega | Tudor | Sinn

You speak and I obey!

Sinn UX, an amateurís review.

I donít claim to be a watch collectorÖ. In fact I donít want to be a collector, but I seem to have accumulated five. Four of the five, I feel I have to treat gently and carefully, to make sure I scratch and scrape them as little as possible. I value three of the four considerably more than the fourth and do my best to nurse them.

Because I quite often have to crawl about wrecked cars and trucks, sometimes measuring brake push-rod travel on dead or wounded 18-wheelers, I decided that I wanted a really tough watch, one that I could wear regardless of what I was doing, but I wasnít willing to give up on serious accuracy. All this led me to the Sinn UX, which is made of German U-boat steel and the bezel is then further hardened. There is a hardened bracelet, too. It looks the part, as you can see:

But at the same time, it has a certain purposeful elegance, at least to my eye.

Presumably because itís supposed to be depth resistance to 5,000 metres, over 16,400 ft, it has a screw-down crown, shown here:

And because itís intended for use by divers, the bracelet can be expanded to be worn outside the wet-suit:

and the back is screwed in, too:

Like most quartz watches, even the best of them, there is some misalignment between the seconds hand and the circumferential markers, but the UX seems to be better than most in this respect and the alignment is usually about like this:

The date is at 3 oíclock and the number is pretty smallÖ. perhaps because dates are not of much significance when one is diving. Probably because case is oil-filled the edges of the date window are virtually invisible. The filling is some form of Teflon oil (I didnít know there was such a thing), maybe selected to reduce friction and, like all oil, virtually incompressible.

The bracelet is held together with socket-head cap-screws:

Itís very easy and convenient to adjust the length. The watch is supplied with a pair of Allen keys plus a spring-bar tool, shown here with the three links I removed from mine for a fit:

and here are the three links with one separated and showing the cap-screws.

Although the watch is a COSC certified chronometer, which means essentially that it should keep time within 25.5 seconds a year, temperatures permitting, there are no rules about how long one should wear it each day. It doesnít have a perpetual calendar and the hour hand isnít independently adjustable. So you must resign yourself to changing the date for the short months, which is easily done, and resetting the watch for daylight saving changes.

While weíre on short-comings, I find the lume on the hands and indicators mediocre at best, Considering their size, the lume isnít very bright and doesnít last very long, either. The clasp of the bracelet is a pressing rather than a machined component and seems out of tune with the otherwise excellent quality. In mitigation this may be partly laid at the door of the quick expansion feature. And finally, because of the oil filling, when the battery must be replaced, after seven years, the watch has to go back to Germany and I understand that sending watches there can be a real pain.

On the plus side, because the watch is sold directly, without the middle-man profit component, it is reasonably priced for what youíre getting.

Although there is absolutely no pretence at ornamentation or bling, the watch is well made, well and consistently finished. Its design and weight give it an air of invincibility and indestructibility that I hope is not an illusion.
    gaopa, maxpowerman and ArghZombies like this.

Thanks for the review and for the nice pictures (what's your setup?).

Sounds like you're hoping the watch not to get scratched or scraped, had you read comments about that? How has it been doing so far in that respect?

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Thanks for the review and for the nice pictures (what's your setup?).
    +1

Great review! One thing I noticed is that Sinn added some new text on the caseback: "5000 m / 500 bar." That's a recent change, as my UX does not show its depth rating (I bought mine new in 2010). Also it's not there in the current picture of the UX caseback on Sinn's website.

Thanks for the responses...... To answer, first Webvan. I've only had it just over a week and so far haven't had to expose it to anything nasty. My impression, though, is that it will probably do more damage to anything else than anything will do to it!. Mt camera's a Nikon D 7000 and I was using a 105 mm Micro Nikkor with the watch in a folding diffuser tent. It's the easiest way to get uniform light on a small subject without trouble from highlights..... though they wouldn't be much of a problem with the UX!. I've found that the hardest thing in photographing watches is getting them clean enough so that they don't look as if you could plant corn.
    To Tricktock, again, thank you. Although I have no information on the subject, mine is marked as an EZM and a "Hydro" on the dial and there's another model with "GSG 9" on the dial, and the crown at 10 o'clock instead of 4. And there's yet another one with a black bezel, called an SDR. I can't find pictures of their backs so I don't know what claims they're making, if any. Some-one else asked how old mine was because he had heard that UX no longer had screw-down crowns. I have (and had) no manufacturing date on mine but it really seems unlikely that Sinn would drop such a relatively inexpensive feature when they are claiming 5000 metre depth resistance.
    I forgot to menthion in the review that mine does exhibit occasional traces of the dreaded "bounce" of the seconds hand. I don't find it in the least offensive or even noticeable unless I look for it...... as demonstrated by my forgetting to put it in the review!

Quote Originally Posted by TrickTock View Post
    One thing I noticed is that Sinn added some new text on the caseback: "5000 m / 500 bar."
    Interesting that Sinn felt the need to add a depth rating: sure beats the Deep Sea's 3900 meters.

Congrats.

I really like mine too, but I don't know why Sinn can't conquer the lume issue. It is my only complaint about the brand in general....
    "Some people work for a living, me, I'd rather fly!"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information