U2 Pics 20,000 hrs / 8 yrs later & what -45c looks like
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: U2 Pics 20,000 hrs / 8 yrs later & what -45c looks like

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Emeritus

U2 Pics 20,000 hrs / 8 yrs later & what -45c looks like

Hi guys, Me again Timothy Patrick aka Tim got his boots back. In a companion to my update and as promised some pics of my U2 which is now starting its 9th year of personal ownership. These pics done quick and dirty in the early morning hours at my local Tim Hortons. If you look closely between the 3 and 4 hashmarks near the red 7 and 8 numbers, you will see the scratch marks on the a/r coating. Otherwise, not bad eh?

Oh yeah, the accuracy is getting better. Today, it was only out 50 seconds. Must have taken a good bump somewhere.

And here is the state of the copper sulphate site glass

And the obligatory selfie ......

It's prety damn cold up here and has been for a long time now. Deepest darkest winter. For those of you who live in much nicer, warmer climate, this is what -45c (-55 wind chill) looks like.

The fog in the air is ice crystals. When it's super deadly cold, that's what you get. We call it ice fog. The hydro lines hum and the smoke from chimneys falls to the ground. The seats in vehicles are like concrete. It's nasty and dangerous.

Anyway, all for now.
    Tim

Re: U2 Pics 20,000 hrs / 8 yrs later & what -45c looks like

Thanks for sharing, Tim….. BRRRRRRR! Too cold for me as I'm used to our weather in JAWJA! Cheers y'all, Bill P.

Wow that's scary cold...I would die there...

Sent from the dark side
    lvt likes this.
    I want to be a ONE watch guy!!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Patrick View Post

The fog in the air is ice crystals. When it's super deadly cold, that's what you get. We call it ice fog. The hydro lines hum and the smoke from chimneys falls to the ground. The seats in vehicles are like concrete. It's nasty and dangerous.

Anyway, all for now.
    Tim
    We call it diamond dust in Alberta. Worst we've had so far this year is -36. Ice crystals are real purdy on a sunny day, though. But man, is that cold!

Last edited by Statius; January 2nd, 2014 at 17:22.
    Timothy Patrick and Wycombe like this.
    Labitur occulte fallitque volatilis aetas, et nihil est annis velocius. Ovid Met. 10.519-20.

Hidden Content

lvt

Do you have to add some kind of additives to the fuel or engine oil so the car could run under such severe weather ? I don't think I could even start my car out there :P
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Well worn and well used Sinn watches are always good to see!

Keep warm and thanks for posting!
    I know nothing about watches, just what I like.

damn, that's cold! Has the movement been serviced in those 8 years?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Do you have to add some kind of additives to the fuel or engine oil so the car could run under such severe weather ? I don't think I could even start my car out there :P
    Well, we have block heaters for the vehicle. They are sold that way up here. In southern Ontario they are usually not and must be added if your coming up here in winter. This means plugging in your truck to keep your block warm. No real additives but it's all about the battery. You want your car to start, you need a good battery with lots of cold cranking amps and a wonderful invention called a battery blanket. You wrap this around your battery and plug it in and it keeps your battery toasty warm.

Today, at the coffee shop after work, lots of complaining of no starts. Lots of boosting. My buddy told me he tried to boost his wife's car this morning and the booster cables were froze, he couldn't stretch them out. The plastic insulation broke off. Nuts!! Vehicles in this weather run terrible. The oil is sludge and just think about your diffs. Tires are frozen in position and the flat spot just goes "bump, bump, bump" for miles until they warm up. You have to run your vehicle for a long time to warm it up before going.

Not fun. Just nasty. My friend told me only two cars on his block started this morning. Lots of guys didn't make it to work as they couldn't get their cars to run. Taxis were hours late. No deliveries until this afternoon. All the trucks were no starts.

I miss summer and I miss my old Kawasaki 750.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    damn, that's cold! Has the movement been serviced in those 8 years?
    Hi David. No servicing yet. Funny thing. It was really running fast and I put it away for a while and when I started to wear it again, it wasn't as bad. In fact, it's getting better. Yesterday, it was only out 35secs. How 'bout that!

The site glass seems ok so it looks like the oils haven't been contaminated much and this probably explains why it's capable of extended periods between spa treatments.

I won't send it in until it starts to get really bad accuracy and/or the site glass turns a real dark blue. I'm going to try for nine years, wish me luck.

So, this is the point in the ownership experience documentation where it gets interesting. For the first 5 years or so, you expect the watch to run fine and at this point, most watches are now looking for a spa treatment (your experience may vary depending on the watch). After 5 years, well, this is the test for all the tech. This is where we will find out how all this pristine movement environment stuff (argon gas and copper sulphate capsule, viton gaskets, superior oils) will prolong the normal operating period. It's on it's ninth year now.

Sinn, are you out there. This is where you find out if all of this stuff is really worth the research and development and implementation. This is where you find out if your on the right track. I think you are. I am impressed with the fact that I have taken this baby to hell and back and I'm now starting the ninth year. Mr. Schmidt, Good Job!

You know I will keep you all updated.

Tim
    Beedoo, heebs, Zidane and 1 others like this.

7.10am in the UK.....coffee pot on.....another update.....what a great start to the day! I'm hooked
    .....any time is, of course, party time

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information