Thread: The birth of a Watch Brand

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: The birth of a Watch Brand

Excellent!!
    All the luck in the world, i look forward to placing my order !!

Carlos,

I would love to hear some of the background on the name of your company and why you chose it. Also it would be great to hear about your history in regards to watches and how you came about going on this venture. If you are not ready to disclose any of that no problem. I just ask as I enjoy feeling a closer link to a brand that I might do business with and feel a connection with the owner.

Best Regards
    Regards

Barry

Inactive

after you sell your 1st watch model, I want to know if theres going to be a kegger party to celebrate. isn't it written that the owner springs for the 1st round of beers?

Where should I start with, maybe better to start talking about me. I am a 30 years old Portuguese guy that started to work mainly in IT, more in particular with SAP products. Since child I have always been interested in watches, and can't remember myself without wearing one.
    When I was a teen I was all digital. Remember when I used to love to play with casio digital alarm/chrono watches (over 24 years ago), later on with Timex Indiglo ones with the pretty cool glowing blue in the dark (maybe started to be a lume aficcionado by then). Analog watches looked pretty boring in those days. However when I was about 16 years old I got from my parents a swatch analog chrono with tachymeter. I started to realize that analog watches could also be nice to wear with and from then on never switched back to digital. However I was still wearing quartz. When I was 18 years old I got as gift a Seiko Kinetic all stainless steel with a beautiful light blue dial. It was my best watch till then and I realy loved it. Couldn't even think of me without it. It wasn't still a mechanical watch but I was in transition to it.
    About 5 years ago as I started to get better off and was living on my own I got myself my first mechanical watch. An IWC Fliegerchronograph which was almost love at first sight. From then onward I only wanted to wear mechanical watches. After it I bought a few Vixa watches, an Ikepod chronograph, some Poljot ones, so you can see I started to collect and wear a few mechanical watches. As I was wearing them I became more and more fascinated how such small machines could be able to endure so many adversities (shocks, bumps, temperature differences, ...) and still be so reliable and consistent. As my interest in watches started to grow something would tell me one day I would be able to have my own watch brand. It was something down deep telling me though at same time latent as years passed and never had that chance.
    However this year I happened to find Watchuseek Watch Forums and I realized others where fulfilling my dream. I got excited and told myself take the risk and fulfill it. I started to investigate, looked for factories around Europe, China and in the end made my decision of producing watches and in China as I mentioned in presentation post (quality is improving, reliability as well, still no issues with access to movements, plenty of innovation occurring made me go via this route).
    Now that I have talked a bit about me let me tell you about the brand and why I have decided to name it Prometheus. As some of you are aware Prometheus was a Greek Titan that took fire from the Gods and offered it to humanity so that we could be able to live better and prosper. I see it as a metaphor of what is happening nowadays.
    We could see Swiss Horlogerie as Gods that try to keep us mortals apart (with the very high prices asked) from the mechanical world while the Chinese are trying to provide timepieces to the masses, making them reachable to many more that will be able to share our love for mechanical time pieces.

That is a great idea as a matter of fact, just wonder how can we all meet.

stuffler,mike

Good luck

Interesting story and possibly an inspiration to those that think you have a long history of horological experience to start and succeed with a watch brand. It's great that you gave somebody such as Brian an oppurtunity to realize a dream as well. Plenty will be watching to see how the story unfolds.

Best of Luck
    Regards

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by sapcmc View Post
    That is a great idea as a matter of fact, just wonder how can we all meet.
    If you are in New York on Saturday October 18th there is a dive watch GTG (Get together) being planned. Of course you would have to bring prototypes or samples.

Send me a PM for details
    Regards

Barry

New York is a bit too far for me .

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Good luck to you Carlos, and I must say I'm absolutely delighted for Brian.
    +1 to Tribe's comment... there is really a small army of us who wanted this to happen and it's happening BETTER than any of us anticipated... I'm real excited about brian and I'm even more excited that this is happening in such a good way...

WAY A GO BRIAN! WAY A GO INDEED... !
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information