Archie Luxury - WTF? - Page 5
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Archie Luxury - WTF?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Archie Luxury - WTF?

I think TAG garner the snobbery around them because they sell, sell well and are popular that's pretty much it. They're a go to name in the general public's mind as a "luxury" brand. I'd bet good money that in a straw poll in most places in the world TAG would be comfortably ahead of Omega, never mind any of the others. Rolex would be only one with bigger brand recognition IMHO. Some would argue they went through a period of in the moment fashion that looks awkward now, but show me a watch brand that hasn't.* Others would argue they used low end movements, but again show me any of the main names that haven't. Even Patek was firing out "fashion watches" covered in bling and powered by a quartz movement.

The fact is we all buy into marketing and history(real, fluffed up, or imagined) and "authenticity" and make our choices accordingly. In this TAG Heuer aren't outliers who push it more than anyone else, in fact do it less than many** so I don't really see why they get the level of stick they get.

I say this as someone who isn't that enamoured with TAG offerings. I have one vintage Heuer and I wouldn't mind a couple of others. TAGs not so much, but it's a personal aesthetic thing with me. I just don't "get" their designs in general and wouldn't if they had another name on the dial.

*including Rolex whose design rate is positively glacial, dull even. Then again that's part of their appeal to many I'd imagine. Like Porsche, a slow evolution that gets the aficionados hot under the collar over tiny changes.

** Panerai is an almost entirely "made up" brand. Lange disappeared from view for over 40 years and they'd be considered beyond reproach among many WIS. Omega regularly puff up their history, sometimes to a farcical level(and even shill bid on high end auctions to pump up the brand). The list is long.

I think Archie has gone away for a bit after going insane...we can only hope :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKIyqLIc4L0

He just an on-line comedian, not a very good one

Quote Originally Posted by imagwai View Post
    I think Archie has gone away for a bit after going insane...we can only hope :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKIyqLIc4L0
    Unfortunately I think he's back already...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2dGX_D3u3c

Quote Originally Posted by Richerson View Post
    He just an on-line comedian, not a very good one
    I thought this too, that it was all a comedy act, but the next last video he posted kinda turned me around - this guy doesn't seem entirebly stable. :(

ARCHIELUXURY CLOSES THE CHANNEL DUE TO MENTAL ILLNESS - YouTube
    Once upon a time, I was pretty f#¤%&/ awesome.

The man needs to take his meds on a regular basis. Too bad he has no loved ones around him to help him control himself.

In general, the prognosis for persons in his position is not good. Their usual fate is, lacking a support structure, they stop seeking help then they disappear. I once asked a large city ER shrink where they go... he said the assumption is they end up dead as a result of their own hand or as a result of a situation into which they place themselves due to their poor decision skills.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

For anyone who thinks the Archie thing isn't satire:
    Luxury’s Jekyll and Hyde: Couth and Classy Paul Pluta Creates Crass and Cunning Archie Luxury, Runs YouTube Channel on Luxury Wristwatches, Other Luxury Items; Uses Irreverence to Attract Attention | CYInterview

Don't bother with the actual article; listen to the interview. Very few people are (in real life) as douchey as Archie, its just an act people!
    Last edited by GOJIN; July 12th, 2015 at 13:18.
    saeglopuralifi likes this.

Very few but yes there are some!
    Just a few weeks ago I went to the Tourneau watch shop on 57th street. I was dressed way down in jeans and a old "s..." t-shirt. I apologized for my appearance, but in there they were very nice and courteous and didn't care how I looked. I was shopping for a Omega seamaster PO. But the sales guy was extremely helpful and also showed me several other IWC's and Breitling' after I told him a little about my little collection and "wants".

Now they didn't have the planet ocean that I was looking for and he directed me to the Omega boutique over on 5th ave. When i got there I was treated like a street urchin.

Yea there are snobs like this guy, but not just living on the interweb, you are judged buy not just your watches but your appearance and clothing as well. The are also a lot of tag owners that fall into these categories so their feathers get ruffled when someone mentions that TAGHeuer is truly not a luxury brand...
    TAG Heuer: original F1 "glow dial" WA1211, TAG Heuer: 1500 series WD1211, TAG Heuer: formula1 GMT WAZ211A, Omega: SMPq ref.2221.80, IWC: Porsche design "Ocean" ref.3529, Rolex: Explorer II ref.16570, Breitling: Avenger II GMT, Citizen: Nighthawk A-T

Wait a second, people listen to a foul mouthed, ugly, fat guy with a bad hair cut tell them what luxury goods to buy?

GET AN OMEGA SPEEDMASTER MAN ON THE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOON F***ARS!!!
    I like to watch the funny fat man with the weird mole on his head tell me which watches are Dogsh*t.
    I only take his REALLY old videos seriously since those videos did not have him swearing like a sailor.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information