Carrera Calibre 5 owners....................
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Carrera Calibre 5 owners....................

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ard

Carrera Calibre 5 owners....................

I'm starting to warm up to my new Carrera.

I finally removed a half link and moved one whole link over to the 12 O clock side of the bracelet. I like the clasp buttons to be centered right on the bottom of my wrist so getting the bracelet links right is important for me. I intend to wear the watch for the next few days while on a trip. As far as I know it runs a little fast and I'll know when I get home how much. If I recall it's about 5 - 7 seconds / 24 hours.

As I've had it on my arm today I can't help but to compare it to my old Aqua Terra. this watch has a cream dial and the A.T. had the slate gray Teak dial but this watch reminds me of the style. I've wanted one of these for the past 4 years so I really hope I get to like it. Watches are funny that way, you fall for an image, a look but those have been transmitted to you by pictures or when looking at the watch in a store. Then comes the day when you have one in a box in the Armoire and you are caught wondering whether or not you're going to enjoy owning it.

Very much like the Aqua Terra I think,

Ard
    jrh1194, dotti and mpalmer like this.

Re: Carrera Calibre 5 owners....................

I recall you mentioning this before. Do you feel you like the AT better now that you have the Carrera in the flesh? It is true what you say in that the idea of owning a watch could be great and when you actually get it, you realize it is not for you. I think both designs are very similar but I am more a fan of the Carrera bracelet. Do you feel you like the Omega for brand reasons? Not to seem shallow but sometimes wearing a brand we perceive as having higher recognition allows us to accept or oversee any flaws a bit better because we know it carries a bit more perceived status on the wrist.

Either way you cant lose. I think your Carrera looks amazing. My favorite Carrera design, followed shortly behind by the War201e blue dial day/date which might be too thick in its proportions. My favorite modern design in a watch is a meaty dress style watch with a nice thick bracelet and see thru case back with nice decorated movement and simple design layout and a clasp design like the Carrera. So this is why I am a fan. The AT would fill this bill also but I do not like a butterfly clasp design.
    Last edited by Rakumi; September 29th, 2016 at 15:27.

HI Ard, that is a stunning watch. I believe this watch is a great representation of the value Tag Heuer can present. If you don't love it though, that's ok, it happens to all of us. There are a lot of fine watches that many people love, that I don't, taste differs that all. Anyhow hope you can fall in love because its a stellar piece. If not sell it to someone who will.

Ard

Hello,

I'm back, to answer some of Rakumi's points first; I no longer own the Aqua Terra. I sold it quite some time back and can't give any real reason why. It was nice but I wanted something different than the A.T. When I bought it I was sure it would become 'The ' watch but it was just a watch. After I sold that watch I chilled out for a while then got something I do really enjoy........

I have the bracelet also;

The bracelet on those watches are also top shelf but I thought it was just too much flash so I use the strap.

The real attraction is the dial and the glow supplied by the tritium tubes, even the moon lights up nicely.

There's a lot of texture in that face.

But we're talking about Carrera's here so I can now tell you that I will be keeping and enjoying this one for sure. It is just perfect.

And Maiden, thank you for continuing this conversation also, I love the Carrera and will post some new and better pictures now :)

Ya gotta love the bracelet!

And the rest as well..........

I spent the weekend working at the cabin and wore the watch for the trip. It's a bush property 75 miles off road and I can bet I have the only Carrera in that area. I use all my watches as every day wear types and which ever I have in use becomes the fishing guide watch - the cabin project watch or the go to town watch, whatever life involves they get used every day.

Ard
    Last edited by Ard; September 29th, 2016 at 06:54.
    gaopa and liwang22 like this.

Pictures look great Ard and yes the bracelet is fantastic on this watch!

I am glad you enjoy it. It is a fantastic watch. Hey let me ask you something a little off topic. I own a AR WAY2110 which uses a calibre 5 movement as well. Now I have not had any issues with it, including no crown issues which people say was a problem with the older versions. But the other day I was winding it and it began to spin the rotor from me manually winding the crown. It is still working but it vibrates like a mad engine when I wind it do to the spinning rotor. Have you experienced this before when winding your calibre 5?

Ard

No but the only time I hand wound it using the crown was the day it arrived. At that time I gave it just enough winding to get it running, I set the time and then began wearing it. Whatever is going on with your watch isn't normal. I'm far from a movement expert, my skills end at making adjustments to the timekeeping with the internal regulators. Perhaps some googling will answer the question as to what is causing the problem.

I may have unusual watch use habits because once I begin wearing one I don't take it off unless showering. Other than that I wear them 24/7 until I finally change to something else. When the change occurs if the new watch is an automatic I put it on a winder for a while before setting time and beginning use.

Well so far I do not know if it is worth tampering with or investigating because it still winds and still ticks as normal with no visual issues with the hands going round and round. Just simply, spinning the crown at just the right slow pace, it catches the rotor and spins it. Maybe it would be cool if all movements worked like that? lol.. I dont know.

Ard

I hope that you don't have any problems with it.

Bump for a great carrera. Did you brush the sides of the case and bracelet? It looks brushed instead of polished. I kind of have the black dial with gold markers nudging me a bit.
    Current collection favorites.
    Ebel 1911 cal 137 (if had to choose only one watch this would be it)
    Breitling Aerospace 2012
    Oris TT3
    Bvlgari Diagono magnesium
    Fossil Swiss fsw1002
    Invicta 15587

Bulova Marine Star 98G05
    Accurton 218 Tuning Fork
    Orient Racing "Enduro" CDB02001W
    1967 Longines Grand Prize
    Timex Ironman classic
    Cravelle by Bulova
    1961 Bulova black dial